It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: prepping for kitties
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:11 am 

My girlfriend and I have two kitties, they are roughly 8-10 months old, and are rowdy as all hell. I've been looking into prepping for dogs because I also have two dogs, though they live at my parents' house (the little one is more like my dad's while the big one is all mine). Anyways, I've seen a ton of options and started prepping, but I haven't seen much for kitties. I once read in a pet forum someone saying that cats should simply be let loose since they are almost ferral anyways. I couldn't answer because I had no account, but if anyone has ever had a cat they know that even though they can be very ferral they still are attached to their human/s and they will suffer greatly if left to their own devices.

I love my baby girl with all my heart and my gf adores her little guy, we get nervous about them thinking on any BO scenario and there's been extremely heavy rains and overall ugly weather in my city sometimes with black outs where we live. So I'm really concerned about having to bug out to my parents' house (which is in a better area than ours) and not know how to or what to do.

Anyone has any ideas about the basics? Would it be better to each carry a cat or to mush them into one single carrier? Are the bubble backpacks a good choice or are they flimsy? What about food and water? (our fur babies eat only cat chow, otherwise they get sick x_x)
Sorry about all the questions, it's just that cats are far more delicate and tricky than dogs and I don't want them to have to suffer badly in a BO event.

Thank you for your attention!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: prepping for kitties
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 am 

I noticed a lot of pets getting evacuated in the LA floods. Most of the dogs and larger animals were loose or hand held. Every cat was in a carrier.

We keep our dog's food and water in one convenient carry container/ bowl:

This is good for a few days. For longer term there is a tub we keep more supplies in.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:16 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Welcome to the forums; please consider also posting in the Introductions subforum so others can also welcome you to ZS.

It's an excellent question and a valid concern that has come up before. I've never owned a cat, but you're right their behavior and needs are very different from dogs. And +1 that they can become very attached to their humans.

Here are a few prior threads that might contain some useful information:

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117403
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24096
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=115794 (This one looks particularly on point)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:16 am 

We took our new kittens camping a few weeks ago. My wife feels that if we get them used to this -it will be easier for the rest of their lives. It went better than I expected. Here are some thoughts:

--A kennel large enough for them to walk around in. Smaller would do but why make them uncomfortable?
--A harness and leash. They will slip from just a collar and they enjoyed exploring.
--Food and water.
--A full-size, high-sided litter box. We tried a small travel-size first but they only played in it and got litter everywhere. Once there was a full-size, set up in the back of the car. They would climb back there and use it. Smelly? Certainly but a kitten's gotta go. High-sides contained the mess and was easier to carry.

HTH,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:43 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

This was posted earlier but it is my discussion the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24096

Several points:
Cats do not like to travel (most cats don't anyway). It stresses them and many are prone to motion sickness.

Suggestions:
1.) Be current on immunizations AND carry the proof of the current status with paper documents.
2.) Use a carrier. Cats panic and when they panic and try to escape they use their claws.
3.) Get your pet chipped. This has saved the lives of many pets. Keep the chip documents with the immunization documents. Have the vet note the chip # on the immunization documents.
4.) Use a larger carrier to give them room to turn around stand up and get comfortable. Place a towel or a shirt in the carrier so they have a familiar smell.
5.) Cats can go without food for a few days, but need water regularly every day. Be sure they stay hydrated. I am not saying do not feed them but DO make sure they stay hydrated.
6.) Take a picture of your wife holding each cat as further proof that they belong to you.
7.) Get collars with ID tags and get them used to wearing them so that if you have to bug out with them there is proof of ownership and ID.
8.) Write your name, email address and cell phone on your cat carrier. They all look alike.
9.) Cats will overheat in a car in the summer or even if they are left out in the carrier in the sun. Keep an eye on them and when they start to pant you find a cooler place for them if possible. The carriers should have proper ventilation.

I use a large tub for my cat BOB. I keep cans of tuna, dry food, food and water dishes along with cat litter and some cat nip. The large tub is both storage and when emptied is the cat litter box.

Be prepared for messes and be understanding of the cats when they make a mess or panic and claw you trying to escape. It is nothing personal.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 pm 

You guys are amazing!!! Thank you so so much for the responses, I'll be sure to read the topics I was linked to, and yes I will post in the introductions subforum.

[quote="raptor"][/quote]

You could say a rubbermaid 14 gallon tub would suffice? I think that fits well into the trunk of a car, no?
I thought tuna wasn't good for kitties?
Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed list. I usually keep all their documents up to date and in a safe place, but I'll request copies of them to keep them in the car and my parents' house. :)
About the chip, I didn't know you could chip cats, too. I'll see if the option is available here in Mexico.

Really thank you everyone, I'll make sure to read everything and follow the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:50 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

fern_leaves87 wrote:
You guys are amazing!!! Thank you so so much for the responses, I'll be sure to read the topics I was linked to, and yes I will post in the introductions subforum.

raptor wrote:

You could say a rubbermaid 14 gallon tub would suffice? I think that fits well into the trunk of a car, no?
I thought tuna wasn't good for kitties?
Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed list. I usually keep all their documents up to date and in a safe place, but I'll request copies of them to keep them in the car and my parents' house. :)
About the chip, I didn't know you could chip cats, too. I'll see if the option is available here in Mexico.

Really thank you everyone, I'll make sure to read everything and follow the advice.

Size the container based upon what fits in your car. Get them a similar one to use every day so they are used to it.

I keep images of the vaccinations on a USB stick along with other documents just in case.

Tuna (in water not oil) is fine for cats although it should not be the sole diet and fed in moderate amounts since it lacks vitamin E. However when a good dry food (like Purina 1) has a proper nutritional balance and a can of tuna split 4 ways (2 meals for 2 cats) it is in effect a healthy treat while the dry food provides nutritional balance.

http://iheartcats.com/is-safe-to-feed-my-cat-tuna/

http://blog.petmeds.com/1800petmeds/is- ... -for-cats/

In the US premium cat food is $1.50 to $2.00 for a tuna can size portion. Generic tuna in the US runs $.78/can. The other plus is that since it meant for human consumption it has to meet some basic hygiene/food safety standards. Cat food on the other is much less regulated and does have the level of standards.

In Mexico the odd are good that you will be able to get only an ISO standard chip. Ask your vet.

http://www.microchipstrovan.com.mx/

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:52 pm 

Thank you, Raptor!
I'll check with my vet, see if there's a store in my city that will sell the chips, or if we will have to order it online.

And it' good to know about the tuna, our former vet had said we shouldn't feed them any type of tuna because of mercury poisoning, but it's good to know that's not correct. (One of the reasons I'm happy we decided to change vets.)

I'm gonna have to measure the trunk once my gf's back home. The kitties are used to rubbermaid tubs because we used those before we got regular litter boxes, yet the ones we got still look like rubbermaid tubs... so I guess we're good on that front, haha.

I need to retrain my baby girl on using her harness, she used to like it but now she's not so sure anymore... She favoure my puppy's harness now... She's such a princess sometimes...

Thank you for the info!!! ^_^