It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:30 pm 

Couldn't find any information recently so I thought I'd write this. A friend of my wife's called asking what could set off a carbon monoxide detector. I was given the phone and discussed it with her and she's getting all her appliances and wood burning fireplace looked at.

This is a good time to remind people to check your CO detectors. Check the batteries and date of manufactur of the detector itself. Also make sure your detector is at least 15 feet away from ignition source to prevent false positives. CO detectors are like smoke detectors. They have to be replaced about every 10 years. I'm on my phone so I can't easily provide links for carbon monoxide and CO detectors information but it's easy to find.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:27 pm 

The CO detectors, which are usually placed near the smoke detectors, get checked and changed at the same time as the smoke detectors (monthly check, semi-annual battery change). It also stands to keep a spare detector (or more) handy when the detector nears it's end of life. The one adjacent to the gas furnace (basic Kidde battery powered) decided that at 3:00 in the AM to trigger it's end of life alarm. It was guarenteed for 7 years and lasted a little over 8.

The detectors trigger with a combination of concentration and time. The current standard is UL 2034, which requires the following:
No alarm to levels of CO below 30 ppm
Alarm in 60-240 minutes at 70 ppm CO concentration
Alarm in 10-50 minutes at 150 ppm CO concentration
Alarm in 4-15 minutes at 400 ppm CO concentration

Long term exposure can be lethal at 100-150 ppm.