It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Child ID bracelets?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:25 pm 

I have two, unusually large (one is 97% height and weight), usually strong, and very willfull toddlers with absoloutly no fear of anything (including gravity). I'm giving some serious thought to ID bracelets w/names and cell #s for when we go out. There's a whole lot more styles out there then when i was a kid. Any thoughts on the current crop of ID bracelets? Pluses if it's got a buckle that's difficult to undo.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Child ID bracelets?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:48 pm 

How bad are we talking about here? They do make GPS trackers for children.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 pm 

Trackers are overkill. I'm just looking for a backup in case of "DOGGIE!!! Zoooooooooom!!!" situations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 pm 

Apparently things have changed from the days that my parents put an index card in my pocket with their number on it.

I have a Road ID ( http://www.roadid.com ) on my running shoe. They have several different types - wrist, ankle, dog tag, etc. I'm not sure if any of them would work on a little kid, but you can get just the metal engraved piece to attach in a different way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 pm 

When my kids were small, I remember there was a company that made temporary tattoo IDs for children.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:10 pm 

I second the Road ID option. I have one of their bracket id's that I slipped on my g-shock and I bought one of their dog tag models for my two oldest kids and several parents from my sons Cub Scout pack bought them for their kids. The option that goes on their shoes might not be a bad idea because my kids can't seem to find their dog tags, then again I need gps locators for their shoes sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:29 pm 

I tried temporary tatoos with "Frozen" charaters, and DD scrubs them off after only a few hours. I'm not confident that temporary tatoo IDs will last.

The Road ID selection looks very promising. They make a toddler size "slim" ID wristbands and (maybe) shoe IDs with enough space to get all the information on it. I'm not entirely confident that they won't take the bracelets off. But, I've been looking for an excuse to fit the kids with paracord bracelets, and I can use them to check if they will keep the bracelets on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm 

I think the Safey Tat is designed to be more durable than your standard temporary tattoo, but I have never tried them myself, so I couldn't say for certain.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 pm 

I like Road IDs too. I have the interactive version of the dog tag style one for my son who is diabetic & the regular one for myself for when I'm out & about without any other ID on me (running, hiking, etc.).

That said, my brother-in-law had a good solution with his young ones when they were out in busy areas ... he just wrote his cell number on their arm with a sharpie. Seemed to be a simple but effective solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:32 pm 

Denis J. wrote:
I like Road IDs too. I have the interactive version of the dog tag style one for my son who is diabetic & the regular one for myself for when I'm out & about without any other ID on me (running, hiking, etc.)..

I know I'm necroing the thread. But, during our last outing, I realized that while the kids know their names, they don't know how to spell them, or our phone numbers. I liked the idea of RoadID tags, but there's no way an engraved tag will survive for any length of time. I went with embossed dog tags with their name and our cell numbers. It's nearly impossible to scratch up a embossed tag to the point where it's illegible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 am 

Update on the dog tags. They got an IRL test when DD wandered off in the middle of a fire station open house. She found the check in desk and showed them her tag. One phone call later and all was well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am 

One fun tip that I have discovered: If you ever take your kids to public gatherings where there is a possibility of getting separated, write your cell phone number on their arm with a Sharpie.

I haven't needed it yet but I can confirm the number was still legible at the end of the day.