It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm 

So to start off I have a 12 week old Red Nose Pitbull named Thor, he's on the verge of being trained very well. When he is older and bigger (he should be around 100-110lbs) he will be carrying his own gear, and that's where my questions lye.

My plan is to buy him a Force K9 MOLLE vest, and a few Tactical Tailor MOLLE pouches. In those pouches would be food, water, a couple of toys, a leash and a muzzle of some sort.

Now here are my questions.

1. Like I said, my dog is going to be rather large, and I'm not exactly sure how much food and water to bring, I can always filter water for him, but what would be a good system for his water? I'm thinking a couple of Platypus bags, but I'm not sure.
2. As far as food is concerned, I don't know if he is starving, I'm not him. I do know that when he whines, he's usually hungry. I don't know how much food to bring him, I don't want to bring the bare amount for him to live on, but I also don't want to overload him. I'm thinking that 5-6lbs would suffice? I could be completely wrong here.
3. Besides what's listed what would you recommend? I need to find some good collapsible bowls I do know that.

"If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now"

- Epicurus

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

When I was a dog owner I had a commercial dog pack, something along these lines:

My pup was around 50 pounds (a Border Collie/Husky/Australian Shepherd mix), but I was always concerned about overloading him because no dog is really a pack animal. I actually ended up carrying his stuff (primarily dry dog food) and he carried light, bulky items for me (fleece jackets and such). He probably could have handled more than I gave him, but I never wanted to push it.

Not super familiar with your environment in OK, but on our trips in the mountains and forests of the northeast, my dog was having way too much fun to need any of his toys, and actually toting water and a collapsible bowl was never even considered; he'd be lapping out of streams, ponds and mud puddles way too frequently to bother with that.

I gather you're prepping for contaminated water, but if so, make sure he's on a tight leash on all times. Good luck getting any dog not to drink from the nearest standing water when they're running free.

RE: amount of food to bring; it all depends on how long you plan on bugging out/distance you and your canine plan to cover. If it's a three day BO, your starting point is 3 times his daily food allotment at home. He'll be a lot more active on a bug out so you might consider bringing more, but then just as with the water, my dog always found ways to "supplement" his diet while in the wild.

FWIW: My dog absolutely loved his puppy packs. Anytime those came out of the closet, he knew he was in for one hell of a walk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:47 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
When I was a dog owner I had a commercial dog pack, something along these lines:

My pup was around 50 pounds (a Border Collie/Husky/Australian Shepherd mix), but I was always concerned about overloading him because no dog is really a pack animal. I actually ended up carrying his stuff (primarily dry dog food) and he carried light, bulky items for me (fleece jackets and such). He probably could have handled more than I gave him, but I never wanted to push it.

Not super familiar with your environment in OK, but on our trips in the mountains and forests of the northeast, my dog was having way too much fun to need any of his toys, and actually toting water and a collapsible bowl was never even considered; he'd be lapping out of streams, ponds and mud puddles way too frequently to bother with that.

I gather you're prepping for contaminated water, but if so, make sure he's on a tight leash on all times. Good luck getting any dog not to drink from the nearest standing water when they're running free.

RE: amount of food to bring; it all depends on how long you plan on bugging out/distance you and your canine plan to cover. If it's a three day BO, your starting point is 3 times his daily food allotment at home. He'll be a lot more active on a bug out so you might consider bringing more, but then just as with the water, my dog always found ways to "supplement" his diet while in the wild.

FWIW: My dog absolutely loved his puppy packs. Anytime those came out of the closet, he knew he was in for one hell of a walk.

The environment here isn't too bad, I live in Northeast Oklahoma, and it's mostly woodlands and Prarie type. The toys are mostly for when it's bed time, or if it's cold and we're hanging out in the Sawtooth all day. He does love the outdoors though, and I don't see much need for more than a couple of toys.

There are quite a few fresh water sources in my AO, but I'd still like to prepare for there not being fresh water. Better safe than sorry.

As far as the food, my BOB is being setup around the standard 72-Hour affair, but that's definitely a good idea to bring more than needed. If it where an INCH situation, I would like to pack him with at least a weeks worth of food, if and when he needs more, like you said, he will be more than capable of "supplementing".

"If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now"

- Epicurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 am 

+1 for the commercial dog packs...it's much harder to overload a pup with one of those than it is with a system that you can just keep adding pouches to.

Dogs can (and will) drink water from pretty much any source, and short of serious contaminants (heavy metals like lead for example), they'll be just fine. If you're really concerned about it, a normal 1L bottle of water and a collapsible bowl will hold him over just fine.

Food-wise, just pack enough for the same number of days that you're packing food for yourself. 3 days, 4 days, however long. I'd also throw in a bag of treats for him, which can extend the food a bit.

Toys, I don't think I'd bother carrying...as already stated, there are far more interesting things for dogs in the great outdoors than a chew toy. At most, I'd bring along a bone or rawhide for him to chew on at night.

First aid. Get some basic first aid supplies for your dog (tick/flea treatment, gauze and pads for his paws, etc). Ask your vet for recommendations to deal with common issues dogs can have from hiking.

While talking with your vet, ask them about how to condition your dog to carry stuff on hikes as well. Generally it's starting gradually, like with just the empty pack to get him used to it at first, then maybe add a baggie of food to each side, and so on. Keep it evenly weighted to make it easier on the pooch. Same thing goes for distance: it's possible to walk a dog, especially a puppy, for too long a distance and cause issues for them (some breeds have fewer issues with this than others--Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Huskies both come to mind). Start with short hikes, maybe as long as a mile (confirm with the vet though), then gradually get longer from there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:53 am 

we have a dog ourselves(Terrier) and the main thing with bugging out with one is keeping it quiet until we get far enough away not to give away our location.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:39 pm 

Thank you for the recommendation on the pack. I'll definitely look into them, I like the MOLLE vest for versatility, so I'm still considering it. I definitely wouldn't be loading him down.

Good to know on the food and water. I will for sure bring him a raw hide bone as fell as a DFAK. Thanks for all the advice.

- Epicurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:35 pm 

First aid for a dog is similar to humans.
First; breathing and bleeding; clear the air passage and stop the bleeding
Second; heat and cold; keep an animal hydrated when hot,covered when cold Include booties for feet
third- health; a healthy animal stay healthy. Give him plenty of exercise and good diet
Side note; A dog need to be trained to be in the woods. A pit is by nature, a chase dog so the dog need to learn what he can or can not do. In Florida, a dog in a state park must be on a leash and on federal land, they can not molest game animals.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 pm 

Running a dog, especially a larger breed, has to wait until they are mature (more than just full grown). If you push them at all when they are still growing, pretty serious leg issues can develop. A coworker's dog ended up getting knee surgery for a dislocating knee because she was run too much as a puppy. I imagine similar problems can crop up if you hike them with a pack before maturity. Be careful training your pup. Dogs will do what you ask of them, regardless of whether or not it's good for them.

Second, dogs do get giardia, and it sucks. Keep an eye on what they drink.

I don't know what your experience with dogs is, but when I'm traveling, I scoop out food based on trip length: Sunday evening two scoops, Monday morning two scoops, Monday evening two scoops, Tuesday morning two scoops, plus a bit extra. If you're walking him a lot, he'll need a bit more, obviously. How much food to bring for a bug out works out similarly to how much you're planning on needing, ie are you bringing two days worth or two weeks worth?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 pm 

Remember to pack doggie vitamins, flea drops, heartworm medication along with his food. If in woods, you'd have to protect him from ticks (lyme disease)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:33 pm 

I could type up a long response but I will let you read this instead.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-dogs.html