It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 pm 

That YouTube channel I linked previously included Bree reviewing sea sponge tampons which are also a reusable option. There is a link below the video to a shop that sells these in the U.S.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 pm 

It is impossible to get all the grit and sand and stuff out of sea sponges. I would not suggest using them, but YMMV.

Sent via carrier wave

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:37 am 

My wife works with this group www.daysforgirls.org, washable kits for menstral cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:19 pm 

I am surprised nooone has mentioned sewing your own cloth pads, similar to disposable pads with benefits of being washable and reusable. There are tons of videos on the topic on youtube. Here are a couple examples.

You can also just buy cloth pads rather than sew your own.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:53 pm 

johnnyrover wrote:
My wife works with this group http://www.daysforgirls.org, washable kits for menstral cycle.

This never occurred to me. I guess I just assumed that everybody everywhere came up with something. Thank you for sharing the link.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:25 pm 

+1 for the silicon cups. There are a greater selection of them around now. I was discouraged at first by a not great result with a Diva Cup. My Gyno recommended the FemmyCycle and I haven't looked back since. I'd definitely suggest trying out what you can until you find what works best for you.

But also wanted to toss out a mention for the http://www.begirl.org/design/ organization:

"Lack of access to proper menstrual management products is preventing millions of girls from completing their education. Be Girl pads are the outcome of a collaborative design process that result in a basic yet extremely resourceful solution that features a reusable, washable and fast-drying waterproof pad-holder/pouch that can be attached to underwear like a traditional sanitary pad, and can be filled with any available safe disposable or reusable absorbent material – e.g. toilet paper or re-purposed cloth. This unique design gives women and girls the option to adapt it according to their access to water and available resources in their own environment, and the independence that effective products provide."

Their goal is the same as Days For Girls. But the product they've designed is something I've kept an eye on too.

They aren't available for individual purchase at the moment but I like the idea of it. The original prototype for example is something doable:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 pm 

I used a Diva cup for a few months a couple of years ago and I just couldn't get used to it. I might try one of the newer thinner ones that are out now. We were a cloth diaper family, which kind of naturally let to me using cloth pads. My favorite Etsy vendor doesn't sell anymore, but I haven't really needed any new ones. When my daughter gets a little older I'll start researching some new makers of them. As of now she's decided she wants to use cloth pads when that time comes, but of course that could change when she tries them. I do recommend getting pads that are lined with minky (or minkee) fabric because it pulls wetness away from the body, making everything a little more comfortable.

Not sure what would be the best way to keep them clean during a PAW situation though. Maybe using boiling water to wash them with? I'm not sure how the snaps would hold up with that. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 am 

Velcro may hold up better in boiling water.

The pads I have tried in the past tend to bunch or slide. What do you look for in a pad to make sure you get one you like? I'd like to get my daughter into cloth pads since she isn't interested in the cups yet.

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 am 

Anianna wrote:
Velcro may hold up better in boiling water.

The pads I have tried in the past tend to bunch or slide. What do you look for in a pad to make sure you get one you like? I'd like to get my daughter into cloth pads since she isn't interested in the cups yet.

The ones with fleece backing don't move around like the ones with PUL backing. I've never needed a PUL one, even with very heavy post-partum bleeding. I've found that fleece is more than adequate to protect against leaking. I like snaps personally because they don't get snagged on everything in the wash like velcro does. Minkee tops are the most comfortable of everything I've tried. There are a few different materials that people use for the insides. I think bamboo is probably the most absorbent. It's been quite a while since I bought any, but when I was trying to figure out what I liked and didn't I would just buy 1 of each type I was considering until I found "the one".

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 am 

Oh my gosh I found the shop I used to buy from!

http://pinklemonadeshop.3dcartstores.com/

She closed her Etsy store and I thought she had totally closed up shop but apparently she just opened a non-etsy shop. She's really great with customer service and she can help you figure out what might work for you if you send her a message. Looking at her stock, I think I might also have bought a couple of bamboo velour topped ones and they feel about the same as the minkee ones, which are my favorite. She has lots of different fabric options. Let me know if you have any questions!