It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm 

Panpiper wrote:

Alternatively, leave the tap open slightly, fill the bathtub with water, tear open a 'large' bag or two of catfood and leave the apartment door open. Let them do their business down the hall. They'll likely still be there and be fine a few weeks later if you are coming back.

If you are not coming back, taking your cats with you likely is not going to make much of a difference in their lives. If the situation is so dire that returning is impossible, your cats will just as likely wind up someone's dinner.

Leaving a large bag of food will make no difference. Cats eat from 15 to 25 times a day, and drink water in the same measure. A large bag of food won't last that long if you have more than one cat, and cat food goes bad quickly if the weather is not a good one. Once it gets humid it all goes downhill very very fast.

The tap running is a good idea, though, until the water supply is cut. The tub water is not a good idea, cats don't really like water that's standing still, and in the event they drink from it because there's no other option the water will only last what? A week? Maybe two if you're lucky. Water goes bad, too, and fairly quickly depending on the weather. It also evaporates and makes the temperature inside the house worse due to humidity levels rising. Also, they could fall into the tub and drown. (Same with the toilet bowl).

Yes, cats can hunt and are very very good at it declawed or not (btw, NEVER DECLAW A CAT, EVER. It's equated to animal maltreatment), that doesn't mean all cats are able to do so or even want to do so. Also, cats get attached to their humans, and they get attached fast. My baby girl will meow if I leave her alone for too long and she can't find her companion. Her companion will meow regardless if my baby girl is there or not because he loves to be around his human who is my gf. They are very attached to us because they are rescues, and bringing them with us WILL make a difference in their lives.

What you need to keep in mind that not two cats are the same, not even siblings that have grown up together their whole lives are the same. All cats have their personalities, likes, dislikes, health issues, and so forth. And they are just as valuable companions as are dogs. Cats get rid of vermin that can give you diseases or eat your stock of food, and they are also pretty territorial, so if an intruder comes in they WILL defend the place they live in.

We all have our reasons for not being able to bring our pets with us, I saw it during Juliette, people leaving their pets behind, and it wasn't even as horrible as Katrina. But I personally believe that we as humans are responsible for our pets' domestication, and thus we are responsible for their well being. My kitties and my dogs are family, and each member of a family has a function and a specific job, even if it doesn't seem productive at first sight. Pets not only protect you from intruders and vermin and disease, they also protect you from stress and depression and during a SHTF scenario those things are as much likely to kill you as anything else. Believe me, I know.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:36 pm 

How big are the cat's?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:54 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

fern_leaves87 wrote:
I personally believe that we as humans are responsible for our pets' domestication, and thus we are responsible for their well being. My kitties and my dogs are family, and each member of a family has a function and a specific job, even if it doesn't seem productive at first sight. Pets not only protect you from intruders and vermin and disease, they also protect you from stress and depression and during a SHTF scenario those things are as much likely to kill you as anything else.

^^^ This. There's about four distinct levels of truth in the above. I was going to say something like that in fern's other thread, but I couldn't have said it any better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:28 pm 

Take a backpack/chestpack style pet carrier and set it up as the cat's regular bed. There's less anxiety if it's in a familiar spot, even if that spot is moving. Include a escape proof pet vest and leash, and collapsible food/water pet bowls. Take it out on walks regularly to get it accustomed to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:48 am 

If you have room to store folding bikes, Dahon makes good ones for a lot less than Brompton. I had a 7-speed Dahon that was a wonderful bike. I only gave it up because my knees went bad.

http://usa.dahon.com/

If bikes aren't an option, I'd recommend a wagon with inflatable wheels or a jogging stroller. The best option would be to see if you can leash-train your cats, but bear in mind that they can't walk all day like people can.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:53 pm 

Why not just buy a cheap beater car that you only use on your days off, but can double as your get out of town transport, not just for SHTF, but for day trips, traveling, etc.?

I am unfamiliar with urban living, but I understand not having a car if everything you need is in walking distance/public transport range. Is there some other reason you couldn't have a cheap car that you only use occasionally? Check out craigslist and I am sure you will find something decent under $4,000. Ugly, but serviceable can be had for under $1,000 in most areas. It may need some fixing, but honestly with youtube tutorials and mechanical forums anyone can be their own shade tree mechanic.

Other then the jogging strollers and folding bikes seem like the best option for you.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:03 pm 

In some urban areas, secure parking is nearly as expensive as rent.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:43 am 

Towanda wrote:
In some urban areas, secure parking is nearly as expensive as rent.

Then park it outside those urban areas, within a day or so's walk?

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:50 pm 

You could use the U-Pet pet travel bag
and put the bag on a small trolley, or on a luggage with wheels for example.
The cats would probably feel better than being in a box or a cage :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm 

I came across the Cat-in-the-bag Cozy Comfort Carrier, which is essentially a bag designed for cats and it reminded me of this thread. It looks like you could carry several like grocery bags if the cats are amenable. It seems to be a love it or hate it sort of thing where a lot of cats are fine with it, but some just don't like it, so I think you would have to give this a try in advance to make sure your cat will tolerate it. It's comparable in price to more traditional carriers, too, and you can get them on Amazon if you don't want the risk of dealing directly with an online company.

They have three sizes for cats under 10lb, cats over 10lb, and an XL for large breed cats like Maine Coon and Ragdoll. The listing on Amazon with the most reviews has a customer picture of a cat in it being carried (as opposed to the myriad of images of cats laying in this) and there is a video on the company's site that shows the lady putting the cat in the thing. We have a cat that is usually very nice, but gets violent when we try to put her in a box. I'm getting one of these to try for her. I like that these are easier to store than the traditional box carriers that I have to find room for in the shed loft. These would fit several in a drawer, which means they are more readily available in an emergency situation.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:18 pm 

Aikibiker wrote:
Why not just buy a cheap beater car that you only use on your days off, but can double as your get out of town transport, not just for SHTF, but for day trips, traveling, etc.?

I am unfamiliar with urban living, but I understand not having a car if everything you need is in walking distance/public transport range. Is there some other reason you couldn't have a cheap car that you only use occasionally?

In a major urban area like NYC, a good percentage of the population may not have ever have gotten a driver's license. And, you will need private, off street parking. (~$200+/month). Otherwise, you're going to get towed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Barnabus wrote:
Be careful about making jokes guys, Big Brother doesn't have a sense of humor.

Ah yes... I got deleted from this thread many moons ago... you know what they say about cat owners...

...They have a lot of cat food. :awesome:

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 pm 

I don't have a cat. I once agreed to look after a friend's cat for a week but after he dropped it off at my apartment and explained the concept of kitty litter, I kept the cat in a closed cardboard box in the shed and forgot about it. If I wanted to feed something and clean feces, I wouldn't have put my mother in that home after her stroke. A week later, when my friend came to collect his cat, I pretended that I wasn't home and mailed the box to him. Apparently I failed to put enough stamps on the package and he had to collect it from the post office and pay eighteen dollars. He still goes on about that sometimes, people need to learn to let go.

But, I'm just a simple caveman lawyer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Twizzler wrote:
I don't have a cat. I once agreed to look after a friend's cat for a week but after he dropped it off at my apartment and explained the concept of kitty litter, I kept the cat in a closed cardboard box in the shed and forgot about it. If I wanted to feed something and clean feces, I wouldn't have put my mother in that home after her stroke. A week later, when my friend came to collect his cat, I pretended that I wasn't home and mailed the box to him. Apparently I failed to put enough stamps on the package and he had to collect it from the post office and pay eighteen dollars. He still goes on about that sometimes, people need to learn to let go.

Sick. Funny, but sick.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:24 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Folks this is a serious thread from someone asking for sincere assistance with a problem. It helps no one to post drivel to it. There are other sections of the board for that activity.

Please respect the helpful sections of the forum.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 pm 

In case anyone didn't catch the reference my suggestion was a Jack Handy quote from SNL :roll:
Just buy a carry box and hit the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I set my kitchen on fire once, and had to get my cat out in a hurry. I NEVER want to have to do that again! LOL! I'd recommend leaving the cage out regularly, maybe with one of your old socks or t-shirts in it, so they can get used to being in it instead of freaking out when they see it. Herding cats is not conducive to a smooth bug-out. Cat nip might help, and a flashlight will be helpful in getting them out from under the bed or from behind the fridge if your emergency happens at night.

I second the bike and trailer option. I hauled kids around in mine all summer and it worked very well. Probably easier with cats in a cage. Bathroom breaks promise to be worse with cats though. A halter and leash set-up maybe? Again, I'd practice, practice, practice. And get a good first aid kit. ;)

Good luck!

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:

Schrödinger's cat

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 pm 

grennels wrote:
Schrödinger's cat

You may consider your shins as having been kicked.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 pm 

Just in case anybody is interested in that Cat-In-A-Bag thing I mentioned, we gave it a try with our kitty who violently detests carriers. My daughter has put her in it briefly for two consecutive days. She doesn't fight it at all. She doesn't complain while in it. We can finally take this kitty to the vet without any more scars (I have several from her). This particular kitty only goes to the vet once every three years for her rabies shot for the sole reason that getting her into a carrier was so stressful for her and us. This thing might just save her life. It looks odd, but she acts comfortable. This is our feisty old kitty hanging from my daughter's shoulder:

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 pm 

Whenever we plan to travel with our cat we set up his cat carrier at least three days before we leave so he can get used to it on his own. We do have a car so I don't know how helpful that is. But whatever you decide to use leave it out so the cat can get inside of it and check it out and get used to it. That way if you do have leave it won't be a big deal to them. Or well hopefully not too much of a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:47 pm 

Anianna wrote:
Just in case anybody is interested in that Cat-In-A-Bag thing I mentioned, we gave it a try with our kitty who violently detests carriers. My daughter has put her in it briefly for two consecutive days. She doesn't fight it at all. She doesn't complain while in it. We can finally take this kitty to the vet without any more scars (I have several from her). This particular kitty only goes to the vet once every three years for her rabies shot for the sole reason that getting her into a carrier was so stressful for her and us. This thing might just save her life. It looks odd, but she acts comfortable. This is our feisty old kitty hanging from my daughter's shoulder:

We have three cats and that would be perfect for two of them. They would love to be carried around in blanket all day. But the third cat :shock: He's never been picked up. He's poison mean and crazy as the hell he sprang from. We literally have to drug him to get him to the vet. I had even decided not to take him anymore because of the trouble it causes til I realized if I didn't, I'd never know if he was rabid or just having a bad day ( week, month ,year ). He's just crazy mean all the time. Last year he got cornered in the barn by a bear. That's how we got our bearskin rug in the living room. (But don't worry he didn't kill it. It just lays there too scared to move.) I don't really worry about evacuating with him I figure if he decides to go with us he'll just ride that bear again. But more than likely he would just stay at our house by himself. And I pity whatever calamity that caused us to evacuate if it disturbed him :ohdear:

wait did he hear me ? whew that was close NICE KITTY, NICE KITTY ..._ _ _ ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Anianna wrote:

We have three cats and that would be perfect for two of them. They would love to be carried around in blanket all day. But the third cat :shock: He's never been picked up. He's poison mean and crazy as the hell he sprang from. We literally have to drug him to get him to the vet. I had even decided not to take him anymore because of the trouble it causes til I realized if I didn't, I'd never know if he was rabid or just having a bad day ( week, month ,year ). He's just crazy mean all the time. Last year he got cornered in the barn by a bear. That's how we got our bearskin rug in the living room. (But don't worry he didn't kill it. It just lays there too scared to move.) I don't really worry about evacuating with him I figure if he decides to go with us he'll just ride that bear again. But more than likely he would just stay at our house by himself. And I pity whatever calamity that caused us to evacuate if it disturbed him :ohdear:

Is your cat named Church?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 pm 

LyraJean wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Anianna wrote:

Is your cat named Church?
Rascal