It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:13 pm 

duodecima wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
#1 first place you should hit up is the LDS home storage center.
I'm actually going to disagree with this in the OP's case (even if the OP hadn't said they weren't an option. OP lives in what sounds like a rural area of Texas, they might be quite a drive away, just for starters...)

I say this as somebody who is a huge fan of the LDS centers, I have a whole bunch (not a literal ton, but a lot) of their stuff. But my goals and eating/cooking patterns are TOTALLY different than the OP's, I do a ton of cooking and baking from scratch, eat out maybe once a week, use my wheat grinder weekly, and I'm working up to a year for 3 times my usual household, and I have really good space to work with for that.

The OP and his wife have some serious space constraints, are looking for less than 2 weeks of food, sound like they eat a lot of perishable foods (?paleo/primal?) and eat out over half their meals. Mad props to the OP for seeing that, if they're cut off for very long, (or not cut off but there is some more general supply chain disruption) they're going to have to do something very different from what they usually do, and preparing for it.

What the LDS absolutely excel at is 20-30 year foods - but they are very basic. Other than the powdered milk, quick oats and macaroni/spaghetti, none of the 20 year food is prepared quickly. I like Honeyville but a lot of their stuff is the same - beautiful bulk long term storage but requires significant cooking.

While I literally have none of it myself, I think for the OP & his wife to try out various freeze dried just-add-water meals like Garand69 is suggesting makes a lot of sense - in a disaster the OP may be very busy on the job, and quickly prepared stuff will be the least disruption to their lives, and may be the easiest for them to rotate when it comes up on it's shelf life. Ditto maybe trying out some MRE samplers (which I need to do! It's not our regular food but in a disaster I might not have time or fuel to cook like normal either). A pack of Daytrex bars (which I agree would be horrible if that's all you had but make a fine meal-on-the-run when you're busy, imo, I have tried them), and maybe a box of pasta and some canned soup or no-bean chili to go over it would give some variety. You can find all sorts of foods that are canned or retort packed that might match what you usually eat (I have a crate of microwavable rice packs and indian food pouches since that fits our current eating patterns).

If you don't usually eat things like spaghetti or canned no-bean chili, but would in an emergency they could be donated annually to your food shelf.

We have a LDS facility in my burg. However they do not, for a variety of reasons, care for my agency.

I'm blushing a little at serious space constraints; actually it has more to do with priorities, but its serious to us.

Microwavable? Now you're talking. :clap:

I like the idea of donating the stuff to the food bank-we are enthusiastic supporters of the same, and that really eases my mind. I can just hear my wife's comments about having to eat stuff just because the shelf life is expiring. :shock:

Some really great information here, guys. Thanks a million.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:15 pm 

I have a two month supply of food. I own no ration bars or freeze dried food, no giant cans that last 5 to 15 years, nothing that would be considered the standard 'survival' fare. What I do is simply to have whatever normal food I do eat around in sufficient abundance, that if I was ever cut off from being able to resupply, I would have enough for two months.

Now obviously I don't have a two month supply of carrots, and such, but I eat enough things like canned foods, pasta and the like that before it expires, I get around to eating it. Of course I am careful about how I rotate my supplies, I eat the oldest stuff first.

If I were to go 'beyond' my two month supply, say wanting to stretch it to three months or more, at that point I would probably consider freeze dried.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:31 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

TheZone wrote:
I'm blushing a little at serious space constraints; actually it has more to do with priorities, but its serious to us.

Microwavable? Now you're talking. :clap:

I like the idea of donating the stuff to the food bank-we are enthusiastic supporters of the same, and that really eases my mind. I can just hear my wife's comments about having to eat stuff just because the shelf life is expiring. :shock:

There's nothing wrong with having different priorities. The most food I've ever needed to use has been for a period of about 2 weeks, choosing to devote your space to things you do more or enjoy more is pretty logical. (I happen to enjoy food storage, some of us have strange hobbies. :lol:) The whole point is that we are all better off the more people are prepared to any degree - having more people in critical fields (whether it's law enforcement or health care) be able to show up for their jobs in a disaster because they've already prepared for themselves and their families makes keeps that disaster from being even worse.

And like Panpiper, I'm a fan of having food around that you actually do eat sometimes. With working parents and 2 kids in school and activities, having microwavable dinners that I can put on the table in under 5 minutes is what makes family dinner possible a couple nights a week. I have also field tested the fact that I can drop the pouches (corner torn and upright) in a pot of boiling water and heat them and then eat them out of the pouches. A lot of my "bug out" food is microwavable (easy mac, chef boyardee, el paso tortilla stuffers, etc). (Also, my most likely bug out is vehicular, and to somebody else's house or a hotel, so microwavable is a definite plus)

I also rotate stuff I don't eat (but want around for emergencies) to the food shelf - but I am TERRIBLE at tracking my dates, and since food shelves can't take food past its dates even if the food is still good, I end up with some very old food occasionally. :oops: But if you're donating whatever's left in the box, and replacing the box, all you have to do is make sure the food you put in has dates that are beyond your annual rotation.

You say power is not an issue - if what you mean by that is you've got a generator and fuel for it for at least a few days, part of your 10 days of food could be in your freezer, so it's even closer to the kind of food you usually eat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ineffableone wrote:
... #1 first place you should hit up is the LDS home storage centers.

Ditto... We were pretty well on our way anyway but then we became friends w/the Morman family across the street from us; so happy we visited the cannery in San Antonio! Cheap and exceptional quality.

We also have a bunch of freeze dried stuff from Mountain House, Thrive, etc. in a couple "hidden in plain sight" locations. We have an antique wooden wine shipping box in our entry hall, kinda looks like a chest but with iron straps. Nice feature with a plant and a painted Italian roof tile sitting on it... Guess what it's filled with? :wink:

Ditto with an old steamer trunk we use as a night stand (complete with lamp and alarm clock on top) up in our guest room.

Of course this is only the backups to the backups but it keeps my wife happy as well to not have stuff spilling out from the pantry or other dedicated storage areas.

I'm more concerned about water storage, though we're finally in the process of doing the backyard complete w/a hot tub. Have water bobs for the tubs if needed, a few 55 gallon water barrels hidden on one side of the house, as well as a couple hundred gallons in 7-gallon stackable containers in the garage (plus two water heaters) but long term plans would require heading to my buddy's ranch with generator and solar-powered well pumps.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:02 am 

Rugger wrote:
Since you seem to have your answer, all I have to add is....

So it begins.

:crazy: :rofl: :crazy: :ooh: :crazy: "One of us...one of us... one of us...."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 am 

I usually get my long term storage from these guys

http://www.campingsurvival.com/water-and-food.html

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage

http://beprepared.com/food-storage.html

http://www.foodinsurance.com/

I've just learned of this site

https://www.survivalcavefood.com/

but have not ordered from them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:29 am 

Nice list Barnabus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 am 

Lots of excellent advice in this thread so far. It sounds like the OP is leaning more towards freeze-dried options...in that case, might I suggest taking a look at PackIt Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/)? They do the quick freeze-dried meals for camping/backpacking, but they also offer a pretty wide variety of standard groceries as freeze-dried options so that you can essentially cook like you normally would (just have to add in the rehydrating step).

Another option is Hawk Vittles (http://hawkvittles.com/), though they only offer the meals, not standard groceries. Both of these companies taste better than Mountain House (IMO at least), and far far better than Wise Foods (no competition, seriously).

The lifeboat ration bars (Mayday, Mainstay, ER, SOS, etc) are edible and will keep you alive...but there's a world of difference between "edible" and "tasty." You (probably) won't be considering starvation as a viable option after eating a couple of these bars, but you definitely won't be happy at the thought of eating nothing else for several days at a time -- especially if you run into one where they didn't do a good job of mixing the ingredients, so you run into pockets of just straight powder---blegh!! If you want to try them, I'd suggest tracking down the 1200 calorie versions, they're usually cheaper and designed for just one day.

You can also check into Bridgford sandwiches ready-to-eat (http://www.amazon.com/Bridgfords-Grab-N-Go-Ready-Eat-Sandwiches/dp/B003FKBDF8), essentially a shelf-stable Hot Pocket that doesn't require cooking. They're not bad, but they can be very dry, so I'd suggest having a good supply of water handy if you decide to stock deeply in these.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:24 am 

Barnabus wrote:

The Survialcave office building on their website is a "Rent-an'office" outfit - much of what is seen from these Utah bsed outfits is what it seems to be.

Also about bucket food in general
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... 928&page=3
here's a thread about a fellow who tried to live on his bucket food, before he had to go to the doctor....

Better to pack your own and know what it is that you are eating....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:41 am 

TheZone wrote:
Just to be up-front I'm not really a prepper, although I enjoy this site a great deal. I came here to get input on a specific question for a novel and hung around because it is one of the nicest and informative forums I have found in the last decade.

However, I live in the country in a very lovely spot which has the advantage/ disadvantage of having literally only one way in and out (by road). bad weather, particularly ice, can cut us off. Being Texas, said cut-off is usually 24 hours at most, so its not been a big issue.

However a HAZMAT class has gotten me thinking about getting cut off for a longer period, and I am looking at laying in a ten-day supply of food for long storage. The rest of the stuff I should stock I either already have or gotten good advice from existing threads.

My question is this: what is a good, affordable long-shelf-life food brand? No dietary restrictions involved.

I've looked around on the Net, but there's hundred of brands and types, from emergency bars to stuff that sounds like five star dining to MREs.

Self-canning is a great way to build sustainability. Make a small garden with beans, tomatoes, corn, and other easy produce. Can them yourself. It's the harder option, but you always know where the food is coming from and can learn the methods for canning that will maximize shelf life. (just an alternative).