It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Specific Baby Prep Items
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:33 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

So I know there are a couple of threads about prepping with babies, but I'm not looking for what to throw in a diaper bag...

Help me out here so I can make sure I haven't forgotten anything on my list...what items are specific ONLY to infants/toddlers that would be/could be needed for a PAW situation?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm 

My guys are significantly out of the baby/toddler stage, but I think it'd still be iterations of food/water/shelter. Maybe something for Teething if the baby hasn't yet as well as any meds/vitamins etc. An instruction paper on cloth diapers?

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm 

Keep in your bag of tricks

1 drop fresh garlic juice
1 drop onion
1 drop light cooking oil (like olive oil)
Warm to body temp drip in ear sleep ear side up so fluid stays inplace covering eardrum.

Small kids spending lots of time in the outdoors in less than ideal conditions WILL get ear infections trust me on this. The recipe above saved my daughter from getting mechanical draining and tubes installed it was a last ditch effort after all the buck rogers steroid shit and expensive exotic crap from big pharma did nothing... this cleared it up overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm 

PAW?

Mommy. Keep her fed, have cloth diapers and shells around, and you'll be okay until they start eating bread and whatnot.

Also, if you're going cloth, be ready to do a LOT more laundry.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:50 pm 

Sling train so your kid is comfortable riding that way so an adult can carry the kid and a backpack.

When my daughter was a toddler I also had a rig that could clip to some d rings on my back pack so She could sit in it like a bosun chair for when she could not walk.

My "Ghetto bosun chair" was made out of a nice well padded adjustable shoulder strap so it could hang at waist level and she could sit on it.

Those two let you haul serious gear and make some miles. Now obviously this depends on physical conditioning (I am used to heavy rucks and the shoe leather express.)

I found the baby backpacks do not allow you to carry any real amount of gear.

I also trained her to turn her head open her mouth and cover her ears on command or at the first sign of loud noise for those that have played the game yes my kid knew "whistle drills" from a early age.

Glass baby bottles with a foil reflector near a fire (I emphasize near you just want passive heat not direct heat) heat milk formula etc as well carry rice cereal and powdered milk to stretch the formula out. The retort packs of squeeze fruits and veggies are a MRE for youngsters as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm 

Just remember one thing, it was only in the last century ... maybe less than that ... that to leave the house with your child was like going on safari with all of your "must have" accoutrements. :rofl:

Seriously, if you breastfeed and cloth diaper there's not too much more you would need than an infant specific first aid kit/medications, a couple of changes of clothes, diaper covers, wipes (which can be homemade or a soft cloth can do double duty), butt balm, and some extra water (because extra water is always good in a BOB regardless of age).

Now if we are talking an older infant, like closer to 12 months than one then the food issue will be different but is nothing to get hysterical about.

I've had five kids, now between the ages of 24 and 10 years. First kid it really was like going on safari just getting out the front door. When we went hiking I had a whole backpack of junk for her alone. But by the time number five rolled into town I knew that I was creating more real and potential problems by over accessorizing and I had become a minimalist and the kid really is much more adventurous and easy going in that respect than the first one is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 pm 

Garlic press - one with a removable plate, if possible. All metal for ease of cleaning.

Makes big people rations into baby rations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:35 pm 

Lots of good stuff here. I'll stress practice/training.

Every time you walk out the door, assume you won't be able to come back.

The more you realistically practice that, the better set you'll be when you really can't.

The baby will be more comfortable, too.

Mama does the same things each time, Mama moves surely and confidently.

Mama is calm, Baby is calm. All is well.

Mama is terrified, Baby is terrified. Screaming Baby stresses Mama out even more.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Crawl, walk, run.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm 

A can of decent formula in case mama gets sick. Happened to us, mama's got sick, milk dried up and never came back. The fancy brand names like similac are terrible, they will spit up 50% or more. The best we found was Kroger Organic.
We did a bug out test later and left our only can at home so we had to stop in a small town where the only store was a Walmart. I don't know how they can get away with falsely advertising low prices when they sell the same brand names of formula as a decent store but for nearly twice the price. The Kroger brand was something like $12-13 and the brand name similac was $20 at Kroger. Walmart had the same size can of similac for $36.
I kept one of the cans of Kroger brand in the truck after that.
Keep decent sized jugs of water to mix in it as well. We got quarterly water bill when my son was about 1.5 and it had a warning that some level of chemical in the city water tested higher than allowable so the water should not be given to nursing mothers, infants and toddlers. Of course we had been feeding him the starter cereal for the last few months using the city water which we found out was not safe for him to drink.
Its also a bit costly and a pain to keep meds rotated but I tried to keep stuff stocked as best as I could. You want pain relief/fever reducer (tylnol/motrin), teething tablets, etc. Pedialyte makes a powder you just mix with water to help in cases of diarrhea, even older kids and adults can take those.
As they get older children's pepto, benadryl, dramamine.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

SCBrian wrote:
My guys are significantly out of the baby/toddler stage, but I think it'd still be iterations of food/water/shelter. Maybe something for Teething if the baby hasn't yet as well as any meds/vitamins etc. An instruction paper on cloth diapers?

We plan to use cloth period so hopefully by then we'll all be proficient but I had forgotten about teething being in the baby's B.O.B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

nolongpork wrote:
Keep in your bag of tricks

1 drop fresh garlic juice
1 drop onion
1 drop light cooking oil (like olive oil)
Warm to body temp drip in ear sleep ear side up so fluid stays inplace covering eardrum.

Small kids spending lots of time in the outdoors in less than ideal conditions WILL get ear infections trust me on this. The recipe above saved my daughter from getting mechanical draining and tubes installed it was a last ditch effort after all the buck rogers steroid shit and expensive exotic crap from big pharma did nothing... this cleared it up overnight.

Ty...wish I would have known something like that when my oldest was an infant...we're banking 10 years apart between kiddos so a lot of what I knew, I've forgotten...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

nolongpork wrote:
Sling train so your kid is comfortable riding that way so an adult can carry the kid and a backpack.

When my daughter was a toddler I also had a rig that could clip to some d rings on my back pack so She could sit in it like a bosun chair for when she could not walk.

My "Ghetto bosun chair" was made out of a nice well padded adjustable shoulder strap so it could hang at waist level and she could sit on it.

Those two let you haul serious gear and make some miles. Now obviously this depends on physical conditioning (I am used to heavy rucks and the shoe leather express.)

I found the baby backpacks do not allow you to carry any real amount of gear.

I also trained her to turn her head open her mouth and cover her ears on command or at the first sign of loud noise for those that have played the game yes my kid knew "whistle drills" from a early age.

Glass baby bottles with a foil reflector near a fire (I emphasize near you just want passive heat not direct heat) heat milk formula etc as well carry rice cereal and powdered milk to stretch the formula out. The retort packs of squeeze fruits and veggies are a MRE for youngsters as well.

Any chance you still have pics of that rig up? Barr (my hubby and his username here) was just talking about something like that the other day...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:12 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Thanks all and TacAir? That's genius...I wouldn't have thought about using a garlic press for that...

I have a daughter from a previous marriage, but like I said above, they're going to be 10 years apart. We have preps set aside for us but I just wanted to be 100% certain that I had accounted for the upcoming tiny one in every way w/out missing something important. Breast feeding and cloth diapering are on the list and I make a lot of the balms and stuff we use already so that will just be added into the mix as well. As for gear, a sling was already planned b/c since I work from home, I can wear baby and still type...

but knowing my brain? I knew I'd forget or overlook something crazy important so I figured I'd ask. Better to ask and know then not ask and miss it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:27 pm 

X2 on carrying formula even if you breast feed because high stress will cause milk to dry up.

Hell... My kid is 7 and I carry formula in single serve pouches in my BOB because I have had to walk past starving children and babies before and don't need anymore "I could not do shit" nightmares. (I control my OPORD now.)

Sorry I did not take pics I will try and paint a visual picture and perhaps use a internet photo or two.

Picture a military hunting style backpack... the shoulder straps almost always have D rings installed. I used a nicly padded shoulder strap from a gym bag I took one end of the gym bag strap used its clip to hook in to one shoulder of my back pack d ring... then the other end of the gym bag strap went to my opposite shoulder back pack straps d ring.

So the gym bag strap now forms a Big "U" bend from my back pact straps down to my waist. The bottom of the "U" is where the gym bag strap has its padding. Kiddo sat in it like a "bosun" boatswain chair.

In this picture above imagine taking the carabiners at the top and hooking each one to your left and right backpack shoulder straps.

If you can picture that now picture using a padded gym bag strap with good padding and clips for the same thing.

I had kiddo when awake and just can't walk face out riding at waist belt height legs near my knees so she could see. and it reminded her of when I lace my fingers together and give her "elephant rides"

When she was asleep I had her higher facing me head just below my chin and her legs around my belly.

I hope that helped.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

nolongpork wrote:
X2 on carrying formula even if you breast feed because high stress will cause milk to dry up.

Hell... My kid is 7 and I carry formula in single serve pouches in my BOB because I have had to walk past starving children and babies before and don't need anymore "I could not do shit" nightmares. (I control my OPORD now.)

Sorry I did not take pics I will try and paint a visual picture and perhaps use a internet photo or two.

Picture a military hunting style backpack... the shoulder straps almost always have D rings installed. I used a nicly padded shoulder strap from a gym bag I took one end of the gym bag strap used its clip to hook in to one shoulder of my back pack d ring... then the other end of the gym bag strap went to my opposite shoulder back pack straps d ring.

So the gym bag strap now forms a Big "U" bend from my back pact straps down to my waist. The bottom of the "U" is where the gym bag strap has its padding. Kiddo sat in it like a "bosun" boatswain chair.

In this picture above imagine taking the carabiners at the top and hooking each one to your left and right backpack shoulder straps.

If you can picture that now picture using a padded gym bag strap with good padding and clips for the same thing.

I had kiddo when awake and just can't walk face out riding at waist belt height legs near my knees so she could see. and it reminded her of when I lace my fingers together and give her "elephant rides"

When she was asleep I had her higher facing me head just below my chin and her legs around my belly.

I hope that helped.

Ty. I'm sure he will figure it out...lol. As for formula, yup. Already planned. I just don't buy it...I grab free samples when I can b/c they're usually in single serve pouches.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 pm 

Hate to say it, but if you've got feed issues in a PAW .. well, hope you have formula stockpiled. 'Cos it'll take a LOT. Don't get me wrong. Formula is a pretty good expendable and if you get enough to last until your kiddo is a year+, it's not a bad item to buy in bulk.

Thankfully, our kiddo started solids at 6 months and loves bread.

But if the power went out tomorrow and never came back, that's all he's having, along with (filtered) water and whatever stuff mom and dad are going to be eating.

Baaby carry is an interesting item. If we're bugging out, we're pretty hosed. Maybe a week tops on what we have. Bugging in, well, we can last indefinitely.

My hiking pack is a Deuter Kid Comfort 3, I'm comfortable with the load to the tune of a dozen mile+ a day, and it can carry enough disposables for a week, basic filter, baby food, stove, and water, but not a lot left for me. Mom will have to carry my (Gregory) large pack instead with our supplies. If I'm forced to front carry, then it'll be the ergobaby underneath my gregory while she carries her pack, but it'll be sub-optimal for the kiddo. Front carry puts different strain on your back than rear carry, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 pm 

Formula can be stretched very far by using less and adding with Rice cereal and or powdered milk. Is it optimal nope but it will help greatly adding a bit of natural local honey can also help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:37 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

NEVER give honey to a baby under a year. It is a crazy high risk for botulism.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 am 

goofygurl wrote:

Oops after a Google it would appear you are correct we did raw honey water and kiddo was just fine and it helped her epic coloc but best be safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

goofygurl wrote:

Well. It's still rare, but infantile botulism sucks dead babies so it's not worth even a small risk.

I have seen, somewhere, an old recipe for mixing "formula" out of evaporated milk (can use powdered) corn syrup and oil. Cow's milk, even whole, has less calories than human milk. (There's a reason cows make so much of it...). I would never recommend using it outside of a paw or no-formula-no-mama-can't-get-out situation, but it's better than plain milk if it comes to it.

Barr's pack should have formula in any case, in case you get separated.

Babies get cold easily - but baby carriers often fit under big coats well - I've used both a sling and a baby bjorn under my wool duffel coat, once while we actually did a tiny bug out in a state park in Wyoming. (We woke up and realized it was snowing, the last time that'd happened while we were living in that cabin we'd been stuck for a week. So I ended up speeding down a pretty decent slope thru the woods to get to the car with the baby under the coat. Husband carried the backpacks and made 2 trips but I could have taken a small pack). Just keep that in mind for buyouts. HYGIENE STUFF - they are more susceptible to food/waterborne disease than we are, be super careful and have stuff to sanitize hands after every single diaper.

Recipe for the WHO rehydration formula, they dehydrate easier if they do get the tummy bugs.

Little bit of baby tylenol for hi fevers.

But I fully agree with what Kathy in FL said about the whole diaper bag thing. I could walk out of the house with a change of clothes, a couple diapers and a slim pack of wipes, and the baby if it was a short trip. Longer trip was mostly more of the same. I felt so bad for people who tied themselves down with all that stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:14 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

duodecima wrote:
goofygurl wrote:

Well. It's still rare, but infantile botulism sucks dead babies so it's not worth even a small risk.

I have seen, somewhere, an old recipe for mixing "formula" out of evaporated milk (can use powdered) corn syrup and oil. Cow's milk, even whole, has less calories than human milk. (There's a reason cows make so much of it...). I would never recommend using it outside of a paw or no-formula-no-mama-can't-get-out situation, but it's better than plain milk if it comes to it.

Barr's pack should have formula in any case, in case you get separated.

Babies get cold easily - but baby carriers often fit under big coats well - I've used both a sling and a baby bjorn under my wool duffel coat, once while we actually did a tiny bug out in a state park in Wyoming. (We woke up and realized it was snowing, the last time that'd happened while we were living in that cabin we'd been stuck for a week. So I ended up speeding down a pretty decent slope thru the woods to get to the car with the baby under the coat. Husband carried the backpacks and made 2 trips but I could have taken a small pack). Just keep that in mind for buyouts. HYGIENE STUFF - they are more susceptible to food/waterborne disease than we are, be super careful and have stuff to sanitize hands after every single diaper.

Recipe for the WHO rehydration formula, they dehydrate easier if they do get the tummy bugs.

Little bit of baby tylenol for hi fevers.

But I fully agree with what Kathy in FL said about the whole diaper bag thing. I could walk out of the house with a change of clothes, a couple diapers and a slim pack of wipes, and the baby if it was a short trip. Longer trip was mostly more of the same. I felt so bad for people who tied themselves down with all that stuff.

Crazy high is a relative term for me...lol. If there's a risk, its "crazy high" when I'm tired...lol. We both will carry formula, disposable diapers and wipes, etc in our packs as well as a bit of infant OTC meds just in case. We do that now with the Monkey Child. Plus there will be the baby's "bob" (which I actually plan to do a full 3 day supply for in addition to the regular diaper bag.) And then there's the car kit...

I'd rather be redundant that have and not need on this.

I'm not too concerned with cold weather as our current BOL is somewhere south of where we are now but (with that being said), it is something that I want to keep prepped for b/c winter down that way does get into the high 20's if you're in the "dead" of it. Blankets here at home, etc shouldn't be an issue for that since we should end up with plenty by the time I'm done deal hunting.

Having extra slings like mentioned above (actually it was the pack idea that triggered it but hey! At least it triggered it) isn't something I would have considered. I would have went with the main sling and that would have been that so I'm glad I posted this thread. Looking up the WHO Rehydration formula now and I'll see if I can find the mock formula recipe too.

I plan to bump up the oats and things that we're storing too to use for infant cereals and things. That has more to do with the fact that we currently eat our stores on a regular basis and the fact that the Monkey Child had GERD so bad she was on cereal at 6 weeks old. If it happens again, I won't be stressing buying the commercial stuff. I'm adding a few jars (few being relative) of commercial food in all 3 stages to the preps too because even though I plan to make my own, it's portable and quick so in a bug out or in situation with no power, etc, baby would still be able to eat if he was too young for straight table food (and really how good can freeze dried foods be for an infant?)

The extra sanitizer isn't something I would have factored in either...I would have just forgotten about the extra use and likely have run out...lol. So thanks for that one too.

As far as gear, I'm not one to go overboard on it. I like my money so I tend not to waste it on silly things except once in a great while. We're going with a crib (yes, I'm spending a bit more for a 7 in 1 that will last the kid through college hopefully), a 4 in 1 high chair (grows up to a regular kitchen chair), a Britax car seat (yes, more money, but safer, etc), a bassinet (b/c I'm a crazy helicopter mom when they're a newborn and that kid MUST sleep beside me for the first few weeks...lol.) and a bouncy seat or swing (not sure which). That's about that...lol. It kills me that ppl go and blow money on things like wipe warmers and bottle sanitizers when your hands work just as well for the wipes and the dishwasher will sanitize the bottles the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:58 am 

Another reason for lots of hand sanitizer is the ones with alcohol make outstanding firestarter gel as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 pm 

Industrial size of baby bottle of fever/ pain reducer. Very bad to run out and not be able to get more.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:15 am 

hello
We should always carry an extra storage bags for baby clothes.