It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family Vacation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:08 am 

The family and I will be spending the next week in Oregon at Wallowa Lake State Park. Been going since I was a wee lad and It's the place that cemented my love for the outdoors. You would be surprised at the amount of mischief a young man could get up to in those mountains, considering it's city folk camping.

I'm taking a full week off from work and getting ready for the ARMY to go read, drink, fish, hike and relax. My family is dead-set against real camping; but my nieces are coming for part of the time and I'm hoping to inspire a love for the outdoors in them as well. I'm going to sign them up for the youth parks program "Junior Rangers"; It's a watered down version of the scouts. I was curious if anyone else had put their efforts towards getting their young ones more interested/involved in the outdoors, and how you duped them into liking it if need be. My hope is to progress them up to learning some real skills. I have an old Webelos hand book that I can use as a starting roadmap, with a little bit of tweaking for the girls and some adding of my own instruction.

-Ran

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Family Vacation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55 pm 

Junior Ranger programs are a really good place to start. My oldest is 24 and she still has her "badges" from all of the state and national parks that she earned them at. In fact all of our kids have enjoyed those programs immensely. Our youngest is 10 and will shortly be aging out of many of the kids' programs but he will start Boy Scouts next year so we hope that the outdoor badges, etc. will take the place of that.

Even if your kids aren't in scouts those manuals - the new and old versions - are great learning opportunities. You'll have to go for the really old girl scout manuals to get anything of value. In case you can't tell I'm not high or today's GSUSA.

Another good way is to teach them through foraging, leaf collecting, identifying different kinds of rocks ... if you follow the "take only pictures, leave only footprints" you might also inspire a love of photography, sketching, etc.

All of my kids enjoyed learning about history as it pertained to the various parks and enjoyed going to re-enactments, trying cooking methods from those eras with both modern and historically correct recipes, etc

There are a ton of ways to "trick" a kid into learning to enjoy the outdoors but I also found that I didn't need to trick them, just introduce them to it and their natural curiosity eventually took over. Sometimes you'll have to debug them if they are couch potatoes or divas (both male and female can be this) but by and large, the younger they are when you start the easier it is to win them over.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:17 am 

That was a while ago.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:13 pm 

Step 1: Show daughter the Hunger Games movies.
Step 2: Buy a beginner bow.

Also, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get the right gear for kids. Whether it is a bow or firearm or camping equipment, their enjoyment and comfort is magnitudes better when it is fit for them. I just recently got my daughter her first shotgun, and went with a Remington 1100 20 ga. youth gun. It barely kicks, and is light enough that she can comfortably control it. She loves it!

Rooster Cogburn: His upper lip.