Best deal on water containers?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zero11010
* * *
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by zero11010 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm

eugene wrote:Where did you get the prices, the 7 gallon aquatainers are a lot less that $18.

That was covered in the first paragraph of my post. $18 with free shipping isn't exactly a rip off, though I appreciate your excitement.

I see similar pricing on the following websites today (within a dollar or two and it may or may not have free shipping).
relianceproducts.com
target.com
amazon.com
rei.com

I'm not going to spend 10 minutes researching prices to find the lowest one with the cheapest shipping on all of "teh internets", then repeat that process for a dozen things. Because all of the prices were found at the same website, that's likely to provide a basic idea of how expensive each item is compared to each other item.

You're very welcome to scour the deepest and darkest places on this here world wide web for the cheapest price (including shipping to the continental US) for each of the items I provided basic info on.

User avatar
eugene
* * * * *
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by eugene » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 pm

I paid $7.99 for mine at Gander Mountain.

The important point I wanted to make though was about logging the date you fill them. The required annual water report that came to us said something to the effect of between the dates of x and y any infants, toddlers, pregnant or nursing mothers should not have drank the water as the level of z chemical was found to be unsafe. It would have been nice of them to tell us not to drink it when it wasn't safe especially since we were giving my 1 year old the mix with water starter cereal and my wife was pregnant. So any water containers I had filled between those date ranges I dumped and refilled.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

yetijoe
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by yetijoe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Here:
http://www.buylci.com/CatalogProductDis ... &ps=0&av=0

These are the 5 gallon containers I have. I have bought 6 of these so far, and they have held up well. At $24.99 each, I believe if you purchase two or more they are shipped for free (and you usually get them quick). They have held up well for me when I take two of them camping, or when I am storing water down in the basement. They don't have any O rings that go with them. I believe if you tighten the spouts/lids tight enough, there isn't any use for them as I haven't experienced any leaks to date. Really sturdy, and $13 - $14 cheaper than Amazon's pricing. Anyway, I have lurked on this site for some time, and you guys have been great. So I thought I would return the favor.

yetijoe

nolongpork
* *
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by nolongpork » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 pm

For water containers, buckets, o2 absorbers and the like, I personally use Baytec containers.

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/#gsc.tab=0

And BTW I like the 15 or 30 gallon drums vice 55 you can move a 15/30 with a hand truck and put into a truck with some help.

3cyl
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:22 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by 3cyl » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:51 am

foxmileroba wrote:don't use water from this container many times .
Thank You for your well thought out and informative post

User avatar
Black November
* * * * *
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Bonney Lake, WA

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by Black November » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:04 pm

Scepter 2.5 gallon MWC in Blue. Expensive but worth it. (They have a temporary new plastic smell until you rinse them out a few times and let them air dry)

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.co ... -Cans.html
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
Image
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

User avatar
SteelWolf
* * *
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by SteelWolf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm pretty partial to both Scepter MFC water cans and to the Reliance Aqua-Paks. I like the Aqua-Paks because they are:
1. Square shaped.
2. Stack very neatly.
3. Have a spigot is built into the lid.

I prefer the 5 gallon model as they are easily transported. https://relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/10.html



55 Gallon (or even the 30 Gallon) drums are not a bad option, but I would't put all of my eggs in one basket. The one downside to these larger containers is that they are extremely difficult to move if you had to. I ahem a mix. We have 6 of the 55 gallon jugs in my work shop tucked along the walls, and we have 20 5 gallon Reliance water containers, and 6 of the Scepter MFCs (One two for each vehicle, and two remain in our Food Storage / Preps room.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

voyaginator
*
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by voyaginator » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:21 am

moab wrote:I'm looking for water containers or a container to set up in my garage.
I have several Reliance 7-gallon containers https://goo.gl/5NYWSS Design based on the old Jerry Can, strong easy to carry :roll:

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm

voyaginator wrote:
moab wrote:I'm looking for water containers or a container to set up in my garage.
I have several Reliance 7-gallon containers https://goo.gl/5NYWSS Design based on the old Jerry Can, strong easy to carry :roll:
I am curious about the short links that you post. How are they generated? If I go to Amazon and copy their link for the product I get this long string


https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... +Container
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

For a long time I have used Scepter military water containers. A couple of months back I was traversing an old wagon trail called the Mojave Road (info at bottom of this post). Some offroader lost a Reliance 7 Gallon Aquatainer which fell off the trail and rolled into the bushes. It was missing the cap which I picked up for $5 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... RJQ8JAXNK9

New containers are $14.95 https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... op?ie=UTF8

I took the "lost" container home and cleaned it out. I found it to be scuffed but no leaks. I filled it with water and a good dose of chlorine and put on the new cap. Laying it on it's side it did not leak anywhere. I did see at Amazon one guy added an O-ring to the spigot stem

"I read the other reviews, everybody says the spigots leak. But so does every other water carrier spigot on the market that I've seen, so what then? I looked at the cap, there is a nice thick rubber gasket seal in there. Cool, so that won't leak. The spigot has a nice flange at the base of the threads, and the surfaces on the cap match up nicely. As if it was designed to have an o-ring there... Well, knowing that this would be a leak point, I went to the hardware store with it and matched one up. 7/8" ID, 1/8" thick was a perfect fit. I filled it up and placed it on it's side with the spigot pointing down, not a single drop in an hour. 47 cents was my cost, your local hardware store may be cheaper, a bulk order for someone mass producing water carriers would surely get them cheaper..."

Image

Image

There are 693 reviews on Amazon and the bulk of them are good. Perusing the poor reviews it almost seems as if Reliance has spotty quality control.

To me the chief flaw is when the spigot is placed on the inside of the lid and in the water. That leaves the spigot opening exposed to dust and dirt. I'd put a small rubber plug/cork into the opening. I think leaving the spigot screwed onto the outside is inviting it to be broken off.

Mojave Road info
_______________________________________________________

Very nice maps: http://www.davebarton.com/mojave
http://www.mojave-road.com/
Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier (ISBN: 978-0914224372)
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:58 pm

teotwaki wrote:For a long time I have used Scepter military water containers. A couple of months back I was traversing an old wagon trail called the Mojave Road (info at bottom of this post). Some offroader lost a Reliance 7 Gallon Aquatainer which fell off the trail and rolled into the bushes. It was missing the cap which I picked up for $5 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... RJQ8JAXNK9

New containers are $14.95 https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... op?ie=UTF8

I took the "lost" container home and cleaned it out. I found it to be scuffed but no leaks. I filled it with water and a good dose of chlorine and put on the new cap. Laying it on it's side it did not leak anywhere. I did see at Amazon one guy added an O-ring to the spigot stem

"I read the other reviews, everybody says the spigots leak. But so does every other water carrier spigot on the market that I've seen, so what then? I looked at the cap, there is a nice thick rubber gasket seal in there. Cool, so that won't leak. The spigot has a nice flange at the base of the threads, and the surfaces on the cap match up nicely. As if it was designed to have an o-ring there... Well, knowing that this would be a leak point, I went to the hardware store with it and matched one up. 7/8" ID, 1/8" thick was a perfect fit. I filled it up and placed it on it's side with the spigot pointing down, not a single drop in an hour. 47 cents was my cost, your local hardware store may be cheaper, a bulk order for someone mass producing water carriers would surely get them cheaper..."

Image

Image

There are 693 reviews on Amazon and the bulk of them are good. Perusing the poor reviews it almost seems as if Reliance has spotty quality control.

To me the chief flaw is when the spigot is placed on the inside of the lid and in the water. That leaves the spigot opening exposed to dust and dirt. I'd put a small rubber plug/cork into the opening. I think leaving the spigot screwed onto the outside is inviting it to be broken off.
Thank you for this post. What was the OD of the O-ring?

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
"I read the other reviews, everybody says the spigots leak. But so does every other water carrier spigot on the market that I've seen, so what then? I looked at the cap, there is a nice thick rubber gasket seal in there. Cool, so that won't leak. The spigot has a nice flange at the base of the threads, and the surfaces on the cap match up nicely. As if it was designed to have an o-ring there... Well, knowing that this would be a leak point, I went to the hardware store with it and matched one up. 7/8" ID, 1/8" thick was a perfect fit. I filled it up and placed it on it's side with the spigot pointing down, not a single drop in an hour. 47 cents was my cost, your local hardware store may be cheaper, a bulk order for someone mass producing water carriers would surely get them cheaper..."
Thank you for this post. What was the OD of the O-ring?
I would guess 7/8" ID + 1/8" thick + 1/8" thick = 1 1/8" overall OD
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:16 pm

teotwaki wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
"I read the other reviews, everybody says the spigots leak. But so does every other water carrier spigot on the market that I've seen, so what then? I looked at the cap, there is a nice thick rubber gasket seal in there. Cool, so that won't leak. The spigot has a nice flange at the base of the threads, and the surfaces on the cap match up nicely. As if it was designed to have an o-ring there... Well, knowing that this would be a leak point, I went to the hardware store with it and matched one up. 7/8" ID, 1/8" thick was a perfect fit. I filled it up and placed it on it's side with the spigot pointing down, not a single drop in an hour. 47 cents was my cost, your local hardware store may be cheaper, a bulk order for someone mass producing water carriers would surely get them cheaper..."
Thank you for this post. What was the OD of the O-ring?
I would guess 7/8" ID + 1/8" thick + 1/8" thick = 1 1/8" overall OD
Thanks.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I would guess 7/8" ID + 1/8" thick + 1/8" thick = 1 1/8" overall OD
Thanks.
I think i will take my cap and spigot with me to Ace Hardware and check for fit :v:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm

teotwaki wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I would guess 7/8" ID + 1/8" thick + 1/8" thick = 1 1/8" overall OD
Thanks.
I think i will take my cap and spigot with me to Ace Hardware and check for fit :v:
I need to do the same, then fill them. I like to re-use 2-liter bottles. Their easier for me to carry. I found three carriers for 2-liters so far. They stack fairly well, up to a point.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I need to do the same, then fill them. I like to re-use 2-liter bottles. Their easier for me to carry. I found three carriers for 2-liters so far. They stack fairly well, up to a point.

This sort of commercial carrier?

Image

...or a full coverage one?

Image
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:05 pm

teotwaki wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:I need to do the same, then fill them. I like to re-use 2-liter bottles. Their easier for me to carry. I found three carriers for 2-liters so far. They stack fairly well, up to a point.

This sort of commercial carrier?

Image

...or a full coverage one?

Image
Commercial carriers. I didn't know that there were full coverage ones.

I must upgrade. :mrgreen:

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 pm

What's wrong with the 5 gallon office jugs? They are like $6 a jug and a pump for them is around $10 at Walmart. Prefilled and sealed bottles are around $14 at Home Depot.

Just wondering why most people don't use them...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:What's wrong with the 5 gallon office jugs? They are like $6 a jug and a pump for them is around $10. Just wondering why most people don't use them...
That would be more than I would want to lift. They're a good idea, just not working for me.

User avatar
Bostoned
*
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
Location: Deep behind enemy lines in Boston, ma

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by Bostoned » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:What's wrong with the 5 gallon office jugs? They are like $6 a jug and a pump for them is around $10 at Walmart. Prefilled and sealed bottles are around $14 at Home Depot.

Just wondering why most people don't use them...
That is what i do. You can get the 5 gallon water jugs at BJ's for around $5. But you have to pay a $5 deposit on the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:What's wrong with the 5 gallon office jugs? They are like $6 a jug and a pump for them is around $10 at Walmart. Prefilled and sealed bottles are around $14 at Home Depot.

Just wondering why most people don't use them...

I don't think anything is wrong with them and the pricing is reasonable. What is inconvenient is they are round, don't stack and most of them don't have handles.

There are nice storage units for them

Image
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

voyaginator
*
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by voyaginator » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 am

I have several samson containers https://goo.gl/EwdZum stackable, BPA free, found the price correct, portable and made in the US :clap:

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am

Bloodlust posted this dispenser idea in the 2017 Hurricane thread

Image
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Best deal on water containers?

Post by teotwaki » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I would guess 7/8" ID + 1/8" thick + 1/8" thick = 1 1/8" overall OD
Thanks.
I think i will take my cap and spigot with me to Ace Hardware and check for fit :v:
I need to do the same, then fill them. I like to re-use 2-liter bottles. Their easier for me to carry. I found three carriers for 2-liters so far. They stack fairly well, up to a point.
Just went to Home Depot and I purchased a 6 pack of #217 O-rings (Partsmaster Pro) 1 1/16" ID and 7/8" ID and it works well.

In the new cap that I bought is a main gasket and it seemed to weep a little. Pulled it out and instead of it being flat it was a little cone shaped. I put it back in so that it presented the narrower part towards the water can's mouth and tightened it down, No leaks now.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Post Reply

Return to “Family Prep”