It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lighting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:31 pm 

So a brief search left me empty handed. I was wondering what everyone does for lighting in a SHTF situation? I have plenty of flashlights with a fairly large battery cache and also have 5 oil hurricane lanterns with roughly 4 gallons of oil as well. I know that will be more than sufficient in any situation for the short term but what does everyone suggest for long term? Oil will run out, candles will melt away, and batteries will go dead. So what then?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: lighting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Maybe a portable solar panel, a AA battery charger and one of those small, efficient LED lanterns that use AA batteries. Basically this:

Plus this:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 am 

jimdawg wrote:
So a brief search left me empty handed. I was wondering what everyone does for lighting in a SHTF situation? I have plenty of flashlights with a fairly large battery cache and also have 5 oil hurricane lanterns with roughly 4 gallons of oil as well. I know that will be more than sufficient in any situation for the short term but what does everyone suggest for long term? Oil will run out, candles will melt away, and batteries will go dead. So what then?

Look to the past. Vegetable and fruit oils, rendered animal fats and fish oil were common lamp fillers before refined petroleum products came along. Beeswax was used for candle-making long before paraffin wax took over.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:55 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have LED lighting that runs on AAA & AA's mostly.

Home brew solar generator.

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 am 

huge tubs of crisco are multi purpose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 am 

Lots of different options, but I have a Wakawaka that works pretty well for lighting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:34 am 

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm 

DarkAxel wrote:
Beeswax was used for candle-making long before paraffin wax took over.

It still is, the beeswax candles just cost a lot more now than the paraffin ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Some good threads on the subject:

Easy Multiday Lighting
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57197

Bug In solar powered Lights
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83824

8 Lanterns - Various Fuels with an excellent review of each
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89998

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:01 pm 

after seeing one of these at an outing I picked up a couple. always charged, takes up little space, charges fast with little light
http://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-Infl ... B00P3O0H6A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 pm 

I would suggest you avoid anything with oil or an open flame, especially if you have younger children (assuming that's the case, considering this is the "Family Prep" forum).

In addition to a sizable stash of Maglights and head lamps, I have a half dozen or so Eton "Blackout Buddy" lights plugged in throughout the house. They're very utilitarian, and do double duty as nightlights and emergency lighting. Downside is they only have a ~4 hour run time, but I recommend them, nonetheless.

For a more long term solution, I've been really happy with the UST 30 Day Lantern. I have a few and pulled them out last night in preparation for the blizzard, and I'm reminded how solid and well made these things are. Even on the lowest setting they puts out a surprisingly good amount of light, and they will run for 30 days on 3 D Cell batteries.

It also dawned on me this afternoon that the LED candle lights we have in the windows for the holidays make for excellent emergency lighting. Each one puts off a decent amount of light, and under normal circumstances we run them 6 hours a day all winter on a pair of D batteries.

If 30+ days of lighting isn't enough for you (i.e. if "SHTF" means "TEOTWAWKI" to you), than you need to stop thinking about lighting and instead think about sustainable power generation. As you said, anything your prep or stockpile can eventually run out. If long term lighting is important to you, you should consider an off-the-grid solar array and battery bank - so long as you can maintain it, that'll keep whatever lights you want on indefinitely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:06 am 

I have a couple 40watt solar panels as well as some smaller panels in the garage. they can charge some booster packs I have , those in turn can power usb,12v,120volt lights or equipment. I have several lights that can charge from usb, and a small to medium size supply of rechargeable aa and aaa cells that can run a number of flashlights in the house. there are several hand crank lights sitting around the house.

I have a few "trouble" lights that can run off 12volt of the booster packs and give off tons of light. I also have some hurricane lanterns and oil stored as well as a medium bin full of candles, including some of the 72(?) hour candles in the glass jar.

for heat we can use our woodstove in the basement and we have a fairly large supply of wood to feed it.

Post subject: lighting
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:35 pm 

I use a multi tiered approach. I have a good supply of candles, then I have oil lamps and lanterns for brighter lighting, then I have coleman lanterns for "I need to seriously see what I'm doing here" moments. And of course, more flashlights than my wife thinks necessary. I just built a 2 battery 12v battery bank attached to a single solar panel for led lighting and recharging the batteries for the flashlights as well as keeping MP3 players, laptops, and cellphones charged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIOCFAIDH AR LA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

[quote="majorhavoc"]Maybe a portable solar panel, a AA battery charger and one of those small, efficient LED lanterns that use AA batteries. Basically this:

We maintain a variety of lights at our home and BOV. The Black Diamond area light major posted is one I keep in my Jeep, great light.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:54 pm 

While not long term lighting so a little off topic but nothing beats the power of a glow stick for little ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:46 pm 

I have recently been looking at picking some of these solar powered lanterns from Luminaid. http://luminaid.com/collections/solar-lights

*edit to add,

But if your talking longer term TEOTWAWKI where all supplies run out and we are left to rebuild from what we know and can build on our own. Then it is bees wax candles and oil lamps. Not the modern lamp oil. The old oils made from animal fats, vegetable oils, or nut oils.

But the reality is if things got that bad, then folks would be doing a lot less late night living. We would likely go back to our natural segmented sleep cycle of sleeping for 4 hours, being awake for 2 hours, then sleeping for another 4 hours. There would be a lot less use for lights, as when it got dark we would just head to bed. The whole staying awake for large amounts of night is a fairly modern thing and really only started after electric lights became common place. Even when there was a lot of gas lights, folks didn't stay up in the night like we do now.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:48 pm 

Another good idea for little ones is a flashlight with changeable colored discs so they can change the color of the light. I have a flashlight from the Army from when I was in Basic, (no I'm not armed forces didn't finish basic) and you can change the color of the lens white, red, and blue. My 3 year old loves it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:02 am 

Avoid cheap Chinese-made Wal-Mart lanterns, which sometimes leak. Go with quality German-made Feuerhand lanterns (you can save on factory seconds with minor blemishes) and high-quality lamp oil (kerosene can be a bit smokey/stinky indoors and trigger chemical sensitivities).

http://www.vermontlanterns.com/content/ ... actory-2nd

http://www.lowes.com/pd_130791-486-2209 ... Id=3544270

I also haunt the clearance page of the Fenix Outfitters website for flashlight/charger/battery deals. Also love the new Fenix CL25R Little Penguin rechargable lantern, which is small but very versatile.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/open-box ... continued/

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-cl ... e-lantern/

Last but not least, don't forget candles. I prefer beewax, and usually buy in bulk when Blue Corn naturals has sales on cosmetically flawed but otherwise fully functional candles.

http://www.beeswaxcandles.com/mm5/merch ... urebeeswax

In the ever-expanding category of "Things I lust over but will never be able to avoid" I would add these high-end lanterns:

http://www.britelyt.com/lanterns/500cp-lantern.html

Last but not least, Lehman's (sells a lot of Amish/off-grid products) has some nifty olive oil lamps - you can burn olive oil past its use-by date rather than dumping it out.

https://www.lehmans.com/c-29-olive-oil-lamps.aspx

All of these items, especially candles and batteries, will be GREAT barter items so stock extra while you can!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
I have recently been looking at picking some of these solar powered lanterns from Luminaid. http://luminaid.com/collections/solar-lights

Has anyone used one of these before?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:44 pm 

SJlikeslists wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

Has anyone used one of these before?

There are some independent reviews of the pillow looking style ones on youtube if you want to check, and so far they seem to have a pretty good reputation. Which is why I am looking at picking some up. Just and FYI, there are 2 versions of the pillow shaped ones. V1 is only 16 hr charge life, 35 lumins, and only has high and low function while the newer model packlite 16 has a 30 hr life, 65 max lumins, extra bright/high/low/32 hr flash modes.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:49 pm 

Thank you for sharing, ineffableone. I'm all intrigued by the lantern-like ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 am 

I have always liked this idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

drop bear wrote:
I have always liked this idea.

yeah at first it looks like a slick, thinking out of box idea....But looking realistically long term, it's pretty poor thinking IMHO

Light only available when outside ambient has decent light.
Put a bunch of big holes in a SOUND roof and patch using thin plastic and silicone. I guarantee leaks abound, especially after some weather. Plus not too many people who have tin or galvanized roofs.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:46 am 

That's a DIY of a deck/sidewalk prism.
You mostly see them in the shape of a candy kiss because people stick them upside-down on shelves to use them as décor, but they also come in rectangles.
Image Image
These are vault lights aka sidewalk lights for basements, etc.
Installed here - Image
From all sides -
http://www.nia.org/notins/images/prism3.jpg

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.