It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm 

...and me nor my husband does not.

We received your typical diaper bag when my DS was born but after about six months it kinda fell apart. I don't know if it was just cheap or we used it more than a normal diaper bag would be used. But instead of spending money on another diaper bag I put all his stuff into a regular backpack.

Now grandma babysits him for us and she lives in the next town over which is about 15-20 minutes on the highway. His backpack always has 10 diapers, Vaseline, sunscreen, sippy cup of fresh water, and a small container of cheerios. He also has a change of clothes, a jacket and usually another pair of shoes too.

I just realized this after reading a thread about what people put in their BOBs and that it's pretty close. So you know it wouldn't be too hard to convert your baby's diaper bag to their bug out bag. Plus a regular backpack, at least compared to my old diaper bag, has a lot more space in it. So I could also fit in a toy or two for him too. And it's a lot easier to carry than a regular diaper bag.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:18 pm 

Sheds a good light on the subject for those of with kiddo's...if you would make sure you child has all these things, why not make sure their guardian is just as prepared? You baby's diaper bag is good only as long as yer alive/mentally fit to use the stuff in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Plus it's a good reminder that a "bug out bag" doesn't need to be a molle compatible mil-spec bag filled with tactical gear. Or at least it doesn't have to start out that way.

Imagine any kind of real world situation that would prevent you from getting home or even to civilized support for 72 hours. What would you need to both survive and be reasonably comfortable? A few granola bars? A change of underwear? A toothbrush and toothpaste? A sudoku book and a pen?

Start with that concept and make it happen. From there, expand your kit according to your own personal risk assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

LyraJean wrote:
So you know it wouldn't be too hard to convert your baby's diaper bag to their bug out bag. Plus a regular backpack …

That's what we ended up doing. Always packed with spare clothes, diapers, a snack, etc., for at least 24 hours in a grab-and-go situation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 pm 

Additions to the bag:
Index card with contact numbers and medical information such as blood type, allergies, immunization records, doctor/dentist, insurance information.
Medical care permission slip.
Small photo album of family photos.
Envelope with cash, $40 dollars in ones, $20 bill, $20 in tens.
You never know when a natural disaster can strike and a little bit of cash can help.
Have at the grandparents place a supply of foods and drinks the little one is use to consuming.
A favorite "huggy" stuffed animal.
A prepaid, charged cell phone with emergency and contact numbers in it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 pm 

My wife and I have inadvertently done the same basic thing. We've always had bags for each of them ready to go. After my son fell and broke his arm, my wife even started keeping an extra bag ready with entertainments items for my other son in case of trips to the ER. She calls it here electronics bug out bag.

Gunner: "Kill them?"
Me: "That's right, we kill them...again."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 am 

Plus a bandolier of spare ammo, right?

7.62x39 (AK47), .45ACP (1911), Cherry (Pie/Cobbler)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 pm 

I just posted this on another thread, but it seems to fit better here: for kids that are a little older, small coloring or puzzle books can be a lifesaver in a stressful or "stranded" situation. My daughter got into some fire ants a few weeks ago and the little sticker book and dot-to-dot books I keep in her bag were just as much a comfort/help as the first aid kit was.

The diaper bag I chose was a backpack style and we use it even now that she's not in diapers anymore. It holds a change of clothes, a towel, first aid kit, books, mini-puzzle books from the dollar store, a bottle of water, etc.

"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome."
Isabel Allende

"Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness."
-James Thurber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 pm 

So I'm going to start potty training soon. I realized that a lot of stuff that I carry in his diaper bag can still be used. It seemed more fitting to just put the post here than to create a new thread.

Diaper wipes - I'm obviously not going to need to buy 800 wipes at a time soon. But having a package of wipes in his bag makes for quick clean up of face and hands especially after eating and playing.

Sunscreen - For obvious reasons as this product is not just a baby item. Luckily D3 doesn't burn like I do but we still use it.

Desitin or another diaper cream- Diaper rash cream like Desitin is zinc oxide. It's the same stuff you see on a lifeguard's nose. So while I probably won't buy anymore after I no longer need it. It can be used as sunscreen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:05 pm 

Any parent that hasn't unknowingly become a prepper is just not with it.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:51 pm 

I thought the same thing, at first. By default wife managed the diaper bag (she works from home, so she takes care of our daughter full time), and everywhere we went with our daughter, the bag came along, and it always seemed to have everything we needed.

But then that faithful day came when it was just me and my newborn daughter alone, on our way to meet some friends of mine for Dim Sum, we were running late, and I couldn't find the diaper bag. I finally found it left on the floor boards of the minivan, grabbed it, and didn't look inside until we were already in Chinatown at the restaurant and the kid had a blowout poop in her diaper. That's when I realized that the diaper bag was half empty.

That was the first and last time I had to MacGyver a diaper change.

See, the problem was that the diaper bag was actually an EDC, and every day my wife and daughter went out, the bag got depleted - diapers were used, extra clothes were soiled, food was consumed. And what I didn't realize is that my wife didn't restock the bag until just before she was ready to leave the house again, and that the bag often was left in various places around the house, half empty.

So after the Chinatown incident, I went out and bought my own bag, which I call the "Dad Bag." It's nothing special, just a generic messenger bag stocked more or less the same as the diaper bag (with a couple of my own neurotic touches). The major difference is that this bag doesn't get used by my wife every day - it hangs on a hook on the back door, always fully stocked and ready to go. I use it about once a week when I'm out along with my daughter, but I'm always sure to restock it and return it to its spot on the back door as soon as I get home.

Moral of the story: have a BoB for your kid, and two bags are better than one...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:34 pm 

My little just turned 1. We have a diaper bag that I HATED to carry because it was always too big and bulky. We're rarely out for more than a few hours at a time so I just expanded my tote to hold a few diapers, wipes, wet bag, clean shirt and a snack.
So I turned the big diaper bag into baby BOB. It has a few more clothes (hat and shoes!), about 15 diapers and wipes (cloth), butt cream/lotion. cheerios, some pouches, sippy cup and some formula (he's always been breastfed but I figure milk will be hard to find and formula is easy and calorie dense. and these were free samples). also a couple baby spoons.
ring sling is right next to it and the mei tai carrier is in the car.

a few things I know are in our babies BOB that I haven't heard mentioned yet... pain relievers (ibu and tylenol and the dosing syringes). he's growing molars now and it's AWFUL for him so I know that's in there.
also a few bandaids, nail clippers, and nasal saline.
sunscreen and baby wash
teethers

any ideas about what else should be in there? or something I don't need?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:47 pm 

I always carried a towel, a blanket, or something else to lay the baby on while changing her.

"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome."
Isabel Allende

"Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness."
-James Thurber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:59 pm 

Yeah, i have the changing pad that came with the diaper bag as well as a muslin swaddle blanket and a warm fleece blanket.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:40 pm 

Columbia (which makes outdoor gear) has some diaper bags available. I assume it's more durable than ghe regular diaper bags.
Jeep has some too.
I saw them in Toys R Us/Babies R Us

www.google.com.ph/search?q=columbia+diaper+bag&btnG=

Bear_B wrote:
I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 pm 

Back in the diaper days, the original bag we had was a baby shower gift but after a few months the strap broke.

I ended up buying a Dickies brand messager style bag, very durable. We used that for awhile but we lost it when we moved.

For the final stretch of slinging diapers I was getting sick of single strap bags and ended up buying a North Face back pack, which we used for diapers, then hiking/travel and eventually passed onto our son for school, so it's held up for about 6 years now. Great bag.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:13 pm 

turbo6 wrote:
Back in the diaper days, the original bag we had was a baby shower gift but after a few months the strap broke.

I ended up buying a Dickies brand messager style bag, very durable. We used that for awhile but we lost it when we moved.

For the final stretch of slinging diapers I was getting sick of single strap bags and ended up buying a North Face back pack, which we used for diapers, then hiking/travel and eventually passed onto our son for school, so it's held up for about 6 years now. Great bag.

We started out with backpacks, and never looked back.