German Sheperd watch dog problem.

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tony d tiger

Re: German Sheperd watch dog problem.

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:34 pm

After owning/working with our female shepherd-mix for a year, I started looking for a second dog. I wanted another female, but everyone counseled me against that. I think our trainer put it best; paraphrasing her words to me: Male/Female pairs bond; Male/Male you will have some struggles for dominance but it will be mostly noise and bluff fights 'for show' -no real blooding; two Females though will fight ~HARD~ and likely cause serious damage - avoid two females of equal age.

That said I'll wager your two males will be alright WITH TRAINING...and they're old enough that you should have both neutered. Just sayin...
Last edited by tony d tiger on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony D

phalanx

Re: German Sheperd watch dog problem.

Post by phalanx » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:16 pm

I just now noticed how old this thread is. OP hasn't logged on since August, but still lots of good info for people thinking about a couple GS!
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Return to “Family Prep”