Best place to shop for prepped food?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Orangebatman21

Best place to shop for prepped food?

Post by Orangebatman21 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 am

I'm new to prepping and I have been reading up on a lot of tips on this forum. I wanted to know where's the best place to buy/order prepped food. I know some online websites that sell them but I'd like to know who has the best price. Also if there is a store where I could go buy them because I'd much rather pay in cash. I live in Houston,TX
Democracy is 2 wolves & a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb - Anonymous

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Best place to shop for prepped food?

Post by ineffableone » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Orangebatman21 wrote:I'm new to prepping and I have been reading up on a lot of tips on this forum. I wanted to know where's the best place to buy/order prepped food. I know some online websites that sell them but I'd like to know who has the best price. Also if there is a store where I could go buy them because I'd much rather pay in cash. I live in Houston,TX
The best place price wise is the LDS Home storage centers http://providentliving.org/self-relianc ... stern%20US
Here is a price list http://providentliving.org/self-relianc ... m?lang=eng They recently changed some things on how these centers operate. East of the Mississippi I think no longer has people can stuff themselves but offers pre canned goods while west of the Mississippi it depends on the location. I see on the order form page 2 of TX locations still offer the canning option. The location in your area does not offer self canning but you should be able to get precanned goods from them TX-Houston, 281-537-1785, 16333 Hafer RD, Houston, TX 77090. Give them a call to find out more info and to set up an appointment.

The LDS centers are by far the least expensive way to bulk up your long term food stores. The people are friendly and don't preach to you, just help you get your food stores worked out. The LDS church has been doing preparedness for a very long time and have it down pretty good. They are an invaluable resource for preppers.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Orangebatman21

Post by Orangebatman21 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Thank you for that info. That is definitely helpful! I'll be giving them a call real soon.
Democracy is 2 wolves & a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb - Anonymous

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 pm

I also recommend the LDS. I have used,and store, their products and have yet to find a better value---other then growing and storing your own

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Honestly two of the best places are Sams and Costco. You can buy a wide variety of bulk products, canned products and similar prepared foods in quantity for cash and no one will bat an eye.

Call ahead of time and they will even pull the order for you. If you want open an account in the name of Joes' diner or some other restaurant sounding name.

They will have bulk, rice, beans, pasta in 5 gallon pales and larger sacks as well canned goods in large #10 cans and smaller regular cans. Be sure to check the expiration dates though.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm

What raptor said.

If you're looking to buy under the radar, warehouse stores are the best place to do it. No one bats an eye at anything you buy at those stores.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:What raptor said.

If you're looking to buy under the radar, warehouse stores are the best place to do it. No one bats an eye at anything you buy at those stores.
OP is in Houston. LDS has a store there--they gladly accept cash

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:44 am

What can I expect if I visit the LDS cannery here in El Paso? Is it gonna be a prep-gasm? I'm just curious about what I'm going to be getting into.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Zombie309 wrote:What can I expect if I visit the LDS cannery here in El Paso? Is it gonna be a prep-gasm? I'm just curious about what I'm going to be getting into.
Check out the linked price list in my previous post. You can see what they carry.

They do have a lot of the basics. LDS canneries are amazing and a great way to build a good base of food stores.

*edit to add, you can look up videos on youtube of people's visits to the canneries. To get some idea of what it is like, however most of the centers no longer offer self canning as a choice so most of the videos will be out dated in that respect. So far I haven't visited since the new precanned rule, but from what I have heard from others who have is that it makes things much easier. You go in fill your order and leave. So a bit less in socializing with the new policy.
Last edited by ineffableone on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:33 pm

raptor wrote:Honestly two of the best places are Sams and Costco. You can buy a wide variety of bulk products, canned products and similar prepared foods in quantity for cash and no one will bat an eye.

Call ahead of time and they will even pull the order for you. If you want open an account in the name of Joes' diner or some other restaurant sounding name.

They will have bulk, rice, beans, pasta in 5 gallon pales and larger sacks as well canned goods in large #10 cans and smaller regular cans. Be sure to check the expiration dates though.

Great idea! How much attention do they pay to taxes; some places require you to bring in proof of a resale license.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I like LDS products from the LDS store listed above.

Augason Farms products from Walmart also have free shipping (on orders over $45) and are very affordable. They are also easy to do returns to if anything is damaged.

http://www.walmart.com/tp/augason-farms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a lot of Lentils and Potato Flakes from Augason farm, and some misc other stuff too. Their 28 pound buckets of rice stack quiet well, are set up for 25 year storage, and are very affordably priced, I feel.

Ryodan

Post by Ryodan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 am

this post has been very helpful, thank you guys.I plan on going down to the lds food center in the near future and buying a decent supply as a start then adding to it over time. They seem to be by far the best way to stock food for the $$$. those freeze dried meals add up fast.

I have a few questions:

1: water, how much water per person per day do you think should be stored just for cooking? I live in a desert and in a bug in I need to have all my water stored. (currently looking into 50 gallon drums for the garage but price wise I think 5 gallon water jugs would be best just a LOT more room, or I could build a rack for them) water storage gets me funny looks from the wife, so I'm trying not to go all "nutty prepper" all at once lol

2: other foods: should I consider a certain amount of the freeze dried food in event of having to go mobile? like 1 weeks worth maybe?

3: has anyone eaten the food from the lds? comments on taste/quality?

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 am

Zombie309 wrote:What can I expect if I visit the LDS cannery here in El Paso? Is it gonna be a prep-gasm? I'm just curious about what I'm going to be getting into.
I didn't see this earlier.

It depends. Here in Houston, when you open a bag of something, you can the entire bag, so if your group wanted 30 cans of beans and 6 bags makes 34, there'd be an overrun of 4 cans, so they'd go in the for sale/next group area.

This means when you go there you can get lucky and they'll have 5 cans of what you're looking for on the wall, or they'll have 1. You can certainly call ahead and I'm sure they'll tell you what they have.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:19 am

Ryodan wrote:this post has been very helpful, thank you guys.I plan on going down to the lds food center in the near future and buying a decent supply as a start then adding to it over time. They seem to be by far the best way to stock food for the $$$. those freeze dried meals add up fast.

I have a few questions:

1: water, how much water per person per day do you think should be stored just for cooking? I live in a desert and in a bug in I need to have all my water stored. (currently looking into 50 gallon drums for the garage but price wise I think 5 gallon water jugs would be best just a LOT more room, or I could build a rack for them) water storage gets me funny looks from the wife, so I'm trying not to go all "nutty prepper" all at once lol

2: other foods: should I consider a certain amount of the freeze dried food in event of having to go mobile? like 1 weeks worth maybe?

3: has anyone eaten the food from the lds? comments on taste/quality?
You may want about 5 gallons per person per day to cover drinking, cooking, cleaning. The water you use for cleaning and flushing the toilet if you still plan on doing that can be less clean water or 'gray water'. You can find cheap used barrels but make sure they were holding food products. I like a mix of stationary and portable water tanks. Do you have room for a big water tank from a Tractor Supply type store? Those can be hundreds of gallons and aren't too bad on price.

Get extra stores of what you already eat daily, and basics (beans, rice, wheat, oats, etc) before you worry about Freeze Dried. I like some MREs for camping, bug out bags and power outages. I think the BEST powdered milk out there is THRIVE Instant Milk. Its for drinking not baking and I can't tell its powder. Awesome but pricey.

LDS food is wheat berries, flour, beans, rice, dehydrated onions etc. It taste just like any other wheat, rice, etc tastes. Stock up on seasonings.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:29 am

raptor wrote:Honestly two of the best places are Sams and Costco. You can buy a wide variety of bulk products, canned products and similar prepared foods in quantity for cash and no one will bat an eye.

Check with your local Sam's/Costco on details - mine never has bulk beans. :cry: But that's my favorite place to get rice since I'm putting it up in 5 gallon buckets. The Sam's folks don't blink at the rice, but where I live everyone else in the store sure does. I go to the LDS for things that I want in #10 can size lots - powdered milk, carrot dices, apple slices, instant potatoes, diced onions. Apple slices and diced onions are great, btw. Haven't cracked into the milk since I'm still rotating thru my previous supply. The black beans are fine but contained more dust and gravel than you will find in the near-pristine beans you buy in 1 lb bags in the store these days. (This is not an issues as long as you pick over your beans and rinse them before cooking.)
ZombieGranny wrote:Please keep in mind that the boxes are VERY WELL MARKED.
I dunno if that's changed with the new pre-packed rules, but the boxes we got when we were canning our own there were plain white. They had nutritional label stickers to put on them to keep track of what was in there, and we wrote our names on the boxes, but it's simple to turn those to face a wall when you store them, then they're just boxes.
Ryodan wrote: 2: other foods: should I consider a certain amount of the freeze dried food in event of having to go mobile? like 1 weeks worth maybe?
I've gone with pre-packed commercial stuff, most of which is meant to be heat&eat (like precooked rice packets, chef boyardee). It's not as light as freeze dried but needs less water, I know my family will eat it, and it's easy to rotate thru. But at least 3 days of the mobile food of your choice, more if you can carry it, is an extremely sound plan.

I've invested in some freeze-dried cheese (also easy to rotate thru) and eggs, but everything else I've tried is going to be luxury items
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Ryodan

Post by Ryodan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:41 pm

as far as water storage I'm looking at getting a 275 gallon water tote for the garage, if i can find a good price. Then stock a couple of those 5gal pourable water containers so I have a carriable container to transfer water to once a day. I think 5 of those will be good as that would be enough water to get us through minor water outages without cracking open the big tank.

I have found locally 55gal food grade drums used for soda syrup, can buy them used direct from the bottling plant for, i think it was $50? but i have to clean them out so would need a pressure washer and I imagine the flavor would have been absorbed into the plastic, although if i have 2 choices no water or bad tasting water I'll take bad tasting water every time lol. The other problem with the drums is storage, they are no where near as good as the totes for water per sw ft of used garage space. Also its far easier to say to your wife you purchased one big ass water tote than 5 water barrels. Water totes also have that metal frame on them so I can stack other stuff on top, I don't really want all my neighbors to know if they are without water I have a lot. In fact I want them thinking I'm just as thirsty and don't have any.

anyone ever tried the soda syrup / concentrated juice barrels for water and notice a taste?

editing to add: best price i have found on 55gal drums locally is $25, or $20 if I buy 3 or more problem is
drums are all food grade and have been used to store vinegar, white wine or soy sauce or pepper sauce
I imagine soy sauce and pepper sauce would leave a really bad taste if the drum transfers taste to the water. and I would prefer an ibc tote but I cant find any food grade ones yet

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Where I've bought some of my prep food.

http://www.thereadystore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/emergency- ... Action=pop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.foodinsurance.com/a-la-carte-food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://beprepared.com/food-storage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Emergency Essentials)

http://www.campingsurvival.com/water-and-food.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Southron Boy

Post by Southron Boy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:21 pm

If it is something you don't want people to know you have, you do NOT want them delivered to your house.

can you tell me what's in the "starter kit"?

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Southron Boy wrote:
If it is something you don't want people to know you have, you do NOT want them delivered to your house.

can you tell me what's in the "starter kit"?
See here for more info http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... -1__195787
The starter kit contains recipes, instructional pamphlets, visual aids for teaching family home storage principles, and one can each of flour, red wheat, white wheat, rice, pinto beans, and oats. A case contains 28 lbs. of product.
Cans are #10 cans, which is a lot of food in one can.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Southron Boy

Post by Southron Boy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 pm

thanks. there's one of those LDS stores not too far from me. maybe I'll check it out.

Return to “Family Prep”