It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 am 

Ok, my step son turns 13 this month and I'm looking for present ideas for his birthday. He's already got a sleeping bag, pack, and the essentials to be a member but not very much in the way of self reliance. He loves to do all the out door stuff with me tho and learns quick. Any ideas?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:52 am 

Depends, has he got a good swiss army knife/leatherman?
Does he shoot? Maybe a .22LR or if he's done a lot of shooting a .223. You hang onto it to keep it secure then go out shooting together, not only an awesome present but good bonding activity

I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote:
You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

13 year old boy...hmmm....

1. Knife. I am prone to Kershaw's these days. Just bought a Scallion the other day and I love it.
2. 10/22 or .270 if he has a .22lr
3. New fishing pole
4. Snares and traps
5. Fire starting kit (help him make it after providing the basics.

Honestly, at 13 years old, I would have smiled immensely at anything that was outdoor related, but that was a long time ago. My advice is buy something that you have intimate knowledge in using. Something that allows you to pass on what you know to him.

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 am 

Give him something beside an object-

Take him rock climbing and teach him to repel (Abseiling ) safely. I have seen this provide a tremendous boost to a child's sense of reliance and self-worth, as a bonus.

Sign him up for a first aid course and a follow up advanced/wilderness FA course. Knowledge is power, baby!

Take him on an extended camping trip - 3 or 4 days. Hike somewhere, sleep in a tent and eat badly cooked food. He'll remember that a lot longer/more than a pocketknife or new gadget.

If he has to miss school, tell them he will be participating in an "Ecology field survey". Take a few notes and turn in a short report for the trip. IF the school thing is at all a bother

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am 

We do lots of activities together. Achery, camping, fishing, lot of stuff. I plan to take him on a 14 mile 3 day hike next summer, but my vaca time is gone for the year and I'll only be home every 2 weeks until next summer.
He's got a swiss army knife, but thinking on adding a decent fixed. Multitool is a idea to. I have a .22 Henry leaver rifle I can pass on to him to. It was my uncle's and I inherited it. He's not ready for a highpower rifle yet.
While we do fish a decent amount in the summer he's not all that into it do to lack of catching.
Knowledge is power that's why he gets to do every thing he wants with me. However it would be difficult to do one of the courses with him, traveling and all. The missus is busy pretty much being a single mom while I'm gone. Factor in the 2 other kids(14 year old girl and 5 year old boy) kinda busy. Plus the whole visitation thing with the father gets in the way.

I don't know how or have any desire to repell. Plus Kansas isn't known for our mountain climbing. But I really do like the ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 am 

http://ultimatespudgun.com/vader-edition-zombie-slayer-p-276.html ... better yet, buy him the parts to make his own!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm 

Gixxer1237 wrote:
&SNIP*

I don't know how or have any desire to repell. Plus Kansas isn't known for our mountain climbing. But I really do like the ideas.

There is this

and there is also this
(inside a silo)

and
This is in Kansas City. A commercial operation with a good saety record. One and two day courses.
MAybe fun for both of you...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm 

A Mora would be a great first fixed blade for a 13 yr old (or anyone), I'd only give him a rifle if his parents are happy keeping it at their house, but it would still be a great present. I would have been over the moon about either of those presents at 13.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:08 pm 

How about a handheld GPS device and take a couple of hours for some local geocaches?

Or a dual-band handheld amateur radio transceiver with a book to prepare him for the Technician Class exam?

Or a complete EDC key ring (see mine here) with firesteel, flashlight, whistle, handcuff key, USB drive, and any other item you think he might like?

A backpacker's tent?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Does he have a good quality compass already? If not, then a good essential.

I think my favorite outdoors gift when I was a kid was a good high carbon steel fixed blade knife.

Second favorite was a bow followed by a .22

Or binoculars. I loved using binoculars.

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

A good flashlight is worth consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 pm 

An Otterbox filled with little goodies. I love a good Otterbox, and I keep all my firestarting stuff in a 1040 or the next smaller one depending. A Mora is always good too.

I think a bow is an excellent idea if he's not ready for a rifle, but the responsibility is pretty close to the same even if a bow is a little more forgiving.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm 

I guess I should have mentioned a budget of about $65. He will get more but for this part.

He has a bow already but I'm saving up for a new one come spring. He's saving as well.
Also has a good compass.
Really like the otter box full of goodies idea with a day spent in the woods learning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 pm 

http://www.batteryjunction.com/leatherman-wave.html

Slightly above the budget, considering when you factor in postage as well.

I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote:
You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm 

At 13, I'd say these 3 things might be more useful.

LOL.

for real... any of the aforementioned items sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 am 

As others have said, a Mora Knif is an excellent knife for only about $13 on Amazon.com.

I would look towards a few items to round out his supplies, if he doesn't have these:
- water tabs $6
- collapsible bottle $8
- 100' para-cord $7
- fire starter $10
- a whistle without a ball $4
- 40oz klean kanteen (water boiling) $20
- bandanna $3

As for the Henry, just let him know it's his and you will keep it at your place so you can both go together.

I was just thinking, maybe go to zenstoves.net and find some camping stoves you could both make together and use on your camping trips. This way you are both learning how to make an alcohol stove. Add a trangia fuel bottle for $15 from Amazon.com to the list of items you could purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Gixxer1237 wrote:
Knowledge is power

Couldn't agree more, how about survival books & vids? The best BOB/GOOD/INCH is that 3 lb 1200cc gray sack atop the spine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 pm 

A solo stove runs about $70. I like this because it is designed to burn biomass and works great by itself, but there is a fuel burning add on that you can get for it later, a windscreen, and a custom fit pot (none of which are really needed, they just make it nicer) that could also be an additional gift(s) at some point down the road.

There are some backpacking water filters that fit the budget nicely that would also be nice to have in his pack if he doesn't already.

A good knife sharpening tool could also go a long way :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

A good quality slingshot perhaps. Good to start young. Multi-tool. Telescopic Fishing Pole to go in his pack. LED Flashlight, perhaps a LED Headlamp. The Fenix HL30 is what I have and love it. It is Waterproof and runs on two AA Batteries as opposed to three AAA batteries like most headlamps do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 pm 

I plan on giving my 12yo son one of the less expensive katadyne water filters for hiking. He is a Boy Scout and this fits in perfectly. For his birthday he got a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30558

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 am 

When I think of 12 yr old "prepping" gifts I think of a lot actually any of the aformentioned items sound good, how about:

- survival books concerning "edible plants" combined with "Medicinal plants" (about $12 ea)
- Orienteering kit (suunto compass, topo maps of your immediate area) perhaps a book with this on how to use it correctly?
- perhaps a "poket fisherman" which is a fold up fishing pole combined with a small plane tackle box of goodies (easily packable)

Another good thing to get would be an electronic build kit from radio shack, one that comes with a blank micro board, a solder iron, a solar panel, tons of small gadgets and a book of 101 things to make such as a battery charging station (using the solar panel)...Most of these things I have mentioned serve 2 purposes 1 being fun, but 2 education...useful knowledge is the best gift you can give in my mind.

I would waste the money on some camping items from Wally world just to fill the bill...as they tend to not last THAT long, and for little $$ more, you can get quality things online with some patience and a good browser!! lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:50 am 

You might consider some survivalist type fiction as well; 13 is a good age to get into some serious survivalist sci fi. Robert Heinlein is of course the classic (Farnham's Freehold is my favorite but you might try something more in the Young Adult sectino of his catalogue-Red Planet might be a good choice.) Also, the Zombie Survival Guide is always a hit with young boys-got one for me co worker's kid and he loves it to death.

That said, I'm getting my 5 year old a camelpak and a northface hoodie. :awesome:

Ninja Edit: Two other good ones by RAH for young adults are Farmer in the Sky and Tunnel in the Sky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 am 

All preppers should have some silver coins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

So many good ideas here. Silver is back down in price a bit, you can get US 1oz coins for under $25. A Mora, survival books, other outdoor gear is all great ideas.
My brother's daughter just turned 13 and he sent her to the range with me to pick out a 22. She didn't pick the one I would, but it's the one she'll like. Anything to get kids interested is a positive thing, I think.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain