My Prepping Goals for 2013

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Spook1961

My Prepping Goals for 2013

Post by Spook1961 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:40 pm

I need to tighten up my prepping activities in 2013. To be honest, for me, 2012 worked more like a shopping list where I printed off a massive bug out list and headed off to REI or Amazon.com. I didn't go crazy and spend money I didn't have or buy anything particularly outlandish. However, I can see where having some goals and guidelines would have helped with refining my prepping to my family's situation (suburban prepper, buggin in). I can see where I took some mis-steps and will do better in 2013. So, here is my working list of goals for 2013:

1. Stick to my prepping monthly allocated budget.

2. Buy the top priority items on bug out list first (regardless if something else is on sale). One of the first things I purchased when I started prepping was a knife because it was widely recommended and on-sale. It's still in it's original packaging for 2 years now not being utilized. IMHO, I think I should have used the money instead to buy more water related items or other high priority preps first. I need to watch the order in which I purchased.

3. Make better use of technology to stalk items and price compare. Oh yeah. It's been a big time suck for me trolling the web lookin for deals, I need to use technology more efficiently so I'm not spending hours online.

4. Limit time on the web for searching and researching. There is no perfect bag, knife, gun etc. I've spent way too much time looking for the perfect XXXXX. Definitely, need to spend more time doing than looking.

5. Use the equipment this year. Yes, found out the hard way even the stuff that seems pretty straightforward (using firesteel) is not and requires some practice.

6. Network. Need to find my prepping tribe. In my immediate circle of friends, prepping is not their thing. I'll need to make more of an effort to reach out and interact with other preppers and not be the perpetual lurker.

7. Education. Lots to do in this area. Definitely need a first aid basics course. I would like to know how to use a compass. I could go on and on in this area.

Just curious, does anyone else have any prepping goals for 2013?

Nutpantz

Re: My Prepping Goals for 2013

Post by Nutpantz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 pm

More time field testing gear and less time talking about, researching or buying it.
Plus the standard
Eat better, exercise more, buy less on impulse.
Sell junk I don't need.

written in your mud with my stick
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm

The biggest thing we will be working on is getting our Simple Pump.

We will continue with the constants: Education, Networking and Practice with our preps.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Get healthier, maybe down another 10lb or so.
Bulk up canned and H2o storage
Go camping with my oldest
Stay on ZS for more encouragement!

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 am

In no particular order (we'll see how much I get done of course, given how long my list currently is)..

-increasing my physical fitness at a minimum, and preferably lose some weight as well
-continue to grow my business, since reliable income, is important.
-get a handgun and learn to use it with reasonable proficiency. improve my rifle proficiency.
-make a proper kit for my car to use as a combo BOB/GHB
-get the hand pump on the property working again and do a bit of other water related prep.
-improve my insurance situation
- sell off as much "worthless junk" in the outbuildings as possible and use at least some of that space and money to imporove preps.
- do some gardening (certainly have the land)
-get a ham radio license and radio
-try and get set up for at least a 7 day bug-in
- actually familiarize myself a bit more with my primary BOL and the various routes to it.
-take a tool inventory, selling or trading away redundant or unneeded to make way for replacements that can fill any gaps.
-process some of the spare wood into firewood and store it in a better location
-skill dev
-work out mroe and better plans ( my current major earthquake plan is written as "likely, to be very screwed" for example. )
-network
-get better first aid kits
-get a minimal solar system up and running.
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

Johnnie_T

Post by Johnnie_T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:36 pm

This a neat thread idea, kind of like a prepper's list of New Year's Resolutions! I tried to come up with a list of mine and actually had way too many ideas that travelled too many tangents. I think narrowing it down to three is a good start:

1. Tiered prep systems. As an apartment dweller, most of my non-food prep inventory has been consilidated. In the past I have justified this by calling it easy to move around and account for. It's really time to take it more seriously and invest some time and thought to get all my eggs in multi-level baskets.

2. Recreating my food and water prep program from scratch. I will be home from the 'Stan in just a few weeks. I go through the same problem with food storage every time I deploy. I have to move out of an apartment and put my stuff in storage, which is not good for entry-level food and water preps. Usually I give first crack at the stuff to family and donate the rest to a local food bank. This year, I'd like to rebuild my stock of traditional grocery store items, start purchasing freeze-dried items with a longer shelf life, and start some small sustainable-food projects. For an apartment I'm thinking kitchen sprouts, windowbox gardens, and maybe some vine fruits and vegetables in hanging baskets.

3. The practical application of my preps. I love camping and hiking, but it's always been recreational with just a bit of Boy Scout-style bushcraft thrown in. I am way overdue to test out my gear and preps in a mock bugout or minimal gear scenario. I also need to brush up on some long-lost bushcraft and improvisation skills. Being stationed in Kentucky now I have a lot of cool locations to accomplish this.

And the best part is I have the ass-kicking awesomeness that is ZombieSquad to motivate me!

FrankisSteezy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series, The Walking Dead, Pretty much all of them

Post by FrankisSteezy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 am

Focus on my prepping needs and not my wants.
I have 5 guns and i want to get better with each of them.
Finish and Organize my new basement to where its practical and using the stowaway hiding spots for key preps.
Zombie Exterminator

Tactical_Havik

Post by Tactical_Havik » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm

getting the equipment me and my wife need as well as "doggy" bugout bags for my "alarms".
better trained with my rifle up to about 200 yds at least
more physically fit (P90X and Insanity.... hurting now.)
and helping the wife learn some guns and other weapons
keep the dogs from getting fat.
"If you can't get it done with 10 rounds of 45 you dont need more ammo you need air support."
XD "Maxine"
MP15 "Clarice"

Johnnie_T

Post by Johnnie_T » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I just thought of another one that seems to be a hot issue with folks right now and deserves some thought in the coming year; firearms.

I started out, like a lot of folks, thinking that a survival situation would be as simple as buttoning up in place and shooting it out with looters. A few years of reading and experience changed my mind and I can now see where things like sustainable food, alternative power, and first aid training are higher priorities.I own several firearms and have plenty of ammunition on hand, but I've honestly considered streamlining the collection. A lot of them were impulse buys and don't get used often, and some of them just don't seem to have much practicality as a prep item. Getting rid of a few would free up money for more/better ammunition, improved storage, and more safety/proficiency training.
I'd rather have a few dedicated weapons that the whole family can be proficient (and a few collectibles) than have several different firearms and ammo that don't really serve a purpose.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 pm

After fiddling a bit today, I realized a new one: figuring out how to merge the baby's edc/ghb with mine in such a way that I'm not carrying 80 pounds of stuff in addition to her and her carrier.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 am

My goal is pretty vague... get started!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 am

I just put together a kick ass emergency road bag my truck for four people. It has everything plus I've added stuff like road flares, MRE's and water pouches, tools, emergency sleeping bags, mylars, jumper cables, head lamp, etc.

Other than that this year my goal is to install a base CB with a 24ft antenna, buy more MRE's, more H2O pouches, and more ammo. I'm also going to learn how to make dried sausage. Once I've got that down I'm going to stock up on salt.
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

soozey

Post by soozey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:52 am

Since I am just starting out with prepping, my goals are pretty basic:

After I formalize my prepping plan I will
1. Designate and prepare space for supply storage
2. Start food and water stockpile (I'm just buying a few extra items whenever I go shopping)
3. Build my bug out bag and a bag for my car
4. Start a vegetable garden
5. Lose 20lbs
“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities...”
― Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

soozey

Post by soozey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am

00dlez wrote:My goal is pretty vague... get started!
Right there with you!
“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities...”
― Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm bulding a 20x20 caged veggie garden. I start next week! So, I guess I need to lean how to can food now?

Any web links you dudes like?
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

MrFord
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MrFord » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 am

Youth and Enthusiasm Will Never Defeat Old Age And Treachery
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Orwell

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 pm

ZH10950 wrote:I'm bulding a 20x20 caged veggie garden. I start next week! So, I guess I need to lean how to can food now?

Any web links you dudes like?
Go buy the Ball Blue Book of canning. It is the gold standard for both water bath and pressure canning beginners for decades. I break it out every single time I can, just to be 100% certain I didn't forget something. Botulism is no joke.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

1. Help wife attain CCW and her own firearms.
2. Teach oldest daughter about gun safety followed by range time with the 10/22.
3. Learn how to smoke meat
4. Learn more wild edibles in my area and actually find them.
5. Preserve and store more food/water.
6. Expand gardens and utilize stealth gardening.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm

1. Finish water storage project
2. Make a spreadsheet for food storage
3. Continue practicing gardening, fruit tree care and, proper fertilization
4. Devise a way to install a wood stove or insert in our fireplace for $1000 or less.
5. Try and make new friends (like minded and relatively sober). This one seems hard since I quit drinking and am in my mid 30's...
6. Keep all the vehicles properly maintained
7. Stay debt free specifically through Christmas

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 am

1) Increase preps at BOLs Complete. Both BOLs are up to date with preps.
2) Can/pickle my harvest, dry the rest (mostly peppers) Cucumber plants are dead. I had to go away for a while and had a friend watering my plants. Came back to dead cucumbers, still not sure why.
3) Find an O/U 12ga/.223 under $500 Saw another 410/.22LR, $400 still too much imo, so I passed on it.
4) Keep losing weight (a.k.a. Get in better shape) On going.
5) Help friends/relatives with their preps On going.
6) Learn more bushcraft On going.
7) Convince myself to buy a hammock Done. Used it on our last chapter MBO. Clarke North American. Nice and comfy.
8) Keep reducing weight of my INCHDown to 50# now. Did some tweaking and got some new items I need to add and find more to remove.

Probably more, but those are tops on my list as of now.
Last edited by NamelessStain on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

1. Lose 15 lbs.
2. Final tweeks to backpack. It's light enough after the last flame, I just need rain gear worth a damn, a good base layer, a vest and a jacket. I have this stuff now but it's heavy and military based stuff. I'm done with heavy and uncomfortable. To remedy this, I'm getting a Marmot Precip jacket and pants, Minus 33* base layer, a Mountain Hardgear vest and mid layer jacket.
3. Plant more fruit trees, more blueberry bushes and scratch out a garden. The apple trees are doing great so I think I'm going more in that direction. I'm also going to try a couple of almond trees. I haven't broke ground on the garden so hopefully I can tear the grass out and get it filled. Off note, the single peach that developed fell to ground after a storm. Eaten by wildlife. :vmad: I hope you choke, damn raccoon.
4. More range time/training courses/gear.
5. More camp outs/charity events with 045.
6. Sort out food prep area. My closet is over flowing. I have two large bins and lots of mylar bags/water stored. I may have to fight with the wife a little bit to sort this out and claim more ground!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 am

Goals....most people would look and say ok your all done. not true. a large pile of crap doesnt mean a thing.

1. Ask people what they think about things.....then listen. Pay attention to their thoughts and methodologies and try
to plug them in anywhere they fit. If its something new and makes sense add it on. Fine tune everything. What looked fine a year or two ago may be as I have found in a lot of cases...half finished attempts and attempts that didn't have enough knowledge or thought put into them.

2. Source a sealed storage container system. Both to efficiently go on the move if need be, and to have a uniform space saving method of storage. Unfortunately its looking like expensive military surplus boxes so far :| Tired of the whole tote thing. want real handles and real water tight seals.

I'm no spring chicken anymore. And truth is I may never use a lot of the things I have gathered up. A lot of the food expires in the 2040s. I'm looking at insurance for another 20 so years, then handing over a legacy. I'm looking to carefully pack the containers very densely and then add the very best paperback books and manuals that cover all the topics inside the containers. Put them in ziplocks as the top layer and seal em up. OK might toss in a thumb drive too lol. One of those "here. the old man collected the set. If you need it fine, if not hand it down to your kids" sort of thing.

3. Finally get my act together on Medical things. Piling up more gauze squares, band aids and rubber gloves has been an excuse for not training. There. I said it. :?

If I can nail down any portion of those 3 I will be doing good.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:10 am

I have lists of goals!

Right now I want to increase my food storage by 10 more cases of #10 can's. Reasoning is this stuff is more long term than say, canned goods.

I plan to get 4 dinner cases of the Augason Farms food from walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms ... 6/21777150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two of the Breakfast Cases from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms ... 6/21777151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And four more cases of white rice from the LDS Store: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... -1__195866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already have 12ish cases from the LDS store, great value. I think that putting my long term storage in this instead of store bought rice in Mylar will make it more portable, and I can fit an awful lot of those cases into my vehicle if I had to leave in some sort of PAW, or pack them more easily when I move.

After increasing my food I want to buy another 20 cases of bottled water to supplement what I already have stored.

Following that I want to get to 2500 rounds of PMC bronze .223 ammo stored. I have a good bit of ammo already, but its very mixed by brand. I like PMC bronze because its decent ammo in a bronze jacket that's also pretty darn cheap. I am hoping that around the end of august, early September, the prices will be back low enough for me to acquire the ammo.

Spend less money! There are so many places I could cut back, and not any really good reasons why I don't.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am

Purchase enough light weight reliable gear for a quick bug out.

Purchase all of the hunting, fishing, and gathering supplies I would like to have before SHTF.

Purchase the solar panel and power pack I want for a basic camp set up from Goal Zero.

Maybe more.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Return to “Family Prep”