How have your preps evolved?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

M813

Re: How have your preps evolved?

Post by M813 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:57 am

Uh, I think it's called a "Fat Tail" gecko. It was dumped on my wife by her cousin who had to abandon it to move to California.
We feed it, we water it, and it has a heating element in the tank to keep it comfortable in the winter, but we largely ignore it.

As pets go, it is fairly useless and a burden. I enjoy observing animals like this in their native habitats rather than in an aquarium.

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Zombi, Shaun of the Dead

Post by XaqFixx » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:23 pm

I spend more time helping others and working towards cooperation. This weekend I helped a friend who convinced me to become both a firearms trainer and an NRA distinguished expert on pistols/handguns (and expert on small-bore rifles) install a 160m loop antenna on her property. She, and the mutual friend helping out, have inspired me to get back into archery for the first time since working as a Boy Scout Camp Counselor in High School.

I've also been focusing on expanding skills - I'm taking classes on 3D printing, CNC milling, software development, machine sewing, welding, blacksmithing, and helping develop a mesh network (and low power, wide area coms) at the local Makerspace.

Basically - I've shifted from acquisition and self-reliance to education and community development.
KO4DIL General Class; WQZX905 GMRS; '95 F150 4X4 ZS0521; Charlotte, NC

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Basically - I've shifted from acquisition and self-reliance to education and community development.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm in an active community where we help our neighbors. I'm getting more involved with community leaders and we have been fundraising and getting food and supplies to people that need them. I'm also learning how to share my knowledge. I know a lot about foraging and living in the wilderness with minimal supplies. Teaching people how to source some of their food from their surroundings or start and care for a garden can make food stockpiles last much longer. We're getting into fall and I'm putting together some resources on fall and winter gardening for a community group I'm apart of. Most people don't know that carrots can grow through the winter or about gathering and storing seeds for your next growing season.

Return to “Family Prep”