Eye Glasses & recomendations

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm posting to ask what you all recommend for athletic eye glasses. If ... say... a crazy event happened and you wanted your eye glasses to stay with you through heavy activity and not fog and maybe be robust/unlikely to break.

And where might you go shopping for these?

I'm not blind. I have about 20/40 and 20/50 vision, which means I see about half as well as someone with normal vision. Or a touch less.

And what other eye issues do you all see cropping up in a disaster or PAW? Mostly disaster.

Yes, laser eye fixing would be cool. It is not in the cards right now.

Thanks for any responses!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by EBuff75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Mil-spec ballistic eyewear with a strap ought to do it! Keeping them from fogging usually has to do with how closely they fit / airflow around them. I have some goggles for outdoor sports (motorcycle, shooting, etc) which have a foam liner to seal them. Unfortunately, that makes them fog up right away (although they will usually unfog after a bit). If I don't need to seal against the wind, I'll usually just go with my normal sunglasses (Oakley's with prescription polarized lenses).

Here's an article talking about ballistic eyewear. Might be a good place to start: https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 am

EBuff75 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm
Mil-spec ballistic eyewear with a strap ought to do it! Keeping them from fogging usually has to do with how closely they fit / airflow around them. I have some goggles for outdoor sports (motorcycle, shooting, etc) which have a foam liner to seal them. Unfortunately, that makes them fog up right away (although they will usually unfog after a bit). If I don't need to seal against the wind, I'll usually just go with my normal sunglasses (Oakley's with prescription polarized lenses).

Here's an article talking about ballistic eyewear. Might be a good place to start: https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/
Thanks!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am

After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

https://www.esseyepro.com/special_landi ... ageName=rx
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am
After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

Thank you! Surgery is on the table, just far off. We can't swing it financially yet. We have to get a car and a downpayment for a house first.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 am

Those are certainly more important than marginal improvements to your eyesight. I can recall when my vision was 20/40 and I was able to get along without glasses unless doing a vision intensive task like target shooting.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bridgebreaker

Post by Bridgebreaker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am

I would definitely recommend a ballistic set in paratrooper frames. Simple rugged no arms to break.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am

Non tacti-cool suggestions from someone who's been wearing eyeglasses for only 10 years or so after a retinal-detachment.

Anything to make your glasses stop fogging (Yes, they make sprays for that) will remove the UV & anti glare coatings.

Lots of glasses straps brands/fits out there to help keep on your face.

Impact resistant is available and not super expensive. (think safety glasses, not Mil-ballistic)

I ref paintball in the winter for pocket money and I've learned that the right glasses/mask combo will allow you to wear a mask OVER the glasses. may fog at the beginning, but will clear.

ETA:
https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

For anyone who is looking into the surgery but is having difficulty coming up with the cash, check out... http://www.lasikthai.com/cms.php?ref=do:read/id:81

Crunch the numbers for travel costs along with the procedure. It's been around 4-5 years since I had my PRK done there, worked great and zero issues.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Any more advice, please post. I appreciate seeing the different options out there.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Wiley X. My three sons are brutal on eyewear. https://www.wileyx.com/Tactical/products/prescription
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

gary83

Post by gary83 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 am

Check out smithoptics also. They have tactical prescription eyeglasses.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am
Stercutus wrote:

Thank you! Surgery is on the table, just far off. We can't swing it financially yet. We have to get a car and a downpayment for a house first.
OT and assuming you're in the US, but regarding the down payment check out the USDA Rural Development program. The latitude for getting a guaranteed loan is pretty wide, as (IMO, at least) are the location requirements.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:01 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am
Stercutus wrote:

OT and assuming you're in the US, but regarding the down payment check out the USDA Rural Development program. The latitude for getting a guaranteed loan is pretty wide, as (IMO, at least) are the location requirements.
Thank you! I did not know that. When we are ready I'll start checking that out.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am

for eye glasses I hardly ever throw any out, every time I have new glasses I store the old ones amongst my prepping supplies, you never know when you'll need spare ones post SHTF.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 am

grumpyviking wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am
for eye glasses I hardly ever throw any out, every time I have new glasses I store the old ones amongst my prepping supplies, you never know when you'll need spare ones post SHTF.
When I switched to bifocals, I had all my prior frames updated for about $30 each.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Family Prep”