Going to Disney, what do I take?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bostoned
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Going to Disney, what do I take?

Post by Bostoned » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am

Taking the family to Disney in FL next month, what do I take with me?

I will have my maxpedition vulture backpack as my carry-on and edc pack. Basic boo-boo kit, sun screen, bug repellent, water bottle.

What else should I take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Going to Disney, what do I take?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 am

A shit load of cash and patients. Honestly though Disney has lots of stuff there if you need it they probably have it in a stall or under a counter. I'd think just a boo boo kit, along with sun screen, chapstick, some water, you should be fine.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:20 pm

If you are flying there is not much more you can take, other than flashlight. Maybe google "TSA approved EDC."

If driving there are more options, but I think Halfapint nailed it with "cash." Well, money.

If driving I"d suggest stuff like AAA insurance, some tools, food, water, etc.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Bostoned

Post by Bostoned » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Well, we will have checked bags so I can put some other stuff in the checked bag if needed.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Disney and Orlando area attractions are using TSA type scanning and metal detectors IIRC. So bring only that which the TSA would allow.

That and a credit card with a lot of headroom on it. The last time I went it made Tokyo look bargain priced.

Bostoned

Post by Bostoned » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Yeah, we booked the trip through AAA and did everything as a package. I could have bought a nice used car for what the trip is costing. But the kids are little only once.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Bostoned wrote:Yeah, we booked the trip through AAA and did everything as a package. I could have bought a nice used car for what the trip is costing. But the kids are little only once.
Hey, memories don't create themselves. I work for an airline and people fly down to Disneyland like 4 times a year and they are adults. Never understood the appeal but meh. Most of all have fun!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 am

Halfapint wrote:A shit load of cash and patients.
I was literally about to write "money and a good attitude" ahahaha
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 am

Money. Lots of money. The breakfast is like $35 a person. Seriously. It's good but no breakfast is worth $35 IMO. We went last year for a conference. We never set foot in the amusement park itself and it cost nearly $500 for a two day stay. The parking is something like $30 a day in the hotel lot. Keep in mind there is nowhere else to park because Disney owns everything in the area.

Later we found out the conference leaders were comped for rooms and food for booking there. Never again says I.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bostoned

Post by Bostoned » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 pm

We are doing the entire thing all together. Staying there, park passes and dining plan. Like I said, could have bought a nice car for what it costs but we are looking forward to it. Going to be awesome.

I think I’m going to add a flashlight to my list as well.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Just got back yesterday from a family trip there. I don't have kids, but my brother has two, so I tried to do some preps that might be useful for them and stuff that would just be useful in general.

Things that I brought which ended up being useful: notebook/sharpie for character autographs (my brother didn't bring something for my niece to use for autographs from the characters, so I handed them over for her to use), ziploc bags (used for food, a loose tooth that fell out, container for liquids when the ziploc my mother was using tore, etc.), ponchos (we didn't have rain, but my niece is sensitive to being wet, so it was good to have for her on some of the rides), pennies and quarters for the penny smashing machines, and kleenex (my sis-in-law ran out of them for her kids, so I handed over a packet).

I also brough a power bank, but my phone's battery made it through each day, so it wasn't needed. Hand sanitizer is a good one as well, since all the kids touch everything in the park as they walk by. A water bottle is a good call as it costs about $3/bottle to buy it there. There are plenty of drinking fountains, as long as you don't mind hard water (tasted a bit like iron), so I'd just refill the bottle periodically and drink that. There were some aches and pains from the walking (it's sort of start-and-stop walking, due to the crowds), so painkillers were useful to have.

Keep enough empty space in the bag for any souveniers that you buy as they can fill up space pretty quickly!

One thing that I didn't do but that might have been helpful was to download apps to tell wait times and provide maps and schedules. We relied on the printed maps of the parks and then just went to various attractions and decided once we got to them if the wait was acceptable.

If you'll be driving, save the addresses (or send them to your phone) for each of the locations you'll be visiting so that you can easily navigate. My cell phone signal strength was excellent in all of the parks that we visited and some of them offer wi-fi as well, so that was never an issue for me.

It was a lot of being outside, then inside, then outside, then in, throughout the trip. I wear glasses and have prescription sunglsses, so I was going back and forth the whole time. I had a glasses case that I carried in my bag so that I had somewhere to store whichever pair I wasn't actively using.

We lucked out with the weather and had partly cloudy days which limited the amount of sun, but we all slathered on the sunblock just in case. Everyone escaped with minimal to no sunburn!

The airport in Orlando leaves a lot to be desired. On the way out it took about 20 mins for baggage check in and 45 mins to get through security, and that was with an early morning flight! Getting out of the parking structure after we rented a car also took a long time - somewhere around 30 mins, as there was just one exit that they were sending everyone through and there was paperwork to be done at that point.

Overall we had a great time (we also booked through AAA) and it went surprisingly smoothly. I was the driver for the trip and my brother navigated for me. I don't believe we had a single wrong turn the entire time!

One impressive item - Disney's Magic Kingdom is amazing at getting people out of the park and back to their cars at night! We left right after the fireworks show (definitely see it - use the main plaza right in front of the castle and find a spot that isn't obstructed, as they use laser projections onto the castle itself during the show) and were stunned at how quickly they moved huge crowds of people through the monorail back to the parking area and then the trams moved everyone out to the individual lots. It took us something like an hour to get out of the park, to the car, and back to our hotel!

We stayed at Universal and they provide courtesy shuttles to their parks which made those two days really easy. We drove to the Disney parks, but Google was right on for the routing and the signage is pretty good. Parking was $22/day, but it beat the $20 each way per person to catch one of the shuttle busses that go between parks!

If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them. Hope you have fun on your trip!

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm

raptor wrote:Disney and Orlando area attractions are using TSA type scanning and metal detectors IIRC. So bring only that which the TSA would allow.
Forgot to mention, Universal works pretty much like the airport - empty your pockets and put all bags through the scanner, then you go through a metal detector. My dad forgot to leave his pocket knife back at the hotel when we went to Universal and was stopped. What they did was to confiscate it, but gave him a receipt so that he could reclaim it when we left. All he had to do was stop at the security area and give them the receipt. The security officer retrieved it and handed it back with a smile, easy-peasy.

Disney did a hand-inspection of each bag and I believe we walked through a metal detector as well. Bags did not go through a scanner at either of the parks we visited (Magic Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios - formerly Disney-MGM Studio Theme Park).

Both Disney and Universal use entry cards and a finger scan (probably to make sure that you don't hand your card off to someone else for them I use). Remember which finger you used on your initial scan-in! Disney's finger scanners worked MUCH better than the ones at Universal, which frequently required multiple attempts in order for it to work.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 am

Brief your kids on what to do if lost or separated. I was in Sea World once and one of my four kids got a big splinter while running his hand along a wooden rail. In the haste of getting him to the first aid station, one kid got separated.

To his credit, he did stay in one place. Negative points because he laid down behind a fake rock and took a nap.

Sea World staff recommend writing your cell number inside the Tyvek bracelets, that's where they look to contact the lost parent.

Also in the ensuing years, I learned to not yell my kids names, it all sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher in a crowd. I now use the Australian Bush Call of Coo-ee. It is distinctive and carries over the noise of the crowd for at least a quarter mile.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Family Prep”