Child ID bracelets?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Child ID bracelets?

Post by Close_enough » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I have two, unusually large (one is 97% height and weight), usually strong, and very willfull toddlers with absoloutly no fear of anything (including gravity). I'm giving some serious thought to ID bracelets w/names and cell #s for when we go out. There's a whole lot more styles out there then when i was a kid. Any thoughts on the current crop of ID bracelets? Pluses if it's got a buckle that's difficult to undo.

Stercutus

Re: Child ID bracelets?

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:48 pm

How bad are we talking about here? They do make GPS trackers for children.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Trackers are overkill. I'm just looking for a backup in case of "DOGGIE!!! Zoooooooooom!!!" situations.

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Apparently things have changed from the days that my parents put an index card in my pocket with their number on it.

I have a Road ID ( http://www.roadid.com ) on my running shoe. They have several different types - wrist, ankle, dog tag, etc. I'm not sure if any of them would work on a little kid, but you can get just the metal engraved piece to attach in a different way.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 pm

When my kids were small, I remember there was a company that made temporary tattoo IDs for children.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

raider502

Post by raider502 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:10 pm

I second the Road ID option. I have one of their bracket id's that I slipped on my g-shock and I bought one of their dog tag models for my two oldest kids and several parents from my sons Cub Scout pack bought them for their kids. The option that goes on their shoes might not be a bad idea because my kids can't seem to find their dog tags, then again I need gps locators for their shoes sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:29 pm

I tried temporary tatoos with "Frozen" charaters, and DD scrubs them off after only a few hours. I'm not confident that temporary tatoo IDs will last.

The Road ID selection looks very promising. They make a toddler size "slim" ID wristbands and (maybe) shoe IDs with enough space to get all the information on it. I'm not entirely confident that they won't take the bracelets off. But, I've been looking for an excuse to fit the kids with paracord bracelets, and I can use them to check if they will keep the bracelets on.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm

I think the Safey Tat is designed to be more durable than your standard temporary tattoo, but I have never tried them myself, so I couldn't say for certain.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Denis J.

Post by Denis J. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 pm

I like Road IDs too. I have the interactive version of the dog tag style one for my son who is diabetic & the regular one for myself for when I'm out & about without any other ID on me (running, hiking, etc.).

That said, my brother-in-law had a good solution with his young ones when they were out in busy areas ... he just wrote his cell number on their arm with a sharpie. Seemed to be a simple but effective solution.
Victory awaits him who has everything in order — luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck. Roald Amundsen

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Denis J. wrote:I like Road IDs too. I have the interactive version of the dog tag style one for my son who is diabetic & the regular one for myself for when I'm out & about without any other ID on me (running, hiking, etc.)..
I know I'm necroing the thread. But, during our last outing, I realized that while the kids know their names, they don't know how to spell them, or our phone numbers. I liked the idea of RoadID tags, but there's no way an engraved tag will survive for any length of time. I went with embossed dog tags with their name and our cell numbers. It's nearly impossible to scratch up a embossed tag to the point where it's illegible.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 am

Update on the dog tags. They got an IRL test when DD wandered off in the middle of a fire station open house. She found the check in desk and showed them her tag. One phone call later and all was well.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am

One fun tip that I have discovered: If you ever take your kids to public gatherings where there is a possibility of getting separated, write your cell phone number on their arm with a Sharpie.

I haven't needed it yet but I can confirm the number was still legible at the end of the day.
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

CG

Post by CG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am

maze wrote:Don't you guys are worry about the privacy issues in having an ID bracelet or even a GPS with your kids?

Just teach them about situational awareness, how to observe what's going on around them, where they are and how not to get lost, to avoid strangers. Make them know by heart their address and your phone number. If some bad guy get them, the bracelet will only make things worst.

If the kid is too small to teach them that, then you are the one that should be 100% aware and cautious. You are the responsible.

Yes, shit happens. You looked away for 1 second, or you handled her to a friend that is not so cautious, and your kid is gone. Just don't leave them with people you don't trust 100%, and if you do, make sure they understand this is your most precious thing and you are trusting them to take care of them.

If it's still not enough for you, just use a simple bracelet with a phone number and nothing else. No names, no address, no GPS.

But that's my opinion only, as someone interested in security and privacy topics.
Things happen. I got lost as a kid (at Disney World!), and my parents were not bad parents. I've been flustered in a store (as a teen) and had a strange woman trying to help me calm down my baby cousin while his mom was on the next aisle. No, we don't put our full life info on the kids or our addresses. But having a 6-year-old be able to walk up to a security guard and say "I got lost, can you call my mom?" is very useful and reassuring. We would write with a Sharpie up underneath the kids' sleeves - stays there fairly well, out of sight, and the kids were told that if they got lost, you go show your arm to an employee (we did this at places like amusement parks) and ask them to call us. Heck, can you put the shoe RoadIDs on upside down, and train the kids (once they're a bit older) to tell security/employees that the phone number is on there?

How is a phone number a security issue big enough to override the ability to have someone call you to come get your kid if they get lost?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am

I use the American Medical ID products for myself. I have a bracelet and a dog tag with chain.

When I started taking long motorcycle trips, I realized the possibility of having an accident that might separate me from my wallet and subsequent identification documents. Since I have a medication allergy, that could be a big deal.

Those IDs are great, and they make them in many variations that are kid and adult friendly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Situational awareness is great, but planning isn't necessarily prevention. Referring to my above example and extrapolating it to a child with asthma or severe allergies, the reactions caused by these can and often do incapacitate the child. Emergency IDs can be a lifesaver when the individual in need cannot communicate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “Family Prep”