New here, just saying Hi .

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rustystud

New here, just saying Hi .

Post by Rustystud » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 am

Hello all. I already posted over in the bug-out vehicle section, and it was suggested I post here. First off I'm a little older then most here I believe. I'm retired after working in the Heavy Truck/Equipment field. My last 25 years was at the Transit Department up here in Washington State. I still have my class A CDL license but really don't need it anymore. I own a 1984 Chevrolet 1 ton Dually 4X4 . A 2019 Chevrolet 1 ton Crewcab Dually 4X4 , and my trusty 1988 Military M35A2 "Deuce" 2-1/2 ton truck. I used to post over at Steel Soldiers, but have taken a break from them due to "politics" with-in the ranks.
I own over 6 military generators , and have my M105 trailer tricked out as a mobile repair shop.
I served in the US Marines for 4 years reaching the rank of Sergeant. I bought my 5 acres in the early 1980's and built my own house with the help of my father who was a carpenter/contractor . Since we where over 2 miles from the power line we where forced to live "off grid" for over 5 years. Learned quite a bit during that time. That is why I own so many generators !
I became a NIASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) certified Master Mechanic in 1979 after a year in trade school and two years of apprenticeship. They call themselves the "ASE" now. I stayed certified for a few decades but drop it due to the cost of tests and really by that time I didn't need it to prove to anyone I was a mechanic anyway. I'm still a Master Mechanic when it comes to any vehicle older then 2000. I believe once you take a Doctors exam your a DR for life. Why is it any different for mechanics ? Just need to learn the new stuff as it comes out.
Own a "few" rifles and pistols and since the age of 18 considered myself a "Survivalist" . Now I guess they call it being a "prepper" not to be confused with Dr Pepper !
I'm also a PADI certified Diver though it has been a few years due to injuries since I last dove. Living in the Northwest and diving in our colder waters you need to be in pretty good shape. Having your knees blown out makes it kinda rough to swim !
So that's enough about me for now. Hope to be able to post some here among kindred spirits !
Remember , "just because your paranoid doesn't mean that their Not out to get you ! "
Rustystud.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: New here, just saying Hi .

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 am

Welcome! We are glad to have you. You had a lot of good advice on hauling loads. Thank you.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:13 am

Howdy.
Ford F250 super duty flatbed with 1989 bronco front end body. I call him Frank.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 am

You might be surprised how many ages are represented in our forum membership. Sounds like you have lots of knowledge to contribute to the community here. Welcome to Zombie Squad and I look forward to your contributions in the future!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Rustystud wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 am
Hello all. I already posted over in the bug-out vehicle section, and it was suggested I post here. First off I'm a little older then most here I believe. I'm retired after working in the Heavy Truck/Equipment field. My last 25 years was at the Transit Department up here in Washington State. I still have my class A CDL license but really don't need it anymore. I own a 1984 Chevrolet 1 ton Dually 4X4 . A 2019 Chevrolet 1 ton Crewcab Dually 4X4 , and my trusty 1988 Military M35A2 "Deuce" 2-1/2 ton truck. I used to post over at Steel Soldiers, but have taken a break from them due to "politics" with-in the ranks.
I own over 6 military generators , and have my M105 trailer tricked out as a mobile repair shop.
I served in the US Marines for 4 years reaching the rank of Sergeant. I bought my 5 acres in the early 1980's and built my own house with the help of my father who was a carpenter/contractor . Since we where over 2 miles from the power line we where forced to live "off grid" for over 5 years. Learned quite a bit during that time. That is why I own so many generators !
I became a NIASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) certified Master Mechanic in 1979 after a year in trade school and two years of apprenticeship. They call themselves the "ASE" now. I stayed certified for a few decades but drop it due to the cost of tests and really by that time I didn't need it to prove to anyone I was a mechanic anyway. I'm still a Master Mechanic when it comes to any vehicle older then 2000. I believe once you take a Doctors exam your a DR for life. Why is it any different for mechanics ? Just need to learn the new stuff as it comes out.
Own a "few" rifles and pistols and since the age of 18 considered myself a "Survivalist" . Now I guess they call it being a "prepper" not to be confused with Dr Pepper !
I'm also a PADI certified Diver though it has been a few years due to injuries since I last dove. Living in the Northwest and diving in our colder waters you need to be in pretty good shape. Having your knees blown out makes it kinda rough to swim !
So that's enough about me for now. Hope to be able to post some here among kindred spirits !
Remember , "just because your paranoid doesn't mean that their Not out to get you ! "
Rustystud.
I won't say I'm older than you, but Elvis was in the #2 spot on the Billboard Top 40 with "Hound Dog" the week I was born, I distinctly remember my dad talking to my mom about Sputnik, and I'm considered a Vietnam Vet by VVA. You got your ASE cert a bit before me though. Didn't get mine until the 90s and then got sick of stupid shit coming out of Detroit such as water pumps with 7 hours of book labor because they have an unnecessary flange and distributors hid behind tiny doors, sold my shop and moved on to other things.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 pm

I loved the deuce & a 1/2; I remember the first time they let me take one out of the motorpool... Motor Sergeant, sitting on the bench next to me says "pull up next to the curb there" and when I did, he said shut it down, let's head inside the armory. I got out and walked around the front - I must have been eight feet away from the curb. :rofl:

I'm in the South Sound, a military transplant since the 90's. Welcome aboard! :clap:
Tony D Tiger

Rustystud

Post by Rustystud » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:57 am

NT2C wrote:
I won't say I'm older than you, but Elvis was in the #2 spot on the Billboard Top 40 with "Hound Dog" the week I was born, I distinctly remember my dad talking to my mom about Sputnik, and I'm considered a Vietnam Vet by VVA. You got your ASE cert a bit before me though. Didn't get mine until the 90s and then got sick of stupid shit coming out of Detroit such as water pumps with 7 hours of book labor because they have an unnecessary flange and distributors hid behind tiny doors, sold my shop and moved on to other things.
I'm still trying to figure out how to work this site so it's difficult for me to post to individual replies right now. I'll figure it soon I hope !
Anyway I just had to replay to your post. I never made it to Vietnam but my brother did. The real reason I had to respond was your mentioning of all the stupid crap Detroit was making. Man did that ring a bell !!!
Did you ever work on any of those stupid mid-engine cars ! You had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine just to replace the spark plugs !!!!
Now we have those 100,000 mile spark plugs which almost never get changed before you sell the car, and the electronic ignition parts last forever too. I was trying to explain to a young mechanic the process of adjusting "dual point" distributors a few months back. He had this totally blank look on his face ! His only response was "that was high performance back then ? " . Now I don't know how many vehicles even have distributors any more.
I also had this "kid" (about in his thirties) say "what a cool OLD truck" when I was at the parts store with my 1984 chevy. I think I was a bit short with him when I said "what old truck are you talking about ? " . OK maybe I was a bit annoyed about having my 84 being called OLD as that makes me ancient !
I still think of myself as being in my 20's , that is until I look in the mirror ! Scared the piss out of myself last year when I woke up and went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and saw my old father looking back at me ! I thought it was a ghost at first ! My wife thought it was funny.
One of the reasons I decided to post to this site was to be of some help. Sitting at home, maybe working on a project or two gets kinda of old after awhile. You start to feel kind of useless. Like your really just taking up space on this planet and not making any difference. So maybe I can help here and there with some advice . My specialty in mechanics was transmissions and gear work. Then suspension systems. One of my projects right now is converting my Deuces 5 speed manual transmission to an Allison 1000 series 6 speed automatic. I have a machine shop modifying parts right now for a NP205 transfer-case to be able to handle the torque and power of the Multifuel Diesel engine. Once everything is done it should be able to take well over 800 HP and 1500 ft Ibs of torque reliably. There is a company FabWorks that makes Monster gears for the NP205 but I won't need them. I'm having all my gears sent out and freeze hardened. That adds 30% more strength which is well above anything I will need. The housing is being modified though.
Anyway. Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:01 am

Fixed that minor problem quoting NT2C in your last post, Rusty. Yeah, it takes a while to get used to how all of the posting functions work. Just wait until you try to embed a Youtube video. Learning how to do that is a ZS rite of passage. :lol:

BTW, I heartily agree with your sentiment about thinking of yourself as in your 20's until you look in a mirror. I wrote a story once and told it from the perspective of a senior. That's exactly how I had him thinking about his age.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 am

Rustystud wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:57 am

I'm still trying to figure out how to work this site so it's difficult for me to post to individual replies right now. I'll figure it soon I hope !
Anyway I just had to replay to your post. I never made it to Vietnam but my brother did. The real reason I had to respond was your mentioning of all the stupid crap Detroit was making. Man did that ring a bell !!!
Did you ever work on any of those stupid mid-engine cars ! You had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine just to replace the spark plugs !!!!
Now we have those 100,000 mile spark plugs which almost never get changed before you sell the car, and the electronic ignition parts last forever too. I was trying to explain to a young mechanic the process of adjusting "dual point" distributors a few months back. He had this totally blank look on his face ! His only response was "that was high performance back then ? " . Now I don't know how many vehicles even have distributors any more.
I also had this "kid" (about in his thirties) say "what a cool OLD truck" when I was at the parts store with my 1984 chevy. I think I was a bit short with him when I said "what old truck are you talking about ? " . OK maybe I was a bit annoyed about having my 84 being called OLD as that makes me ancient !
I still think of myself as being in my 20's , that is until I look in the mirror ! Scared the piss out of myself last year when I woke up and went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and saw my old father looking back at me ! I thought it was a ghost at first ! My wife thought it was funny.
One of the reasons I decided to post to this site was to be of some help. Sitting at home, maybe working on a project or two gets kinda of old after awhile. You start to feel kind of useless. Like your really just taking up space on this planet and not making any difference. So maybe I can help here and there with some advice . My specialty in mechanics was transmissions and gear work. Then suspension systems. One of my projects right now is converting my Deuces 5 speed manual transmission to an Allison 1000 series 6 speed automatic. I have a machine shop modifying parts right now for a NP205 transfer-case to be able to handle the torque and power of the Multifuel Diesel engine. Once everything is done it should be able to take well over 800 HP and 1500 ft Ibs of torque reliably. There is a company FabWorks that makes Monster gears for the NP205 but I won't need them. I'm having all my gears sent out and freeze hardened. That adds 30% more strength which is well above anything I will need. The housing is being modified though.
Anyway. Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
My last truck was a '99 GMC C3500 C&C with an enclosed utility back that I bought on eBay in '07 with ~64K on it. 6.5 Detroit w/turbo and the good automatic (can't remember which one now) set up as a comms truck to operate in the field up to 3 weeks on its own. I named it Harvey after Jimmy Stewart's character in the movie. (It was big, white, and drank heavily) Only 12.5mpg, but it'd get that 12.5mpg at any speed from 0-60, while towing a '70s Caddy up a mountain. Sideways. (actually did that once with it) Damn I miss that truck but I just had no use for it after my disabilities worsened so I traded it to a young fella starting his own home improvement business for some work on my place.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Rustystud

Post by Rustystud » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:15 am

How do you answer a comment someone makes on your post ? Is there some special button I need to press ? I would love to respond to several comments made on my posts. Is there somewhere here that explains how to navigate around here?
As an aside, I have never made a youtube video. I don't know how. I remember trying to explain how a VHS recorder worked for my father. I told myself I would never get that needy (unable to figure out) when it came to new technology. Now here I am ! Really sucks to grow old !!!! Golden years my ASS !!!! The only thing Golden is the stains in my underware !!!

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:55 am

Rustystud wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:15 am
How do you answer a comment someone makes on your post ? Is there some special button I need to press ? I would love to respond to several comments made on my posts. Is there somewhere here that explains how to navigate around here?
As an aside, I have never made a youtube video. I don't know how. I remember trying to explain how a VHS recorder worked for my father. I told myself I would never get that needy (unable to figure out) when it came to new technology. Now here I am ! Really sucks to grow old !!!! Golden years my ASS !!!! The only thing Golden is the stains in my underware !!!
Click on that quote ["] button directly above the post you want to respond to.

I've never made a Youtube video either. But there's a wealth of good information on that platform (including several by ZS's esteemed and sadly departed Woodswalker). Sometimes it's useful to insert a particular YT video to illustrate a point you're trying to make. For instance to illustrate explaining how a VHS recorder works:

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:29 am

And a picture is worth a thousand words. well...

Hi Rustystud
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Rustystud

Post by Rustystud » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:27 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:55 am
Rustystud wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:15 am
Click on that quote ["] button directly above the post you want to respond to.

I've never made a Youtube video either. But there's a wealth of good information on that platform (including several by ZS's esteemed and sadly departed Woodswalker). Sometimes it's useful to insert a particular YT video to illustrate a point you're trying to make. For instance to illustrate explaining how a VHS recorder works:

Thank you !

Return to “Introductions”