It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:23 pm 

Hello,
I come from Latin America. I personally live in an outstanding place however not all Latin America is as safe as my home Town.

We drive erratically and there are crime plagued areas in some places. I travel all around the world, Latin America included, for work and I have a decent amount of border, hotel and international security experiences to share.

Traveling through bad lands also turn each one of us into ‘smart’ creatures as we call ourselves, those who know how to go by completely unharmed by crime and local danger even when it surrounds us.

Some of the grey man concept I read here is a fair description of the natural caution that we all travelers of this region instinctively develop as we grow.

The world is a dangerous place. Period. There are predators out there. No questions about it. I, maybe not humbly and for that I apologize, am under the impression that while some people who never visited places reported as ‘dangerous’ across Latin America call it shitholes, those living here are better prepared do detect and counter petty threats in a daily basis.

We find most of the international news about our region greatly exaggerated. I understand that they may not be. It is just that we get used to not get stressed about living in ‘survival’ mode making us living proof that humans adapt just fine in any environment.

I hope I can share as much as I am learning from you.

Last edited by casro on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I bet you have some great stories!! If you start a podcast, I'll listen hahaha

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!! It's nice here

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:46 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Welcome! from Chicagoland :D

ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I bet you have some great stories!! If you start a podcast, I'll listen hahaha

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!! It's nice here

lol someday, someday...

The latest stories are all in US though. People tried to ‘rob’ me in Boston, I was forced by tsa to authorize searches in my electronic devices twice already and the worst of the all ... I did experience the famous full pat down search which I definitely do not find normal. I also had airport problems in Canada, Colombia, Portugal and Venezuela though.

However for real danger I could point an experience with color identified taxis in Caracas, meaning they were not allowed in certain gang controlled neighborhoods, attempting to get into these very same areas !!!! , a (probably) drug dealer forcibly insisting that I join his party in Guatemala, a driver attempting to shortcut traffic in Narco’s controlled slums in Medellin, and in a Rio’s favela, another drug dealer forcing me out of party in chihuahua, MX and some thug trying to get me out of my hotel’s room in Monterrey, MX.

Btw, incredibly stupid people tried to mug me in Amsterdam, Buenos Aires and Calgary. That ended badly for all of them :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 pm 

Chicago Zombie wrote:
Welcome! from Chicagoland :D

Thanks a lot man!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 am 

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Welcome. Direct experience is the best teacher. Probably second best is second-hand experience. Since I don't intend to end up in dangerous situations just for practice, I look forward to learning from you.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov