It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 am 

So I'm new, obviously. I'm a microbiologist with a bit of an outdoorsy diy streak. Need to get in shape, which I promised myself I would once I finished the phd but could wait until then. I've got problem feet, probably never will be much of a runner even if I get to peak physical condition, but I see myself more as a person who knows things and can solve problems. To that end, I like to read about skills and simply build the knowledge base, and that's what led me here. (Also intending to teach myself some reasonable vehicle maintenance and repair in the near future.) My "bird flu quarantine" supplies could really use an overhaul.

Oh, and I can brew beer. :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Welcome!! What's good abut this forum is it's fun but also very knowledgeable. There is a good mix of people here from all walks of life. It's good for learning!!

Welcome aboard, make yourself comfy, and enjoy the ride!!!

Edit: Beer is always good. When in doubt: beer.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm 

Welcome to the forum! You sound like a great fit!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm 

Admittedly, I was raised in town, so I feel like I'm lacking in some of those basic living-outdoor skills that the country kids start out with. But I spent enough weeks in summers camping in a tent (with a car nearby), and more recently the camping has gone the route of ditching the need for refrigeration in favor of lightweight, storeable food. I tend to assume that camping gear doubles well for bug-out or bug-in, and gets you used to living without conveniences like electricity.

To that end, MH-type meals are expensive but great for occasional use, but it's harder finding dry food that isn't packed with powdered milk, which is no-go for me (lactose). I'd love leads and ideas that don't rely on dairy. Freeze-dried refried beans and instant rice have been a homemade fallback for basic meals on past outings. I'm of the opinion that dry beans are great but they take a lot of time and therefore fuel. (Despite the dairy thing, I'm not veg*n. Meat is good. But store-bought jerky doesn't last all that long, refrigeration is the first thing to go in any bad situation, and I'm not realistically going to put in huge stores of homemade dry or canned meat anytime soon.)

One thing I will eventually be asking for advice on is generators capable of handling sump pump startup. My quote-and-quote "waterproofed" unfinished concrete basement is a sieve, and relies on two sump pumps in wet weather. In the particularly rainy summer two years ago when we moved in and had a storm-related power failure, the water table turned out to be about 4 inches higher than the basement floor. This more normal and dry summer, I haven't heard the things run in weeks, but the threat of flooding still remains. An early step I'd like to take toward self-sufficiency is mitigating that, either with auxiliary power, or coming up with some alternate way to move water uphill, or finding a way to seal the basement up and deal with hydrostatic pressure on the foundation in another way.

Also related to bugging in: I'm on city water but septic (weirdly, two septic tanks, front and back). Tanks haven't had attention in a long but undetermined amount of time, but seem to be functioning just fine. Probably will pump in the next few years simply because I have no idea what the previous owners have flushed that might be built up and reducing the tank capacity. City keeps talking about hooking up sewer to the neighborhood, but who knows when that will ever happen; I'd really prefer not to have to hook up twice and have to worry about backflow if there's a power failure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 pm 

Welcome and glad to have you! :D

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Welcome! From Chicagoland-north :D

ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Welcome! It sounds like you have a good grasp on your current situation.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Welcome! It sounds like you have a good grasp on your current situation.

Well, I probably overthink more than do. ;) But yeah, my contingency planning looks a lot more like backpacking + whatever shelter and transport I can find than anything else, because that's what I'm familiar with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 pm 

Welcome!