It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: New zombie fighter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:33 pm 
BANNED

Hello. I'm Hoki and I live in Virginia. I've been in the military and have a few handguns and just recently ordered a rifle. I started getting into watching a he walking dead and I was thinking I should get some things in case zombies come so I got a sword that just came in the mail today and omg its so sharp and heavy and the rifle should arrive monday and I also ordered a bunch of parts for it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject: Re: New zombie fighter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm 

Hey Hoki - welcome.

Sounds good.

Don't forget, when the zombies come, the water dries up, the food gets short, there's no electricity, you may have to bug out, you may have to be your own doctor or at least EMT, etc, etc. Oh, and hope you've got an apocalyptic supply of makenoise for those bang sticks. 'How to' is everywhere on this site.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:38 pm 

Boomsticks are good for when things are bad. But, don't forget the rest of prepping
Water - self explanatory
Sanitation and hygiene - Getting sick will seriously impede you
First aid and healthcare - Getting injured, or running out of prescription medications, will seriously impede you
Shelter - warmth/shade/security/etc
Comms and information - Don't get caught by surprise
Food - self explanatory
Evacuation plans - Sometime you have no choice but to get out of harms way. Wildfires, floods, etc.
Appropriate clothing
Appropriate tools - Duct tape, plastic sheeting, plywood, voltage detector pen, multi-tool, flashlight, extra batteries for everything
Documents/information security/recovery.
Amusement - You're going to be spending a lot of time waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:48 pm 
BANNED

WELL i HAVE MREs and water and water filer thingys and medical kits and whatnots I have a full supply of camping equipment too if I can't be in a house or something and also have a lot of 5.11 clothing and also my old military uniforms too. If it was really a big disaster happening I'm sure there will be plenty of shelters or abandoned building I can go in and I'm sure I can find food and supplies as I go out and about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:14 pm 

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

You are now hitting on some of our favorite subjects! How do you survive a ZPAW (zombie post apocalyptic world)?

We don't usually talk about looting around here. Or trespassing. Or other stuff that is illegal. Unless we are talking about how to stop people who do that stuff. Basically, most of us here figure the rule of law (ROL) will be in effect in some way or another no matter what disaster hits. Maybe the US Federal government will be working in a ZPAW. Maybe it will be "King Bubba and his prison buddies" who are ruling an area and enforcing laws. The "who" does not matter. Well, Bubba will probably make sucky laws, but the point is most of us think it is better to know who is making laws and know what those laws are, and follow them, mostly. It is a good idea to stay out of trouble with people and groups who are bigger and meaner than you are.

Also, just something people have seen after different weather disasters in the US, is crimes get talked about and then investigated after the disaster is over. Even on the international scene, in Slovakia, Chile, and in Liberia and Sierra Leone, people who do nasty stuff get remembered and later held accountable, even 30+ years later.

Why do I say all this? Doing things like "looting abandoned houses" might seem like a good idea in a ZPAW, but doing that in other disasters can get you a world of hurt. Even in an actual ZPAW you might be running into King Bubba and crew, and pissing them off. So something we try to do is find ways to be prepared and self-sufficient and not have to break laws, loot, or rob people. Especially robbing people, that is something that has been talked about in a lot of zombie discussions but real world experience says people who do that get shot. Maybe not at first, but every robbery is a roll of the dice and eventually the robber rolls wrong and ends up dead. There are a lot of YouTube videos where that happens.

Plus, I figure in a ZPAW most of the other survivors will eat all the food before I get there anyway. And I am worried survivors will burn down buildings trying to stay warm or ward off zombies. I would want at least a week of MREs and other medical stuff. And a place to poop. That way I could be ready for most disasters like tornadoes or hurricanes or floods. But I"d also be ready for some zombies too :D

I am working on being ready in every area for at least 2 weeks, and I think most of the people here are ready for that much of a wait in every area of being prepared. Really, I"m probably good for a month, but I don't quite know. But the thing I have learned is the only thing I can count on is the stuff I have *right now.* I can't count on getting more later, or being faster at getting stuff than the other guy, or being more lucky, or smarter, or any of that. The only thing that I can cont on is what I have now, with me, and really, even that can disappear. It could be burned up, flooded, or stolen. So I try to have skills and only need a few tools and then I try to have some more tools to make life a little easier if I have to fight zombies or live in a ZPAW.

I don't know, I"m starting to talk too much. But I thought I'd catch you up on some of what we have talked about and give some of my thoughts on stuff.

See ya around! Glad to have ya!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm 
BANNED

are you saying that if a zombie is chasing you and you are next to a closed gun shop, you won't break in get some weapons to clobber the zombies? That isn't trespassing or looting when there are zombies involved it's just everyone trying to use every resource available for human survival. I'm only talking about a zombie situation, no one is gonna think because I am saying this I'm saying it's ok go to loot a store and run off with TVs and radios or whatever during a disaster.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm 

Hokicake wrote:
are you saying that if a zombie is chasing you and you are next to a closed gun shop, you won't break in get some weapons to clobber the zombies? That isn't trespassing or looting when there are zombies involved it's just everyone trying to use every resource available for human survival. I'm only talking about a zombie situation, no one is gonna think because I am saying this I'm saying it's ok go to loot a store and run off with TVs and radios or whatever during a disaster.

Hi, Hoki! Welcome to ZS! And thanks for your service- you'll find lots of veterans in our ranks here.

As far as what you said above- actually this is exactly what one of our friendly gestapos mod(erator)s would think if they wandered into this thread.

This is something that everyone who stumbles into ZS encounters- so let me be clear, we don't talk about breaking the law. Period.

Now if and when the time comes I, you, all of us will use the resources around us to survive. But we prep to limit the amount of law breaking we will have to do to survive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 pm 
BANNED

what bothers me more is the fact that my other thread has more than 60 views and only 1 comment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm 

Hokicake wrote:

Right. Cuz in a ZPAW, there won't be any electricity. :mrgreen:

I"m probably being too literal, but all the gun stores I know have bars and heavy locks. If for some reason a store is not already looted in a ZPAW, I don't believe my powers will get me in there. I"ll keep running.

Goodness, I hope that never happens.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 pm 

Hokicake wrote:
what bothers me more is the fact that my other thread has more than 60 views and only 1 comment.

Awww dude. That is forums. You get 300 views and like 2 comments. Maybe. That happens all the time. That is people checking things out, reading, checking back, thinking, reading, and maybe posting something in a month. That is how things work. It's not facebook. It's more complicated and interesting. And people put more thought into what they say, which results in much better quality. That is another reason for 60 views and 1 comment. Most of us hold back till we feel we have something worth saying. I put my foot forward more than most, but that is me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 am 

Welcome aboard miss.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Welcome! :D

ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:05 pm 

Welcome. Kick back and stay a while. :clap:

Youll learn lots.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:35 pm 

Welcome! Most of us (ok well myself) started with zombies. But now have moved to natural and financial disasters. The Water, beans, bills, and bandaids aren't nearly as cool as bullets, but they will save your hide in 99% of disasters better than guns/swords.

Hope you stick around, I've learned more than I can ever hope to give back from this site!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hokicake wrote:

Ughh... I feel the same way about my instagram account... come on people, gimme them likes on my selfies...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:14 pm 

Welcome.

As others have said, most of us prep for more than zombies. We want to be ready for whatever real life throws at us, whether weather, natural disasters, civil disruptions, etc.

Plus, if you are literally running for your life, you won't have time to stop and break into a typically well-secured gun shop and then break into their well-secured displays, find the ammo, load, and then fight (you'd be dead long before you managed all of that). So, the no law breaking rule here makes sense. If you are well-prepared, you won't have to count on running past an unusually low security gun shop with loaded guns in easy reach.

Guns are nice, but my focus is on food, water, hygiene, first aid, meds, energy and shelter, both for bug-in and bug-out scenarios. My DH is more of the gun guru. I focus on the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:36 pm 

Just to be clear, we're all aware there's no such thing as zombies....rather, they are a metaphor for other bad things that might happen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 pm 
BANNED

There's no such thing YET.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hokicake wrote:
There's no such thing YET.

Really, have you been to a local shopping mall lately? :crazy:

The reason for the "no lawbreaking suggestion" is that ZS is was (and may be again) a 501c3 charity, and as such, needs to look prim and proper for the nice people that handle the financials and the legal forms. Having threads such as "12 steps to bathtub napalm" and "how to defeat a deadbolt in 30 seconds" doesn't inspire confidence that we are a legitimate organization. So.. the friendly gestaposerr.. mods, :awesome: come down heavy on it if we dont.

As stated earlier, the odds of a disaster that happens truly WROL (without rule of law) are slim. Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, etc... Much disaster, Much law. I know yearsdecades ago when Hugo hit my local area, one of our police chiefs threatened to hang any looter he found...

As much fun as it is to prepare for a Zombie attack. The walking dead are pretty far down the list of disasters we're likely to encounter. Besides, If I'm prepared for a zombie attack, I'm certainly ready for a hurricane... Now I cant say much, as I do have a 12g shell loaded with silver dimes, should a lycan ever try to break in the house...

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:20 pm 
BANNED

well i'm here for one thing only and that's all about zombies. If i wanted to discuss prep for normal disasters I wouldn't have joined the forum called zombie squad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 pm 

Do you know something that we should know? Just kidding there are plenty of reasons to get into prepping .The dollar is the most unstable its ever been , the national debt is in the TRILLIONs of dollars. This country and the world are like a house of cards that we could wake up one morning and find it fallen. I would suggest you start stocking up on food. Every time you go to the store spend at least 5 bucks on canned goods. Once you get a couple months of food on hand then maybe you can start putting together your bug out bag if you think you will need one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:42 pm 

Like was said above, if you are prepared for zombies, you are already prepared for the rest of it. Like I said earlier, I started with preparing for wars and zombies, and eventually moved to other stuff too. It's all the same really. Except being prepared for unemployment, that is a bit different.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Hokicake wrote:
well i'm here for one thing only and that's all about zombies. If i wanted to discuss prep for normal disasters I wouldn't have joined the forum called zombie squad.

I'll address what everyone else has been dancing around responding to your posts, Hoki. We use "zombies" as a metaphor for more likely disaster scenarios that entail planning, preparation and self sufficiency. Everything from a serious winter storm to a major socio-econonomic upheaval.

Don't get us wrong. We seriously love the idea of zombies. Undead, flesh eating ghouls devouring society and leaving only the well-prepared and self sufficient to survive. Creatures who need to be put down with extreme prejudice with a well-placed crossbow bolt or .22 round (a versatile and effective round and don't let anyone tell you otherwise). Just understand that on some level we take the idea of the walking dead in a tongue and cheek way, but leverage that notion to justify preparing for life's somewhat more likely contingencies. Which means what in addition to personal security with firearms, we also discuss how to wash your clothes in the absence of electricity, or grow and store food in a world without supermarkets.

Don't get me wrong: I'll gladly debate Daryl's plot armor on the Walking Dead and how unbelievably cool Carol is on that show. I'll also happily discuss with you the merits of the Wylde-chambered stainless steel barrel I selected for my home-built AR-15, or my selection of a Kawasaki KLR650 as a bug out vehicle for the coming post apocalyptic world. Nor will I discourage you from reading my fanciful zombie story.

Just understand that Zombie Squad is far more than meets the eye. We are a legitimate disaster preparation forum disguised as a zombie enthusiast site because we recognize the need to prepare for disasters and, well frankly, we're crazy about zombies.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
Hokicake wrote:

I'll address what everyone else has been dancing around responding to your posts, Hoki. We use "zombies" as a metaphor for more likely disaster scenarios that entail planning, preparation and self sufficiency. Everything from a serious winter storm to a major socio-econonomic upheaval. Don't get us wrong. We seriously love the idea of zombies. Undead, flesh eating ghouls devouring society and leaving only the well-prepared and self sufficient to survive. Who need to be put down with extreme prejudice with a well-placed crossbow bolt or .22 round (a veristile and effective round and don't let anyone tell you otherwise). Just understand that on some level we take the idea of the walking dead in a tongue and cheek way, and leverage that notion to justify preparing for life's somewhat more likely contingencies. Don't get me wrong: I'll gladly debate Daryl's plot armor on the Walking Dead and how unbelievably cool Carol is on that show. I'll also happily discuss with you the merits of the Wylde-chambered stainless steel barrel I selected for my home-built AR-15, or my selection of a Kawasaki KLR650 as a bug out vehicle for the coming post apocalyptic world. Nor will I discourage you from reading my fanciful zombie story.

Just understand that Zombie Squad is far more than meets the eye. We are a legitimate disaster preparation forum disguised as a zombie enthusiast site because we recognize the need to prepare for disasters and, well frankly, we're crazy about zombies.

Well said, sir!

Me being (one of) the resident ass-hole(s)- I was about to post a rant about reality vs. fantasy and encourage Hoki to rejoin the real world.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next