Greetings from Central Florida

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cornnuggets

Greetings from Central Florida

Post by Cornnuggets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Greetings everyone!

Me and my wife are located in Central(ish) Florida, outside of Lakeland. With the looming threat of Hurricane Dorian, we are both incredibly frustrated by our own helplessness and lack of preparations. We have decided that we will never let ourselves be in this vulnerable position again.

I found this forum years ago, and although I found it interesting, I never got involved and never really learned anything.

Hopefully, I can learn and start preparing, so the next time a storm threatens us, we will be confident and ready for whatever action we take.

Thanks!

Stercutus

Re: Greetings from Central Florida

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome and please browse the forums for tips on hurricane preparedness, there is a lot of good information in there.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Welcome! Good to have you! And feel free to share all your experiences. We are always learning, both from successes and from mistakes.

I wish you the best with whatever comes soon.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Good luck to you and your family.
What have you done to prepare for this storm.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Cornnuggets

Post by Cornnuggets » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Luckily Dorian didn't hit us, but our preparations for the hurricane were pathetic.
We filled up a few different containers with water, had purchased 3 gallons of water, filled our vehicle gas tanks, and had enough non-perishable foods for a week.

Overall, I noted that:
-We did not have enough water to last a week, according to the 1-gallon/person/day rule
-Most of the non-perishable food was canned, and we don't have a manual can opener or a way to warm up the food if the power was out (yummy delicious cold spaghetti-os and cold green beans)
-Other than bandaids and some basic OTC medication, we do not have first aid supplies
-If we had to evacuate, we had no plan on where to go, and I cant imagine how stressful it would've been trying to round up all of our important documents and things that cant be replaced, along with clothes and 2 animals

Overall, this hurricane was a huge wake-up call for me and my wife, and now that I can look back on everything, its much easier to see the glaring lack of preparations we have. The feeling of helplessness is haunting and I refuse to let it happen again.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Cornnuggets wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Luckily Dorian didn't hit us, but our preparations for the hurricane were pathetic.
We filled up a few different containers with water, had purchased 3 gallons of water, filled our vehicle gas tanks, and had enough non-perishable foods for a week.

Overall, I noted that:
-We did not have enough water to last a week, according to the 1-gallon/person/day rule
-Most of the non-perishable food was canned, and we don't have a manual can opener or a way to warm up the food if the power was out (yummy delicious cold spaghetti-os and cold green beans)
-Other than bandaids and some basic OTC medication, we do not have first aid supplies
-If we had to evacuate, we had no plan on where to go, and I cant imagine how stressful it would've been trying to round up all of our important documents and things that cant be replaced, along with clothes and 2 animals

Overall, this hurricane was a huge wake-up call for me and my wife, and now that I can look back on everything, its much easier to see the glaring lack of preparations we have. The feeling of helplessness is haunting and I refuse to let it happen again.
Well , good for you. That you weren't caught in a disaster with so few preps in place. But even more so, That you plan to do things about that lack of preparations. A little each week. Write down a list of things to accomplish. And then try to check something off it every week. Good reads

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5d2fd6e0a3

And since your primary threat will be tropical storms. If you haven't read this , you should. Just for the prepping impetus
viewtopic.php?t=16627
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Introductions”