Hi guys, i have a question, please help me

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

morvarid

Hi guys, i have a question, please help me

Post by morvarid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 am

I just got to Iowa so I figured now is the time to join ZS, seeing as how I'm in the most dangerous state in the country.

My purpose here?
-I hope to learn a little about cold weather preps, esp car kits to stay warm if snowed in.

-Offering up any "good" advice I can.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Hi guys, i have a question, please help me

Post by NT2C » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 am

Greetings and welcome!

It's customary to tell a little about yourself in introduction threads, though not required. We want you to feel comfortable here and to fit in well with our community. Please familiarize yourself with our rules and, should you have any questions about the site, you are always welcome to reach out to any member of the moderation team for answers and guidance.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 am

Hey, Welcome!!!

I've lived in Indiana (Iowa's twin) and Alaska at times... and as you can tell by my name I love vehicle based preps/lifestyles as well as cold weather.

So feel free to scroll as there are plenty of dedicated BOV threads as well as info peppered in other threads.

But, with traffic being more intimate as of late, I wouldn't mind if you started a fresh and new thread on your ideas for vehicle preps. I always say I wanna document my out kits but I always put it off and don't know any new picture sharing sites.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Ok. So let's get your question answered.

Where did you come from? That will help us talk about what you might need. Knowing your profession might help too. I don't know.

Iowa can have temps in the winter down to -30F or sometimes -60F. This is with windchill, though I've been there when it was -20F and I think -30F actual. If this happens you will hear the radio announcing that people should stay home and not go out as emergency vehicles may not be able to get to you.

Stay home. Or stay at work. Don't venture out in that.

So what do you need in your car? Well, assess the real threat: Winter temps.

What are the solutions? sleeping bags, sleeping pads with high R values, good winter boots. Probably keep some extra winter clothes in there. Clothes you can roll around in snow and mud with and not feel bad. Put some candles, matches, and a lighter in there. Tea candles should be fine, but go with a 100 hour candle or beeswax candles if you prefer. You will likely need to crack your window a bit for ventilation. Or break a seal some place. Matches have the charming habit of lighting when a lighter fails to light. Which can happen when temps are below 20F (depends on how it is stored). OH! Also, hand warmers and foot warmers are fantastic flameless ways to stay warm. Wrapping a space blanket around a regular sleeping bag and throwing some heaters in there is a great way to try and survive some hours in nasty cold.

You will want to stay with the vehicle if you can. It is easier to find a vehicle than a person. Especially if that person decides NOT to walk 3-8 miles to the nearest house to seek shelter and call for help, instead digging a snow cave and trapping rabbits and squirrels for sustenance.

Your cell phone will be your best friend. Check your carrier's coverage this summer and see where the dead spots are. One carrier did great and another did not fair so well. Valleys are murder on cell coverage, and there are a lot of those in the North East (really, all along the Mississippi river). Carry a spare battery and/or an extra phone.

If you do have to ditch the car a good pair of boots and Carhart or similar coveralls will be life savers. Maybe a snowmobile suit. That way it does not matter if you are in fancy work clothes or whatever, you have a good warm option. If it is below 0F and at night I would also have a face mask and goggles. And gloves of course. Snow mobile mittens or similar.

Frostbite is no joke and happens even to experienced outdoors men. If your family is in the car you will want to take extra precautions and make sure they have gear to stay warm. Having extra hand and foot warmers to put in your boots and mittens will be very useful. Having wool socks or smartwool socks is useful. The utility is that your feet sweat and wool stays somewhat warm even when wet. But dampness will lead to frostbite anyway, given enough time. When it is cold, it just sucks and you want to make sure you are dressed right. Not just your feet, but your whole body. It is all one package.

Just my $.05.

Also, winter temps have been more mild lately than 20 years ago. But even a few years ago North East Iowa got hit with some pretty cold weather. I tested my AK in -20F temps and learned which lubricants worked well and which did not.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 am

At least you have a lot of time to get ready for winter. I see Iowa ranked as 11th safest in US. There are lots of threads on car kits in contingency planning and vehicle forums.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am

Welcome! I'm not a car person (although one of my goals is to learn the basic car maintenance no one would teach me growing up) so I can't really help answer your question. What I can say is that there are a lot of great people here knowledgeable about a wide variety of things who I'm sure can share thoughts/advisment. There is also a wealth of information in old threads available through the search function. Enjoy the forums and hope you find what you are looking for!
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Well, since OP hasn't returned, I'm wondering if he got snowed in...

Basic advice for any snow vehicle prep:

-Tires. Get good ones. I can give some decent recommendations depending on vehicle. If you don't have 4x4 or AWD get winter tires, even then seriously consider them. Regardless, tires you drive in snow should have the "mountain snowflake" cert (doesn't mean that the brand logos them M+S necessarily). For example, I run General Grabber AT2 on my Jeep all year round. I air them down in the winter into the 20's. Yes it's an all terrain, but they are certified, I have 4x4 (helps you go and turn, little help in stopping) and I can drive not like a clown.

-Fluids. Oil, antifreeze, washer fluid. Top them off and keep extra in the trunk.

-Gasoline. My biggest pet-peeve is letting a tank get below half in the winter. Always leave yourself half a tank of gas in case of emergency.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:10 pm
I run General Grabber AT2 on my Jeep all year round. I air them down in the winter into the 20's. Yes it's an all terrain, but they are certified, I have 4x4 (helps you go and turn, little help in stopping) and I can drive not like a clown.
Excellent choice for a winter tire on any vehicle that can fit them. I'm on my second set on my '97 Dakota 4x4. Got 72k miles from the first set and one was still more than good enough to swap in as a newer spare. They give excellent traction in deep snow, mud, etc. Not great on ice but adequate, there are winter-specific tires that would be better choices if that's a regular winter problem someone faces, but good enough, especially if studded. I've driven off-road in 24" of powder with them and never felt a need to shift into 4x4, and I've taken them through some solid mud construction sites that some of our heavy equipment had trouble with. I'd have them on every vehicle we own if I could get them in the required sizes and load ranges. They will cost you a MPG penalty though. Our Dakota lost 2mpg when we put them on, but the "go anywhere" capability they add makes them worth it IMHO.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Funny the "please help me threads" seem to be the new spam. A couple of years ago I was politely told to stuff it when recommending limiting posts for new members. Now seems to be the standard.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Funny the "please help me threads" seem to be the new spam. A couple of years ago I was politely told to stuff it when recommending limiting posts for new members. Now seems to be the standard.
I'll just say that this has not gone unnoticed by the mods, and that we currently would prefer not to turn away any potential new member, so unless there's an outright violation of our rules or blatant spamming we would prefer not to lock and remove any threads if we can help it.

Return to “Introductions”