Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm 

I'm looking for a new under-quilt for my HH. The two I'm looking at are the one from Hennessy and the lost river from AHE
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps ... ow/1015891
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/prod ... _system_1/
Any experience with either one? I didn't think open cell foam was all that good an insulator, but I do like the cover on the HH. Also, can the cover be used alone on the super shelter in warmer months?
Rarely encounter sub freezing temps, but I can add a poncho liner to either one if it is going to be cold like it was on my trip last week. I'm also open to other suggestions in the $150 price range.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:02 pm 

I know it is not on your list, but the Jacks R Better Nest is the best underquilt I have used with a Hennessy Hammock. I've used several partial quilts, and the HH under cover and OCF combo, and none of them fit as well as the JRB Nest. The way that the Nest mates to the velcro bottom opening, and the tabs that join to the tie outs make it a perfect fit that stays put (a very important feature in a HH since it is difficult to adjust the quilt from inside the hammock).

-Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:41 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have the HH super shelter. I just use the entire thing during the warmer months but maybe down south this could be an issue. The undercover alone could be used to keep the bugs away. During winter it needs a poncho liner or something to help. The sil undercover is a great windbreak.

Jacks R Better makes some good stuff so maybe cosider them as well.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:20 am 

Arrowhead or Hammock gear would be my 1st choices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am 

Good Lord, some of those are pretty expensive. Anybody know of a pattern for one? Might try to make one out of fleece or an old poncho liner or two. Could anyone who has one just take a couple of good pictures of one with demnsions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:03 pm 

It is pretty easy to make one out of a ponch liner. I have one I'm using now but the insulation I had laying around for it doesn't compress and is heavy as fuck. For summer a poncho liner is plenty.
ETA:
http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.p ... ducts_id=8
Also found this one, if anyone know anything about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 pm 

Im a JRB *Jack R better fan. I have the nest and hudson river top quilt. I have pushed it to 25* just fine. Very happy with my purchase. Yes its expensive, but DAM is it nice. Been debating sending one of my hammocks off for the 2QZQ for a mod4 upgrade, but I will keep the bottom entry, once you get use to it, its nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 pm 

Last summer, I used a ponch liner. worked great. I do, however have the side zip Hennessy. This winter I made my own down UQ for fall/winter. Really wasn't that difficult, just took my time.

If you head to hammock forums under the D.I.Y. section there are plans and patterns and plenty of how tos.