Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

I've been compiling average weights of ammunition cartridges over the last few weeks and am reaching out to any in the community who might help me flesh out the list, so if you're interested in contributing grab a digital scale and post the weights of any single cartridges of your ammunition.
Obviously the more specific you can be about things like bullet grain weight, brand, casing material, the better; but as long as you make mention what the basic casing material is made of (brass/steel/etc) and the general type of bullet (FMJ/HP/SP/Lead/Trap/Buck/Slug/etc) it's the most I can ask for a table of averages.

Here's mine:
(FYI - I only weighed round nose Rimfire, FMJ Centerfire, and Trap Loads for shotgun; though if there is interest I can weigh cartridges with different bullet types like HP and SP for the calibers that I have on hand to weigh and either expend this table or create a new set of tables for.)
einherjrar wrote:
Disclaimer: These are taken from a more or less random assortment of ammunition I had laying around, and while useful as rough estimates should not be taken as canon. Obviously cartridges with a heavier or lighter grain bullet or using non-brass casing material will obviously report in at slightly different weights, but this should still a present a fair comparison of relative weights.

Recorded weight (Raw Data):
.177 Caliber BB = 0.01 oz (0.2 grams) (<----- I need to reweigh the .177 BB's; I do not think I got a very accurate reading)
.22 SH (lead) = 0.06 oz (1.6 grams)
.22 LR (lead) = 0.12 oz (3.3 grams)

9mm Para (FMJ) = 0.41 oz (11.6 grams)
.45 ACP (FMJ) = 0.74 oz (20.9 grams)

.223 (FMJ) = 0.40 oz (11.3 grams)
.30 Carb (FMJ) = 0.46 oz (12.8 grams)
.308 (FMJ) = 0.86 oz (24.6 grams)
30.06 (FMJ) = 0.91 oz (25.8 grams)

12 Gauge 2&3/4" (trap load) = 1.6 oz (46.1 grams)

*FYI* - All cartridges weighed had brass (not steel) casings, except for the shotgun shell (paper hull, low brass).

I thought these were some interesting figures at least.
I know at least that I was surprised that .30 Carbine weighed more than .223...

The more information everyone can provide the better the averages will turn out.

Post the weights of any or all of your own personal stockpile of ammunition calibers, and feel free to post your own weight recordings of any caliber already posted. Duplicate entries for cartridge weights will be recorded into the raw data and help provide more accurate weight averages per caliber.

If there is interest from the community to contribute to this academic exercise, I will record those submissions and update this post and the listed weight averages by caliber as necessary so long as there is interest.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

Last edited by Einher on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

POST RESERVED FOR RAW DATA:
A.C.E. wrote:
Fiocchi 9 LUGER 115gr. 9mm. FMJ 11,71g. Weighed 10, none deviated more than 0,02g.
Magtech 9B 124gr. 9mm. FMJ 12,43g. +/- 0,02g Weighed 5.
Magtech 9C 115gr. 9mm. JHP Between 11,80 and 12,02g. Weighed 7, all from the same box.
Magtech 9F 95gr. 9mm. JSP Between 10,57 and 10,69g. Weighed 5, from the same box.
Swedish m/39, Old as f*ck military ammo (from the 70s probably), 9mm. FMJ, unknown bullet weight. 11,7 +/- 0,04g.
Swedish m/39b, 9mm. steeljacketed AP rounds (military stuff). Between 11,0 and 11,12g. Weighed 6, all I had.

Raw data for now, expanded 9mm tables tommorow.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

Last edited by Einher on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:43 am 

I just wanted to mention that you don't need a super-high-tech or uber-precise scale to get an accurate average weight.

1) Zero your scale

2) Weigh 10, 20, 50, or however many rounds you feel comfortable placing stablely on the tray.

3) Divide the total weight by the quantity. This will give a more precise average weight than the scale may be capable of registering when a single round is weighed.

4) Check that the scale returns to zero after the objects are removed. Give it a moment to fully decompress.

5) Check the results by running the same process again with a different quantity. Results may not be absolutely identical, but they should be very close.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm 

Fiocchi 9 LUGER 115gr. 9mm. FMJ 11,71g. Weighed 10, none deviated more than 0,02g.
Magtech 9C 115gr. 9mm. JHP Between 11,80 and 12,02g. Weighed 7, all from the same box.
Magtech 9F 95gr. 9mm. JSP Between 10,57 and 10,69g. Weighed 5, from the same box.
Swedish m/39, Old as f*ck military ammo (from the 70s probably), 9mm. FMJ, unknown bullet weight. 11,7 +/- 0,04g.
Swedish m/39b, 9mm. steeljacketed AP rounds (military stuff). Between 11,0 and 11,12g. Weighed 6, all I had.

EDIT: All brass casings. All factory loads.

ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:
I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Last edited by A.C.E. on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 am 

A.C.E. wrote:

That is quite a spread of 9mm. I thank you kindly for your contribution.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just a thought, the bullet is measured in grains, the powder is measured in grains, I see cases measured in grains, never seen a primer measured but why not. There are 7000 grains to the pound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Phoenix David wrote:
Just a thought, the bullet is measured in grains, the powder is measured in grains, I see cases measured in grains, never seen a primer measured but why not. There are 7000 grains to the pound

For me it's simply that my scale shows grams. The bullet wieght was printed on the boxes.

ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:
I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 pm 

Phoenix David wrote:

My own cheap-o $10 digital scale (which does at least give fairly accurate readings) isn't very fancy and sadly doesn't display grains. I can get ounces or grams out of it.

Of course, if anyone wants to post the total grain weight of their cartridges, they are free to do so; but I would of course prefer the more conventional weight amounts (ounces/grams/both) be included as well.