It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stealth Weapon?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:34 am 

You have to get through an area sprinkled with the undead. You have to collect things to continue to survive. Also, you may have to take out a few dead heads along the way. What weapon do you use to keep the walkers from paying attention to you while you take out some of their buddies?
MINE! The Cobra Self-Cocking 80lb Crossbow pistol. Small, Portable, powerful, quieter than a pistol Ammo reusable.

Post subject: Re: Stealth Weapon?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:02 am 

DOGPILE!

Seriously though I would not count on any of the bolt to be reusable after striking a living target. Also while this may week silly th OSS did use similar weapons to eliminate sentries during WWII.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:31 am 

After having used one of these I wouldn't count on it to do anything. For a stealth weapon you are probably better of using a proper crossbow or bow. These pistol crossbows aren't made very well and once they break it's not exactly like you can field repair them easily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

My wife and I each have a hunting-type compound bow. I've also got some recurves and longbows and such. But the compounds would be our go-to, once we get some good arrows and some practice in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm 

A slightly different take, I tend to look at a stealth weapon as one that I can pass off in public without anyone having an issue. Mine is an Apocalyspork (that's what the maker calls it), a thick piece of aircraft titanium. Looks a bit odd but is seen as harmless when you're using it with ramen noodles at lunch. Also quite a bit longer than any folder for pokey-work. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love mine.

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:48 pm 

necrosapien87 wrote:
You have to get through an area sprinkled with the undead. You have to collect things to continue to survive. Also, you may have to take out a few dead heads along the way. What weapon do you use to keep the walkers from paying attention to you while you take out some of their buddies?
MINE! The Cobra Self-Cocking 80lb Crossbow pistol. Small, Portable, powerful, quieter than a pistol Ammo reusable.

necrosapien, I would say you should get rid of it ASAP. I actually bought that exact model years ago for like 30 bucks out of curiosity. It is an unsafe and dangerous POS, misfired half the time, and flew in random directions when it did fire. 2 days after I got it, my buddy picked it up and dry fired it (a big no no of course) and it basically exploded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

No ammo to use/lose, does double duty, legal to carry if stopped (if law still abounds) and proven against wood and coconuts.

Or,

Ignore the airsoft, I couldn't find a suitable photo. My old man has an SW5 (semi-auto copy of MP5) with an AAC can. Subsonic ammo is quiet enough not to "wake the dead." Probably makes less noise that a screaming zed with a crossbolt lodged in its skull.

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 pm 

res1cue wrote:
necrosapien87 wrote:

necrosapien, I would say you should get rid of it ASAP. I actually bought that exact model years ago for like 30 bucks out of curiosity. It is an unsafe and dangerous POS, misfired half the time, and flew in random directions when it did fire. 2 days after I got it, my buddy picked it up and dry fired it (a big no no of course) and it basically exploded.

Was he dry-firing? I actually have the same thing too, I bought it for an ex GF who went psycho. I think I'm lucky niether of us ever bothered to string it. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm 

Crossbows are for paraplegics and children. That one is only for children - whose parents don't like very much.

I like the shovel, very effective and you can take a head off with it or at least seriously incapacitate. I think a hammer or my favorite, a demo tool would be very handy. I see myself avoiding as much conflict as possible with the undead. If I'm going toe to toe, I don't need to reload a child's toy and pray it works. I'd prefer to "swing away" and let the rage do the work.

DO YOU CARRY FIRE? http://forum.CARRYFIRE.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 pm 

Hate to bust up the pistol xbow hate-ring here, but I bought one of these for ten bucks offa budk:
http://budk.com/Outdoor-Sports/Pistol-Grip-Crossbow
I bought it for my little sister, had it shipped to her back home. It was an instant family favorite. I finally got a chance to use it recently. Best ten dollar money waster, ever. Decently accurate, stupid powerful, and the construction is decent enough. That said it is a toy, however on the same level that bb guns are "toys". It would kill a man easy.

Oddly enough my mother didn't have a discussion with me about buying deadly weapons for my sister on her 13th birthday :lol:

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:42 pm 

Supressed Ruger 10/22 or Glock 19

Edit.. Prolly not in the vein of the thread.

Bat / Machette / Bow something along those lines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 am 

I had a lot of fun with my pistol crossbow as a kid. Musta worn out half a dozen bowstrings on that thing. The pistol crossbows generally don't throw enough weight to penetrate adequately against human or zombie threats, particularly to the skull. Relegate it to a tertiary small game getter if you feel you must have one, but don't rely on it to stop a human threat.

One of our guys has a felony record and has a serious crossbow as his bugout option. A Horton I believe, although I could be wrong. It is set up kind of like an M4gery and can even mount some of the same accessories.

If you are choosing a crossbow as your weapon platform for whatever reason, pay attention to your points-a broad wound channel is most desirable and they make a lot of points designed to accomplish this. Also, it may take some creativity to pack your bolts; to my knowledge no one makes a MOLLE quiver although the market is simply dying for one. :mrgreen: Also, a VTAC sling can work fairly well on a crossbow if you have the full buttstock adapter for the sling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:06 am 

Crossbows, like most anything else, is one of those products where you usually get what you pay for. Usually.
On the topic of dry-fires, tho- I agree, dry firing any weapon is usually not a good idea, however, any weapon that cannot stand up to being dry fired without trashing itself, isn't anything I'd want to own. I've dry-fired both my bows, with no ill effects, and so I've kept them. It's not a practice I'd adopt as SOP, and really, I can't see the point with a stringed weapon- you can SEE if it's loaded or not- pretty hard to miss that. With a firearm, though, it's possible to dry fire while thinking it's loaded- and if it can't handle that simple operator mistake, why own it?

I also agree with not trying to re-use the ammo- even if it's still in one piece, an arrow or bolt is likely to be warped from the impact, and it will never fly true again. Besides, the Rambo-esque explodey heads would probably ruin them anyway :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
On the topic of dry-fires, tho- I agree, dry firing any weapon is usually not a good idea, however, any weapon that cannot stand up to being dry fired without trashing itself, isn't anything I'd want to own. I've dry-fired both my bows, with no ill effects, and so I've kept them. It's not a practice I'd adopt as SOP, and really, I can't see the point with a stringed weapon- you can SEE if it's loaded or not- pretty hard to miss that. With a firearm, though, it's possible to dry fire while thinking it's loaded- and if it can't handle that simple operator mistake, why own it?

Firearms=/=Bow. I've always understood it is very, very bad to dry fire a bow, much more so for a modern compound or crossbow, but for any bow, it's ability to survive a dry firing is very different to the ability of a firearm to be dry fired. The Energy of a drawn bow must go somewhere, and without the arrow or bolt to expend it, the energy gets dissipated into the rest of the bow in a way that can damage the bow. Even if it looks fine, it can do some serious damage. If you dry fire a bow, check it over very carefully for damage.

Good quality bows still might have a catastrophic failure from a dry fire.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 am 

Ad'lan wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote:

Firearms=/=Bow. I've always understood it is very, very bad to dry fire a bow, much more so for a modern compound or crossbow, but for any bow, it's ability to survive a dry firing is very different to the ability of a firearm to be dry fired. The Energy of a drawn bow must go somewhere, and without the arrow or bolt to expend it, the energy gets dissipated into the rest of the bow in a way that can damage the bow. Even if it looks fine, it can do some serious damage. If you dry fire a bow, check it over very carefully for damage.

Good quality bows still might have a catastrophic failure from a dry fire.

Excellent advice, Ad'lan- and coming from you, I know I can take it as gospel. I did know that, but only because a good friend of mine used to do archery shows, and taught me. Which, btw, is how I know that you know what you're talking about on the subject. Like I said, I wouldn't dry fire a bow every day, anymore than I'd get into the habit of squeezing the trigger on a rifle to check if it was loaded- eventually, something bad would happen in either example.

I'd still like to get a crossbow, tho, and I'd LOVE to have the time to go shoot all those weapons, too. Just not in the cards right now, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:57 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not only dry firing, but holding it wrong when drawing :( ...I had my bow (older Bear white tail) in the local store (sports authority... and "sucks" is the end of that sentance) to see what gadgets would fit on it. So the store bow "expert" says, hey let me put your bow on the scale to see what it's pulling. He had the hook set back a little from the notch where webbing of your hand would set, which seemed odd to me (might have been off to one side as well)... Anyway, long story long, the bow was a taco the next morning, and no admission of screw up from store or "expert". Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am 

A Ruger MKII with integral silencer is a great "hush puppy". You can even hold the bolt closed with your thumb to fire single shoot. No bolt slap.

Yes, I have done it. No, my thumb was ok.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:52 am 

The trigger on the cobra pistol is a beast. It has descent power for the size, but couldn't hit water if it was in a boat.

I'll cook this bunneh for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad bunneh. Not like going down the kitchen toasting bread and bagels. This bunneh, swallow ya whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 am 

Neet idea, but i think id use a suppressed rifle or hand gun. That way you can take on more than one enemy at a time. That being said i dont know if id be trying to infiltrate a large city. It can be done but id would be way too dangerous to attempt with anything other than high capacity firearms. Zombies arent much one at a time, but in a group of ten or more they are a serious threat, even when your concealed. Besides they are gonna hear the sound of the freshly killed zombie hitting the deck and start moaning and wailing cuz they react to any kind of sound, which will atract more zombies. Not to mention any kind of infiltration will be extremely difficult with out some kind of intel. Just look at what happend to Rick from "The Walking Dead." He rounded a corner and found a mob of hungry zombies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 pm 

Well, to be fair, Rick WAS still working on his learning curve at that point. A year from that point, he'd probably be peeking around the corner with a hand-held mirror first, or something similar. We have the advantage of having thought all this zombie stuff out first, lol.

Certainly, zombies are generally a quiet crowd until something stirs them up, but I have to wonder as to just how acute their hearing would be, consisting of rotting, dead flesh and all. It could be they can't hear at all, but do respond somehow to the concussion of loud noises, like a rifle report or a grenade going off. In either case, some pretty sensitive nerve endings would still have to be functional in order to notice the input, regardless of source or size. Same goes for the "hunting by scent" theory.

Thankfully, we have the internet to discuss this on, so when the zombies DO show up, we'll be ready! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:41 pm 

While crossbows are quieter than an unsuppressed firearm, they are definitely not silent. There's a fairly loud "thwack!" when you loose a bolt on all that I've shot or seen/heard shot. If you can shoot a longbow or recurve, tune it for quietness (eliminate the "thwang" of the string if necessary) and you'll have a nearly silent weapon. With sharp broadheads it doesn't take a very powerful bow to be effective, the chief advantage of powerful bows on human/deer sized game is that they shoot flatter, and thus errors in judging range aren't as critical.

As for crossbow accuracy, misses to the left or right are almost always the result of unevenly bracing (cocking) the bow in a way that there is more tension on one limb than the other, and the bolt leaves the bow flying sideways. If the arrow/bolt doesn't have straight flight so all of the mass of the arrow is directly behind the broadhead, it isn't going to be very effective.

Since arrows kill primarily by causing massive bleeding, I wonder if they'd be at all effective against an undead Zed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hit the brainstem. That being said, the only truly silent zombie kill is a spike-stil dagger to the base of the skull. Hatchets, shovels, firearms, crossbows, bows, and anything else (including fire) makes a fair bit of noise. Suffice it to say, if you're in a situation where you have to kill something, it's likely that you aren't going to kill it with the first attempt, which will make even more noise. This goes double if you've never killed something that was trying to kill you.

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:16 pm 

I think a "stealth" weapon could be one that one doesn't expect to be a weapon. This is what I have. It's a quality product from Cold Steel.

A sword cane

upon the Rock of Ages.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:52 pm 

From the stealth prescriptive, it's hard to pinpoint someones location from just one shot. Be it a bang from a gun or the twang of a bowstring. Well I take that back if someone hears a bowstring twang they are probably within 50 yards away or so on a calm day from you. From the limited budget perspective, I recently acquired a Martin Jaguar compound bow from my older brother. It was discounted for him because it was both a display model and discontinued from production about 4 years ago. It's not a real quiet bow but its very accurate. Martin still carries parts, strings and cables for it and recently introduced the Jaguar Take down recurve bow, same riser but with bolt on recurve limbs. It's priced around $145. For an investment of less than 120 bucks I could have spare strings and cables for the compound and a set of recurve limbs I could replace on the same riser if the compound bow components wore out or if I choose to bowfish or pursue small game. I already have a small portable cable press so I can disassemble the compound.

also there is a device called the stay loc. It's used to keep a compound at full draw much along the lines of a crossbow,which got me thinking that it would be possible to modify a stock to accept a conventional compound as a crossbow but I haven't had much time to think on it enough.

There are a lot of cool ideas out there based on archery. Slingbows that use a slingshots to launch hunting arrows to devices that use the stroke of the arrow to power a .22 caliber pellet rifle. Some common sense, a bit of imagination and there is no telling what you could come up with.

Stealth in foraging and hunting is always foremost on my mind, it's right up there with figuring out how to prepare and cook non traditional critters from carp to coons.