Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 pm 

right now I am too poor to do this but as soon as I get some extra cash I will be building it.

My plan is to take a standard Mosin Nagant 1891/30 and cut it down into an Obrez, however I am going to go a step further. The biggest cost is going to be the ATF SBR stamp which will be $200 and weeks of waiting. After seeing two examples of a folding stock on a Winchester 94 from the WTF weapons thread I have decided that this is entirely within my capability as an amateur gun smith. I am going to cut down the Mosin Nagant to just after the first spring that holds the ring in place. I will take apart the metal clip on the top stock guard and attach it to the newly cut end. Then I will get a gunsmith friend of mine to recrown the bore and weld a simple front sight that that will be useable when aligned with the back blades. Next I'm going to either cut before or after the dog caller sling hold in the back stock. I may cut after so I can still attach a sling to it and put it around my arm then wear it under a coat Terminator style. Or just to have a sling around it in general. The folding stock will have a wood cheek piece taken from the cut off back stock to give a nice rest when aiming. All in all project estimates are about $350 for everything. $100 for the rifle (going to look to see if I can get a cheaper damaged one with a bad bore), $200 for the stamp, and $50 in misc parts. My gunsmith friend told me he'd do the work for free when we got to it. The last addition if it works well may be threading the barrel to put a suppressor on. That is a year or two down the line.

I should be able to start on this around Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:21 pm 

Gross.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:44 pm 

Painful win. I say do it. Ball gag optional.

NXP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Spend as much money on it as you can.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Go for it, seriously. Nothing gives me more joy than to see the disgust on a purest face. I think it looks actually pretty function.

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=82581

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:37 pm 

Why go for metal?

Cutting the stock and putting in a mortice to take a hinge and fastner keeps the stock how it should be when it's unfolded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 am 

I'm gonna try to fathom where you (op) is going with this for a second or two.

First and foremost, I gotta ask:
Why?

What are you planning on doing with it?
While I like your ingenuity, I do not think it is a worthwhile endeavor.
If you are serious, go for it... (out of respect) but realize this;
Them wingnuts might not hold up to the abuse, and they are easily lost in the field.

IMHO.
A folding stock would be better utilized on a semi-auto carbine, than a High Power bolt action.'

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:07 am 

northernxposure wrote:
Painful win. I say do it. Ball gag optional.

Painful but oh so pleasurable once the build is complete

Dave_M wrote:

I plan to do it right, if I have to spend more cash I'm more than willing to do so.

Skull_Hide wrote:
Go for it, seriously. Nothing gives me more joy than to see the disgust on a purest face. I think it looks actually pretty function.

I was a purest for years until I started getting guns that were so damaged that you had to get creative with their restoration. Now I just want to make something functional that is pure awesome. Screw purests.

zoiders wrote:
Why go for metal?

Cutting the stock and putting in a mortice to take a hinge and fastner keeps the stock how it should be when it's unfolded.

That's actually a great idea to look into. The Metal was to cut down on weight and see about having it go mostly over the rifle, I may just work with two or at least buy a mosin nagant stock and try it out on hinge wise. The Hinge idea will definitely add more bulk on the side to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 am 

6UNF1GHTER wrote:
I'm gonna try to fathom where you (op) is going with this for a second or two.

The biggest reason I want to do this is because I want an Obrez. After firing one that a friend legally made I decided I would like to have one. I don't really anticipate me using it for anything other than target shooting and the "WTF" factor. I am constantly on the look out for a beat up mosin nagant to cut down, I don't want to do this to a perfectly serviceable rifle. The wing nuts are just an idea while I refine what I want to do with it. I do want the option of a butt stock on it so I can use it as a very short carbine to gain more accuracy. Sights are important to the idea and design. I have been pouring over the idea in my head for weeks and finally started sketching some of it out. There is another firearm I have, an antique rolling block .22lr that is so beat up it's only worth about 40 dollars. It is missing most of the parts however I am sure that i can repair it enough to fire again. If this build works then I can use what I learned to create a new stock for the rolling block.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:20 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hiro Hito would approve.

Arisaka with hinged wooden side-folding stock: http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Nagoya-A ... e_i9387115

Submachine gun with same idea (4a and 4b):

Takedown model:

http://www.war44.com/showthread.php?t=709

I've given up on trying to talk people out of butchering old Mosins, so here's my advice: shop around for a beat-up old stock for dirt cheap and practice on that. I think an inletted door hinge could work great IF you put a strong enough latch on the far side. Do this before cutting down an actual rifle. Heck, you could do the stock, then get an M38 or M44 and swap stocks, and not even have to do the SBR thing. Although you could of course proceed to do this afterwards if desired.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I believe Dave's comment was not meant as you maybe interpreting it. More along the lines of setting money on fire in his mind. At first I thought this build was going to you just wanting to slap a T6 stock on a Mosin and call it good but this looks much much better. I also think the wingnuts would be bad, time consuming to change position and if you just simply drilled holes the wood would split. A M1 folding stock style would look very nice as well. As long as you can keep this build classy looking I only see pure win.

Sig 1911-22LR pistol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 am 

Jeriah wrote:
Hiro Hito would approve.

Absolutely and thank you, That is perfect for what I started developing in mind. I really like the look of this better than the metal stock. Pure awesome. I know I can get cheap used stocks online so I think I will but a couple and try it out with my M44 and see if it will hold up to several rounds and general abuse/packing. If it fails then I can figure out what needs to be done to fix it. If it succeeds... win/win situation. I have never cut down any of my Mosins because I love them, but i do want to cut down something so trashed that's the only way to make it safe to fire again. M38 with this stock would really eliminate the need for an SBR for the time being. Thank you.

Skull_Hide wrote:
At first I thought this build was going to you just wanting to slap a T6 stock on a Mosin and call it good but this looks much much better

That was the original idea but I started tinkering with it on paper and came to several bad conclusions before this current incarnation. Now I am exploring two different methods of doing it. See this is why I posted this here on ZS, No one yet has said that it's a horrid idea and called me an idiot. I got the helpful suggestions I need to make this project a reality.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:47 am 

Red Dawn wrote:
See this is why I posted this here on ZS, No one yet has said that it's a horrid idea and called me an idiot. I got the helpful suggestions I need to make this project a reality.

I think many of the responses may have been sarcasm. :lol: But I was actually just thinking about a wood sidefolder tonight as I have a pic i found of a custom one on an AK. I think, with a good screwdriver and the right screws, you could do something with this:
http://www.dsarms.com/ACE-AK-Folding-Stock-Mechanism---FSM/productinfo/FSM/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 am 

AKFTW wrote:
I think many of the responses may have been sarcasm. :lol: But I was actually just thinking about a wood sidefolder tonight as I have a pic i found of a custom one on an AK. I think, with a good screwdriver and the right screws, you could do something with this:

They may have been, I just find this forum much more accepting then others I have been on in the past. This would work in part but for the price... Its almost the cost of another Mosin Nagant. It does give me some ideas though about the hinge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 am 

Red Dawn wrote:
AKFTW wrote:

They may have been, I just find this forum much more accepting then others I have been on in the past. This would work in part but for the price... Its almost the cost of another Mosin Nagant. It does give me some ideas though about the hinge.

The Tax Stamp alone will cost $200, not to mention the shoulder surgery you'll need after you fire this puppy :lol: . If it were me embarking on this ridiculous yet whimsically awesome adventure, the ACE block would be my choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 am 

AKFTW wrote:
The Tax Stamp alone will cost $200, not to mention the shoulder surgery you'll need after you fire this puppy :lol: . If it were me embarking on this ridiculous yet whimsically awesome adventure, the ACE block would be my choice.

I am keeping it in mind, it will have enough strength to work well. I wonder what it will feel like against my shoulder with the modifications when fired.

This is the newest concept of the idea.

I am thinking that the hinge may be odd in the hand and I would like it to fold to the left side of the rifle and clip on the right if I do go with this design. A pistol grip may eliminate the need to grip the hinged part of the stock and would allow the rifle to be fired without the stock extended. To create one I would simply cut it out of an old stock and shape it to what felt comfortable in my hand. Then I would put a small bolt down through the stock, glue it in and bolt it on. I will have to see on a test stock how the hinge feels in the hand. Now I know a pistol grip nugget is not exactly a great thing to look at. If I can get it right then it will be a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:55 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

IMO don't do the pistol grip, just leave the grip out long enough to use it as if it was a actual Obrez and have the hinge just after where your hand would be secure. I think it would look better, unless you can find a way to really make that pistol grip work like you say.

Sig 1911-22LR pistol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 am 

Jeriah wrote:
Hiro Hito would approve.

Arisaka with hinged wooden side-folding stock: http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Nagoya-A ... e_i9387115

Submachine gun with same idea (4a and 4b):

Takedown model:

http://www.war44.com/showthread.php?t=709

I've given up on trying to talk people out of butchering old Mosins, so here's my advice: shop around for a beat-up old stock for dirt cheap and practice on that. I think an inletted door hinge could work great IF you put a strong enough latch on the far side. Do this before cutting down an actual rifle. Heck, you could do the stock, then get an M38 or M44 and swap stocks, and not even have to do the SBR thing. Although you could of course proceed to do this afterwards if desired.

haha just cause its been done doesn't mean its a good idea

the Japanese attacked the US. did it work, yes. was it a good idea. NO :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dood, it's your money and your time but why the hell are you going to spend $200 + whatever labor cost on a $100 rifle?
If you want a SBR then get an SBR. I recommend an AR-15. You can buy a PSA lower on a holiday sale for $60. Then you buy the tax stamp. As you're waiting on the tax stamp you can piece together the AR-15. LPK one month, upper another, then the BCG, etc. At the end of this you'd have a rifle that you actually want. The most expensive part of the AR-15 is the barrel and if you troll the EE on Arfcom, you'll find a used barrel for around $200. Everything else can be had for around $100 or less at a pop.
Or shit, maybe you really want this.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Regular Guy wrote:
Dood, it's your money and your time but why the hell are you going to spend $200 + whatever labor cost on a $100 rifle?

This.

It's like getting a can for a hi point. Sure you can do it, but why?

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

heck yeah, I think this is awesome. Sometimes you need something that is just fun. I think a pistol grip would be interesting, hope you can pull it off :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm 

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

It's like getting a can for a hi point. Sure you can do it, but why?

I don't like the AR platform, and really because I can. Now I am going to try both the SBR and the Folding stocked M38. Why do it on a $100 dollar rifle? Because if I totally screw everything up i'm out a grand total of a hundred dollars. If I try it with something nicer then I'm out a lot more.

run faster wrote:
heck yeah, I think this is awesome. Sometimes you need something that is just fun. I think a pistol grip would be interesting, hope you can pull it off :)

I hope I can also. I saw some ideas on how exactly to do it and make it look like it belongs on the rifle in the first place. I would really like to take it to a gun show afterwards and have people blink when I have a pistol grip Paratrooper M38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

Red Dawn wrote:
$100 for the rifle, $200 for the stamp,

This is a violation of my accessories rules: "Rule #1: The accessorie cannot cost more than the object being accessorised"

When all is said and done, remember...Pics, or it didn't happen :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:29 pm 

Dave_M wrote:

This ^.