Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm 

I have the Mossbeg 802 plinkster and it is a fine rifle.
The 802 is the bolt action model, I bought it for my son to learn to shoot with. When he got the hang of iron sights I bought him a scope.
The gun has yet to balk at any brand of ammo and Golden bullets seem to group amost as well as Remington .22 match ammo,
those two are the tightest groupers so far. I picked up a couple of boxes of Aquila Match Rifle to try in it next range trip.
I know this thread is about the 702, but if it shoots like the 802 you have a fun and inexpensive rifle. CMD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 pm 

This is my 802, pretty similar to the 702.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 pm 

Lol. Fun? Absolutely. Put several hundred rounds through it when I last had it out.
It's sooo quiet compared to my usual rifles. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

Which bipod and scope do you have? That seems like a pretty hefty scope (40mm?). I put a Bushnell 4x32 on some Leapers UTG rings. Leapers doesn't make the best scopes, but their mounts are rock solid. I've been wanting to put a bipod on it, too. Did you have to put a plate on first? Mine doesn't have one. Although I guess I can just get a barrel-mounted bipod if I'm desperate enough...

http://www.mafiascum.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 pm 

The scope is a BSA Sweet 22 with built in bullet drop compensation, Millett angle lock rings which have built in horizontal adjustment to let you maximize the scopes internal adjustments and a Caldwell bipod. The bipod attaches to a sling swivel, I just bought the one for a hollow stock, it has a machine screw thread and nut instead of a wood screw for a wooden stock. CMD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

late to the party, but i have one and its a great little rifle IMO.

mine doesnt like blaser, but it will shoot eveything else just fine 99% of the time. i wish i would have bought a 10/22 only because of the mag situation. if i get the chance to sell the 702 i will so i can move up to a 10/22.

have fun with it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:52 am 

I wanted to reply to this, but my 702 was the first gun I bought myself, and got it for $90 at D***'s sporting goods and it had the camo stock. The stock sights were decent but every couple rounds one would go way off from the group. It has a molded in scope rail, and mine came molded crooked, I mounted 3 different scopes to it with different rings as well and each was way off and couldnt come over far enough. Got tired of it after about 100 rounds, and sold it for what I paid for it (yes I did tell the man and asked if he wanted me to send it in for warranty and he declined) and went out and bought the 10/22 and never looking back. The thing is seriously a tack driver. Just got some 30 rounders and anxious to see how they work on it. Good luck with yours, hope your 702 is better than mine was!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm 

That's the reason I got the bolt-action. They're literally the cheapest (non single-shot) guns you can get, maybe tied with a Marlin. Bolt-action is more reliable and accurate, and if you take time to get your sight-picture good while shooting a semi it's just as slow as the bolt.

http://www.mafiascum.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 pm 

I just bought the 702 plinkster about a week ago, and it is my first gun. I bought the Bushnell 4x32 scope from walmart for $29.99 which makes the overall look 100% nicer. Fired off my first shots tonight. Ammunition I'm using is the cheap federal .22 hollow point 36 grain ($20 for 550 rounds at walmart). I've read from numerous forums with owners that say that it fires great on cheap ammo. I would like to try some other types though.

After about 20 minutes of honing the scope in, I got about an average of 1 inch spread (not that great) at 25 yards. My shots were a lot closer grouped though when I took about 30 seconds to calm nerves and wait for the right shot. When I really took my time, the shots were damn near dead on. At about 25 yards, aiming at a bottle laying down with cap facing me, I was able to successfully hit the plastic bottle cap on the 3rd shot (the other two shots I hit the bottle, but not the cap). Not too bad, most might say it's nothing to brag about. What if I told you that this is my first time shooting an actual "rifle". Although, I used to be a beast with a BB gun when I was a child.

Out of 40-50 rounds fired I had no misfires, jams, or anything go wrong. The gun functioned flawlessly. The trigger is quite heavy though. This is my first gun, but overall it has met all of my expectations. I payed a few dollars more than others have said they got their for, but for $117 you just simply cannot beat the price. A cheap pellet rifle almost costs that much.

Mine....

Oh and btw, mossberg now offers a 25 round high capacity magazine. The price is a little steep, but I guess they can justify it because it is the only one for the 702. Make sure if you have the plinkster you get the right one. The tactical uses the same clip but the plinkster clip is shorter at the top. Oh and you can try to shop around for the best price, but I am just going to tell you to not waste your time. The only other places that sell it aren't really businesses you can trust with your money (they all have crappy reviews).

702 Plinkster 25 round mag:
http://www.goo.gl/fZwLp

702 Tactical 25 round mag:
http://www.goo.gl/RWmcS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:44 am 

Wife has one of these and it's a nifty little thing. Light and handy and accurate as you can ask a rifle in the price range to be.

She has a cheap red dot on it and slipped on an 8 round .308 buttstock cartridge holder to which she took a seam ripper - turns out removing every other seam on makes the perfect fit to hold 3 10rd magazines :lol:

I'll grab a pic tomorrow if I remember, she's sleeping right now and I'll wake her digging it out lol.

But yeah, 9/10 in terms of value for money, and again its super light which makes it a good training tool for the daughter too.

The Gray Man: Or How To Be Invisible:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:26 am 

J-WeB wrote:
I just bought the 702 plinkster about a week ago, and it is my first gun. I bought the Bushnell 4x32 scope from walmart for $29.99 which makes the overall look 100% nicer. Fired off my first shots tonight. Ammunition I'm using is the cheap federal .22 hollow point 36 grain ($20 for 550 rounds at walmart). I've read from numerous forums with owners that say that it fires great on cheap ammo. I would like to try some other types though.

After about 20 minutes of honing the scope in, I got about an average of 1 inch spread (not that great) at 25 yards. My shots were a lot closer grouped though when I took about 30 seconds to calm nerves and wait for the right shot. When I really took my time, the shots were damn near dead on. At about 25 yards, aiming at a bottle laying down with cap facing me, I was able to successfully hit the plastic bottle cap on the 3rd shot (the other two shots I hit the bottle, but not the cap). Not too bad, most might say it's nothing to brag about. What if I told you that this is my first time shooting an actual "rifle". Although, I used to be a beast with a BB gun when I was a child.

Out of 40-50 rounds fired I had no misfires, jams, or anything go wrong. The gun functioned flawlessly. The trigger is quite heavy though. This is my first gun, but overall it has met all of my expectations. I payed a few dollars more than others have said they got their for, but for $117 you just simply cannot beat the price. A cheap pellet rifle almost costs that much.
Sounds like you had fun with it. Thats good. Also, good choice in ammo. Federal ammo is one of my favorite plinking ammo. Just stay away from any Remington ammo and you'll be set.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:33 am 

I have one of these as well. The 702 is a great plinking gun, and excellent for upping your long gun skills on the cheap. It's eating the cheapest crap I can give it and spitting it out just fine. I wasn't sure that .22lr would be able to cycle in a semi-auto all that well, but so far it's not jammed on me even once.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 am 

Funny, I have actually have iffy results in mine with Federal bulk pack...but great results with hi-velocity .22 stuff like Win and CCI Mini-Mags.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm 

My Plinkster....
:D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Funny, I have actually have iffy results in mine with Federal bulk pack...but great results with hi-velocity .22 stuff like Win and CCI Mini-Mags.
As always, ammo varies gun to gun. I still have yet to try my mini mags out. How did those work out? I'll be using them in my 10/22.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 pm 

No hiccups using mini-mags... with any .22 I've ever ran it through. This includes a Jennings J-22 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 am 

Just out of curiosity, where are they imported from?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 pm 

TravisM.1 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, where are they imported from?

Mossberg imports the 702 from Brazil.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 pm 

Timberlord wrote:
My Plinkster....
:D

That is bad ass. I want to add a few more things to mine. Definitely some kind of sling, and maybe a bipod. Does anyone know what kind of sling I should get for mine? It doesn't have anything to attach it to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 am 

the 702 plinkster was my first rifle to buy. i bought it the day i turned 18 and its a decent little gun but be careful with it as i was loading the clip i had i sitting on the seat of my friends truck and it slid down maybe 6 inches and barley hit the center console and broke the front site off and pissed me off so bad i couldnt shoot it until i got a new on

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 am 

scfb wrote:
the 702 plinkster was my first rifle to buy. i bought it the day i turned 18 and its a decent little gun but be careful with it as i was loading the clip i had i sitting on the seat of my friends truck and it slid down maybe 6 inches and barley hit the center console and broke the front site off and pissed me off so bad i couldnt shoot it until i got a new on

Are you saying the bullet fired while loading, or that it just broke the sight off? I love my bushnell 4x32. I need to get some range time in with it though. I am dying to shoot it some, just cant really justify paying a quarter of the price of the gun to go shoot it at a range. I'm a cheap ass.