It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 702 Plinkster
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 pm 

Hey all.
This is my newest firearms acquisition. I decided I would be better served with a .22LR rifle, than a .22LR Jennings... because I have real defensive pistol options, and would like to use it as rifle practice to keep up on my longarm skills while saving money on ammo. :mrgreen: No seriously, I can justify just about anything that is gun related.
It's light, has a composite stock, 10 rounds, mag fed semi-auto, that seems to be based off the old Marlin action (a plus, my father has had one for about 25 years now, and it still runs. Lol). Like the sights well enough. Should be able to do a lot of shooting with the little thing.

I have read about being able to mod a Ruger 10/22 mag to fit, but have not found any how-to guides. Anyone do this before? I wouldn't mind having more than 10 rounds on hand...but since it was a budget acquisition, I sure wouldn't cry over getting a couple spare mags on the side. Just like the idea of cramming more rounds into the little gun...save myself reloading magazines when out shooting (plus, being .22 means I can shoot it at an indoor range, and it cost less than a .22LR conversion for my AR, and adds another layer to my firearms rotation).

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 am 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Hey all.
This is my newest firearms acquisition. I decided I would be better served with a .22LR rifle, than a .22LR Jennings... because I have real defensive pistol options, and would like to use it as rifle practice to keep up on my longarm skills while saving money on ammo. :mrgreen: No seriously, I can justify just about anything that is gun related.
It's light, has a composite stock, 10 rounds, mag fed semi-auto, that seems to be based off the old Marlin action (a plus, my father has had one for about 25 years now, and it still runs. Lol). Like the sights well enough. Should be able to do a lot of shooting with the little thing.

I have read about being able to mod a Ruger 10/22 mag to fit, but have not found any how-to guides. Anyone do this before? I wouldn't mind having more than 10 rounds on hand...but since it was a budget acquisition, I sure wouldn't cry over getting a couple spare mags on the side. Just like the idea of cramming more rounds into the little gun...save myself reloading magazines when out shooting (plus, being .22 means I can shoot it at an indoor range, and it cost less than a .22LR conversion for my AR, and adds another layer to my firearms rotation).

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?
I'm a mossberg fan...except for this 22 rifle. It's not USA made, so I was never interested in getting one.

But other than that, I've read up on these quite a bit. For the price, you SHOULD have a nice little rifle. However, a 10/22 would have been a better choice and not that much more. I dont know if you bought this from a store or was acquired it from a friend/family member. For what it is, it should be a fine plinkster ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:55 am 

Got it through a private sale for cheap, as I buy from shops less and less these days it seems (save for ammo). I don't give a damn where it was made. Foreign doesn't = junk. In fact, very few of my firearms are US made (my AR and parts of my 1911), and they're all pretty good stuff. 10/22 was not forthcoming in offers, as I posted a want add for something inexpensive, and fun. I think, even with a 10 round mag, it can be a fun little rifle. Keeps my ammo cost down, which is really the biggest thing. Not brand myopic, not nation myopic. Lol. The name basically says it, and well, that *is* what I bought it for...plinking. Using a .22 as a serious gun just doesn't make as much sense. Even a casual .22LR can do many same functions as a more "tacticool" .22, they are all going to be generally light weight, generally accurate, and I imagine even an old Sears and Roebuck single shot .22 could bag a rabbit or a squirrel, take care of a rat, or an annoying raccoon. Which is about the only application I can see a .22LR really having... small game, pest control, and cheap shooting.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 pm 

I recently purchased a bolt-action (so I guess it's actually an 802 maybe?) one of these and put a Bushnell 4x32 rimfire scope on it. The iron sights are pretty good, but I wanted something that could get me easily up to 100-150 yards. The cheapo rings that came with the scope forced me to take off the rear sight, and these crap rings slip all the time. I'm putting on some Leapers UTG rings on tomorrow and hopefully I can leave the rear sight on while still having the scope. Probably going to sight the scope in for 100yd and the iron sights for 50yd.

I'm a pretty crappy rifle shooter, so the gun is much more accurate than I am. It's fairly lightweight, so it's pretty portable. I've been mostly using it for silhouette shooting from 25-100 yards.

Give me some reports on when you take it out!

http://www.mafiascum.net

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 am 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Got it through a private sale for cheap, as I buy from shops less and less these days it seems (save for ammo). I don't give a damn where it was made. Foreign doesn't = junk. In fact, very few of my firearms are US made (my AR and parts of my 1911), and they're all pretty good stuff. 10/22 was not forthcoming in offers, as I posted a want add for something inexpensive, and fun. I think, even with a 10 round mag, it can be a fun little rifle. Keeps my ammo cost down, which is really the biggest thing. Not brand myopic, not nation myopic. Lol. The name basically says it, and well, that *is* what I bought it for...plinking. Using a .22 as a serious gun just doesn't make as much sense. Even a casual .22LR can do many same functions as a more "tacticool" .22, they are all going to be generally light weight, generally accurate, and I imagine even an old Sears and Roebuck single shot .22 could bag a rabbit or a squirrel, take care of a rat, or an annoying raccoon. Which is about the only application I can see a .22LR really having... small game, pest control, and cheap shooting.
I own 3 russian firearms, I know foreign =/= junk. I just find it odd an American company would import certain firearms, generally speaking not talking about one company.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:18 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've heard great things about those little rifles and them being a hundred dollars cheaper than a 10/22 at Wally World isn't bad either.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 am 

I'm not sure about Mossberg's 702 Plinkster, but I do know a few people that have had good luck with Marlin's 795. They go for around the same price as Mossberg's 702, but Marlin has a $25 rebate on their website, which means you can typically get it for less than the 702. IIRC, it's also made in the USA and it shares some parts in common with Marlin's popular model 60.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 am 

Wasn't looking on advice about the gun. Lol. Looking for experiences with one.
I got to shoot it this past weekend, and it is a lot of fun, and pretty accurate, though I should take it to an indoor range to make sure the sights are set right.
It seems to like the higher velocity .22LR stuff, and will occasionally choke on bulk-box stuff (Federal).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 am 

What do you mean by "choke?" FTF or FTE?

I don't think I've had a single misfire in the 200 or so Remington rounds I've put through it. It's the bulk box, something like 525 rounds for $20 at Dick's. Haven't really shot anything else, but I have a box of Winchester that I've been meaning to try, plus 150 rounds of 20 or 30+ year old stuff (maybe Wolf?) that I've shot exactly 1 round of; it still works ;)

Might be bolt-action vs semi-auto as I have the bolt.

Side note: When shooting my model 22A pistol, I've had more misfires with the CCIs than with the Remingtons, and the CCIs cost twice as much!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:53 pm 

Oh. fail to eject. It worked flawlessly otherwise with high velocity rounds.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Wasn't looking on advice about the gun. Lol. Looking for experiences with one.
I got to shoot it this past weekend, and it is a lot of fun, and pretty accurate, though I should take it to an indoor range to make sure the sights are set right.
It seems to like the higher velocity .22LR stuff, and will occasionally choke on bulk-box stuff (Federal).
I'm not sure your firearms background, so I'll just say this in case you don't know. I own a 10/22, which "chokes" on bulk once in a while. Thats the way 22 ammo is, which is also why repeating firearms are more reliable. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 pm 

Lol. In my experience *most* .22s will be picky about ammo. About the only ones that I have seen that weren't are my girlfriend's Buckmark, and my father's Marlin Mod.60. Everything else I have ever laid hands on has been a picky bitch. Not that it really bothers me, because even the most expensive .22LR is cheap compared to everything else I own.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Lol. In my experience *most* .22s will be picky about ammo. About the only ones that I have seen that weren't are my girlfriend's Buckmark, and my father's Marlin Mod.60. Everything else I have ever laid hands on has been a picky bitch. Not that it really bothers me, because even the most expensive .22LR is cheap compared to everything else I own.

That's actually one of the reasons I bought a Henry lever action .22. It's nearly as fast to shoot as a semi-auto, but it's not picky about ammo in the least. I can buy the cheapest garbage .22lr and it will digest it just fine. It even does .22 shorts, which are great for low noise practice.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:11 pm 

I have a 702. It's a fun gun to shoot. It is cheap enough that I experimented with doing a little camo paint job on the stock and I dropped it once and didn't have an aneurism.
Mine is plenty accurate enough for me and it's pretty reliable. I hardly ever clean the thing and it doesn't jam or ftf much at all. I wish there were larger mags available but nothing to cry over. I know there are better .22's out there, so the rifle is what it is.
Hope you have fun with it.

A lie is the refuge of weakness. The man of courage is not afraid of the truth. - J.C. Macaulay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 am 

Dooms wrote:
shoggoth80 wrote:

That's actually one of the reasons I bought a Henry lever action .22. It's nearly as fast to shoot as a semi-auto, but it's not picky about ammo in the least. I can buy the cheapest garbage .22lr and it will digest it just fine. It even does .22 shorts, which are great for low noise practice.
Bingo!

In almost 1000 rounds shot through my henry lever 22, including 100rds of 22 shorts, there was only ONE malfunction (misfire). And that was with the Remington Golden bullets. So, I cant really blame the gun for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:42 pm 

Is there an advantage to using .22 shorts? They're definitely quieter, but they seem so small that they'd be expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:56 pm 

theplague42 wrote:
Is there an advantage to using .22 shorts? They're definitely quieter, but they seem so small that they'd be expensive.
They are roughly $7/100 at walmart, so they are more expensive than your average 22LR. No advantages that I know of other than noise level. I bought them just to try out, but I dont buy them regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:43 pm 

theplague42 wrote:

The reduced noise level is the biggest reason. Being they're sub-sonic they're very quiet; I have no need to wear hearing protection with them, even shooting indoors. However, another reason I like them is that, in rifles with a tube magazine, you can fit more of them than .22lr because of their shorter overall length. My little Henry holds 19+1.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:44 pm 

.22 short = pest control round in noise sensitive areas?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
.22 short = pest control round in noise sensitive areas?

That's what it's perfect for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Muzzlebrake much?

Sorry. I just... that's like a 50 cal worthy muzzle brake.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quackferdogan wrote:
Muzzlebrake much?

Sorry. I just... that's like a 50 cal worthy muzzle brake.

Tames the wild recoil...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm 

Imagine a full-auto one of those...

Last edited by theplague42 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.