So which scope should I get?
Poll ended at Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:17 pm
Nikon 3-12x42 M-223 BDC Scope 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Leupold 4-12x40 Mark AR Mil-Dot Scope 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Some Other Scope. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:17 pm 
BANNED

I'm having some trouble deciding on a Scope meant for Mid-Range Shooting (less than 600 yards, usually less than 350 yards) that doesn't break the bank meant to be on a Bravo Company AR Upper in 5.56 1/7 twist with a 20' upper.

This ($450 to $500) is the uppermost price limit as to what I can spend on a scope and I'd like something larger than a 3-9X40. Unfortunately suggestions to..'save a little bit more'.. and to get another higher priced, badass AR scope just isn't in the cards this time (Domestic Circumstances Beyond My Control) and it won't be for quite awhile.

I did a search on these two particular scopes in the Mid-Priced and Mid-Range category meant for AR's hadn't been done to death and I didn't really see a whole lot on these two particular scopes so I figured 'What the Hell??? Why Not?'.

Tasks this package will be used for :
This will be kind of a general purchase AR meant for a wide variety of tasks (quite a bit of informal target shooting, quite a bit of hog hunting, some training, a little bit of coyote hunting and maybe some white-tail deer hunting at some point in the furture since the deer around here are about the size of large dogs....will probably use the 6.8 Upper on the deer since it worked great this deer season).

Plan :
I have an Stag Arms AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and this upper will get swapped back and forth between the one in 6.8 SPC and this BCM 5.56 upper (since I have quite a bit more 5.56/.223 Rem ammo than I do 6.8 SPC ammo) and the optics on each upper will basically be married to that specific upper.

5.56/.223 ammo is just cheaper to shoot and I like having a complete additional upper to swap out at a moments notice besides having spare parts and tools on hand just in case.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some 6.8 SPC. The only thing is that being able to shoot 5.56/.223 Rem ammo is a definate plus.

Mid-Priced and Mid-Range Scopes Meant For An AR-15 :
I'm completely willing to listen to other suggestions on scopes if anyone has any. However they'd have to be a scope manufactured by a mainstream optics company with a good reputation capable of seeing out to 600 yards. I wear glasses, so the only problem I have in hitting at longer ranges is being able to actually see the target....that's why I'd like to get a scope larger than a 3-9X40 and any suggestions on other scopes would have to be less than $500 in price.

The two options below are the two scopes I've researched the most in that price range meant to top an AR like this one (I do have other AR's and other rifles though...this wouldn't be my only one period).

Nikon M-223 3-12X42

Nikon BDC Reticle

Nikon 3-12x42 M-223 Riflescope $449.95 (*Click*)

....Or.....

Leupold Mark AR

Fine Duplex or Mil-Dot Reticle with the Leupold Mark AR Scope

Leupold 4-12x40 Mark AR Riflescope $449.95 (*Click*)

Q : I just can't decide....so anyone want to help me break the tie?

Q : Anyone own either of these specific scopes?

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:29 pm 

Wait. Get the new Trijicon vapor-ware hotness in 2011. Or at least wait to see how it is before you drop coin on another scope.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am 

I intend to buy a scope in this range soon. My current top choice is Zeiss conquest 3-9x40. This may change when I actually look at them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:09 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I own a couple of Leupolds, and I've been happy with them. They sit on hunting rifles and don't have a high round count, but in dim light they are much better than cheap optics. If you go with Leupold or Nikon you're going to get a quality scope.

But I'm also a deal guy, and this scope caught my eye this week:
http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield ... 12600.aspx

It's got a 30mm tube which should be able to bring in more light, and it has a lighted reticule if you choose to use it. When the light is off it's a standard reticule. Could add some versatility to the scope.

If you're spending more than a couple bills on glass, you may want to look at one of the premium brands, like this:
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-R ... P8665.aspx
or with a fancy reticule

Or maybe something like this:
http://swfa.com/IOR-4x24-Tactical-30mm- ... P1917.aspx

There are lots of good choices in your price range, you can't go wrong with any of 'em.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm 
BANNED

nimdabew wrote:
Wait. Get the new Trijicon vapor-ware hotness in 2011. Or at least wait to see how it is before you drop coin on another scope.

I've heard that Trijicon is coming out with some new scope, but the one thread on here about it was so cryptic that I have no idea as to any of the details on it (if it's fixed or variable, what the power is on it, what the price is going to be on it, what the reticle is going to be etc etc).

Plus I wanted this thing scoped like....yesterday.

Do you have any details on it though??? I could always buy one at a later point.

jvdb wrote:
I intend to buy a scope in this range soon. My current top choice is Zeiss conquest 3-9x40. This may change when I actually look at them.

I've looked at the Zeiss Conquest line quite a bit, but like I said I wanted something larger than a 3-9X40 and so that would go above the price cap that I have to spend.

For instance....Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Rapid Z 800 Scope $874.95 (*Click*)

Like I said above I'd love to get a badass scope for this AR, but for the forseeable future I just need to get a good quality middle of the road scope (later on I can always put this scope on something different and upgrade).

It's just if you don't have the money then you just don't have the money. :Shrug

Plus I want something slightly larger than a 3-9X40.

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:23 pm 
BANNED

PistolPete wrote:
I own a couple of Leupolds, and I've been happy with them. They sit on hunting rifles and don't have a high round count, but in dim light they are much better than cheap optics. If you go with Leupold or Nikon you're going to get a quality scope.

Yeah, true enough...I just can't seem to break the tie as they both seem like good middle of the road scopes. At this point I am leaning towards the Nikon a little bit more just because I dig on that BDC reticle. Putting the target in that circle seems like it's faster than using a similar with the 'Hash Marks'.

Quote:
But I'm also a deal guy, and this scope caught my eye this week:
http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield ... 12600.aspx

Yeah, I saw that Burris and it's a pretty good deal (there's also a Package Deal *Click* where that same basic scope comes with a bipod too...it's just not in 'Tactical' Fullfield line though if that matters).

The only thing is that I want something larger and with more power than a 3-9X40.

Zooming in on a distant target so that I can see it better makes a big difference to me. I can still get good hits using 2-7 or 3-9 scopes at less than 250 yards (using an old Redfield 2-7 on my 6.8 SPC AR this year I bagged a doe, shot placement was perfect as it went through both lungs and clipped the bottom of the heart), but generally the shot placement isn't quite as good past a couple hundred yards as when I use a slightly more powerful scope.

If the shot's within 200 to 250 yards it doesn't matter whether I'm using a 2-7X40, a 3-9X40 or a 3.5-14X40 scope....However once the range gets past that THEN it starts to matter a bit more and I just get slightly better shot placement on targets and game (esp in low light) with the larger scope.

Quote:
If you're spending more than a couple bills on glass, you may want to look at one of the premium brands, like this:
or with a fancy reticule

Or maybe something like this:
http://swfa.com/IOR-4x24-Tactical-30mm- ... P1917.aspx

That IOR's a great scope, but since it's a 4X it's not what I'm really looking for.

For the 1-4X Close Quarters/Mid-Range scope category I already went with a Leatherwood CMR on a different 5.56/.223 Rem. This specific rifle configuration is meant for a little farther out (1 to 600 yards).

Quote:
There are lots of good choices in your price range, you can't go wrong with any of 'em.

True enough....that's probably kind of the reason I can't decide on which one to buy.

SWFA is about 15 miles away, so maybe I'll just take a drive down there and compare all of these side by side. While I'm down there I'll check out that 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest again. Maybe the difference between a Zeiss 3-9 and a slightly more powerful Leupold or Nikon 3 or 4 to 12 power scope wouldn't be as much of a difference as I'm thinking.

I do like the ability to zoom WAY out there though. For me bigger isn't always better, except with scopes (unless the rifle's specifically meant for 250 yards or less).