Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm 

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Best prices I've seen. Free shipping on $50+ orders (I now have enough 550 cord).

I got two of the 3/8" x 4" rods they say are their favorite.

Looks like a much better value than stuff as thick from Light My Fire and BCB.

After looking into this stuff some I realized I'd rather have one of these rods than a lighter. More durable of course, but I expect it to last a lot longer than any lighter without refueling. I plan to never be without one again.

Somebody should buy the 1/2" x 12" and let me play with it.

The demo video, lighting vaseline + cotton while standing over it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8TJAXC9zQ

My BOB (very out of date photos) and my IFAK (no photos). Working on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

In case you are interested, here is another source for ferrorods. Firesteel Blank Rods I am a firm believer in ferrorods and have quite the collection stashed throughout all my gear. For the money, 3/8 is a good buy IMO. I did see some magnesium/ferrorod combo starters at Harbor Freight for $1.99 Magnesium Fire Starter

I recently built a new aluminum case for my Blastmatch. Improved Firestarter Design in case you are interested in some other firestarter threads.

I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 pm 

Got a couple of Badgers myself. You should check out the super striker they sell also. I find it much easier to do controlled, aimed sparks with it than with a knife. Very small and lightweight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 pm 

WhoShotJR wrote:
Got a couple of Badgers myself. You should check out the super striker they sell also. I find it much easier to do controlled, aimed sparks with it than with a knife. Very small and lightweight.

Seems like too much bulk for not enough function to me. And the back of the saw blade on my Leatherman Wave works wonderfully. Very sharp 90° angles.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bought a couple of the Harbor Freight magnesium firestarters. The magnesium is good, but it has some other drawbacks. The scraper looks like a piece of broken off hacksaw blade, attached with a loop of chain. It barely works at all to scrape magnesium shavings off the block. Also, the sparker rod is almost useless. I was not able to draw a decent spark with the hacksaw blade. I was barely able to make it work with my pocketknife. It looks like I used 10% of the striker rod to light one fire. Not good.

I picked up a Light My Fire striker afterwards and used that in conjunction with the HF magnesium block. It lights circles around the HF striker rod. Definitely a case of you get what you pay for. The magnesium block is useful but everything else is barely worth having. That being said, $1.99 is a fair price if you already have another "real" striker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 am 

I recently got a magnesium block and striker for my fiance. That IS a cut-off hacksaw blade. And yes, it sucks for everything it's supposed to be there for. I also noticed, showing her how to use it, that the ferro rod on hers seems to wear much faster than mine does, and mine is darn near 20 years old (infrequent use, don't get excited). It would seem that the quality of them has definitely gone down a few notches. However, for the weight and space, I like the magnesium blocks, coupled with a decent knife. Having a waterproof source of tinder right on the ferro rod seems a decent trade off to me for the extra weight of it. And it's magnesium- how much lighter do you WANT?

I plan on getting some ferro rods later on, but the magnesium won't be getting trashed till it's too small to hold onto. For the price, magnesium blocks are definitely a good way to learn how to strike a fire from sparks, IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
I also noticed, showing her how to use it, that the ferro rod on hers seems to wear much faster than mine does, and mine is darn near 20 years old (infrequent use, don't get excited).

Definitely. I think they are using some cheaper material on the striker. Does not seem like the same material as the one on my old one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 am 

Darxus wrote:
(I now have enough 550 cord).

Impossible.

I burnt through about 300 feet in 3 or 4 days last week. Still have more work to do, and about 600 feet headed to me. Scored nicely on eBay @ $20 shipped for it :D

Biggin wrote:
praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

This is another great source. From what I've learn all ferrocerium rods are a type of Mischmetal but every company and rod has their own properties like these "glob" molten iron more than a Light my fire or a mag/ferr block. Like the mag blocks rods wear out faster than a Scout LMF or other solo rod.
I like these best, good size options, prices are pretty good, and I think they strike best, after all what could set something on fire better than a molten glob of iron :D
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_pag ... 23d2c86ced

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=82581

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Last edited by Skull_Hide on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:49 am 

Tagged for reference...

Great stuff, people!

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 am 

I've had my eye on that site for a while now and one of these days I'm going to get around to buying one of those. I'm thinking either the 3/8" or 1/2" x 5" or 6" models. I have some hickory laying around that I can whittle a handle for it securing it with epoxy.

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:26 am 

Skull_Hide wrote:
This is another great source.

No, it's the same one this thread was started for :P

CLEAR CUT wrote:
I have some hickory laying around that I can whittle a handle for it securing it with epoxy.

I really like not having a handle. I can hold onto the thing just fine without it, and it's a lot less lumpy in my pocket.

Yesterday, when emptying my pockets, I found the top of my lighter. Only. :(
No idea how that happened, but it's nice to know it won't happen to my ferrocerium rod.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm 

the 3-for-$15 ones at s-g are not bad. The strikers suck bigtime though. make one from a piece of hacksaw or find another thing to use.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=421639
They're slightly smaller in diameter than the LMF army model... but also slightly longer than said LMF model. With a LMF striker i see no difference at all in the sparks or quality of the ferro rods. Price wise these are great for stashing. I throw a set onto almost every order.

Apollo-11 wrote:
Bought a couple of the Harbor Freight magnesium firestarters. The magnesium is good, but it has some other drawbacks. The scraper looks like a piece of broken off hacksaw blade, attached with a loop of chain. It barely works at all to scrape magnesium shavings off the block. Also, the sparker rod is almost useless. I was not able to draw a decent spark with the hacksaw blade. I was barely able to make it work with my pocketknife. It looks like I used 10% of the striker rod to light one fire. Not good.

I picked up a Light My Fire striker afterwards and used that in conjunction with the HF magnesium block. It lights circles around the HF striker rod. Definitely a case of you get what you pay for. The magnesium block is useful but everything else is barely worth having. That being said, $1.99 is a fair price if you already have another "real" striker.

True nerds check e-bay for magnesuim scraps...
:wink: http://cgi.ebay.com/22-pounds-scrap-mag ... ltDomain_0

As always, be careful of shipping charges when ordering bulk metal scrap.

KEEP AWAY FROM SPARKS UNLESS YOU REALLY,REALLY MEAN IT> http://cgi.ebay.com/4-LB-99-9-MAGNESIUM ... ltDomain_0

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Last edited by 111t on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 pm 

Just an FYI. I got my hands on a 30 gallon electric water heater a few years ago. I was using the tank to build a wood stove. Anyways, most water heaters use a 1/2" or 5/8" diameter magnesium rod as a sacrificial anode. If you know someone throwing out a water heater grab the anode rod. The one i got was about 18" long. i will never run out of mabnesium. It helps if you can get it from a new/newer heater, if it is too old the magnesium rod will just be a piece of wire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:59 pm 

111t wrote:
the 3-for-$15 ones at s-g are not bad. The strikers suck bigtime though. make one from a piece of hacksaw or find another thing to use.
They're slightly smaller in diameter than the LMF army model... but also slightly longer than said LMF model. With a LMF striker i see no difference at all in the sparks or quality of the ferro rods. Price wise these are great for stashing. I throw a set onto almost every order.

I got a pile of those, when they were on sale for 3-for-$10. Great ferro rods for the price! I agree about the strikers, though...they're garbage.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:52 pm 

molawns wrote:
111t wrote:

I got a pile of those, when they were on sale for 3-for-$10. Great ferro rods for the price! I agree about the strikers, though...they're garbage.

:shock: WUT. :shock: Sorry I missed that! Oh well. Good for you though!!!

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit