Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 pm 

Hi All,

So I looked at "pencil flares" but it appears they are a projectile. That's fine. But are there any products that act like a flare (like we keep in vehicles, cops use at accidents, etc) that are pencil sized?

A couple of these in a BOB, INCH, or Vehicle would allow you to easily fire start in wet conditions. PROS: lightweight, burntime, etc...

I'm not going to hump the fullsize flares in my bob, but maybe a few small ones.

Any ideas? And if so where can I buy them?

-Dave

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 pm 

While they're not pencil sized, you might want to try and locate a "Signal Flare/Campfire Starter kit" by Orion.

Here's a link...
(The first item featured is what I'm talking about)

http://www.orionsignals.com/Outdoor/pro ... gnals.html

I don't have that exact kit, but I have the third item down on that webpage (the Alert/Locate Signal Kit), and it's great. The kit comes with an aerial flare, smoke flare, and the hand-held flare/firestarter. It's a handy little signalling kit, and incredibly compact...much better than carrying around full sized hand-held flares. I picked up two of them from the Bass Pro Shops in Orlando, FL a few months ago. They're a relatively new item, but for some reason they had them on sale for $10 a piece. I think they normally go for around $20. I don't think Bass Pro sells them online, but I could be wrong. I haven't been able to find many places that sell them online, at all. Contacting Orion might help you find a local or online source.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 pm 

Molawns,

Thank you my freind.

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm 

what about the kind of flares divers use?

http://www.sailgb.com/c/distress_flares_pyrotechnics/

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Orion and others make small hand held flares about the size of a fat pencil. They do not require a launcher and are self contained. I have used them. They are not great, but they are better than nothing.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Signal+Kit

These are much better but obviously bigger and more expensive.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ute+Rocket

Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:51 pm 

every now and then you can find Walmart selling them in the camping/fishin area OR the Car area

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm 

Edit: Whoops I misread your post, I thought you where asking for a signaling flare. :oops:

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Last edited by VeniVidiVici on Sun May 09, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:56 pm 

Academy usually carries them, or any boat related store around you. The ones I have use a pencil looking thing for a launcher and you just screw the flares on the top of it I think. It's all packaged in a little tube.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:57 pm 

Autozone or such store. Full size but will start a fire in a heart beat.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:13 pm 

Some have not read the original post...
You are NOT looking for aerial flares.
You want something to light fires and use as a roadflare but smaller, right?

Try this...
First Item on THIS page.
Its a handheld marine flare. Cost ~$20 at Walmart, Sears, outdoor shops, etc.

I know its too big. So do this... (This works I just made four last week)
One end has a big red cap with a little black cap, thats the business end.
On the other end is a white plastic cap, remove this.
Place a dowel or stick down the tube (its mostly hollow).
Mark the stick, use this to mark on the outside.
Cut the tube about 1/4 inch below where you marked it. (closer to the white end)
You dont have to cut all the way through. There are two tubes the outer tube is fairly thin and waxy, it cuts easily. When you have cut all the way around just twist and seperate.
The harder inner tube is just there as part of the handle to make it stronger. your removing the handle part anyhow.
Replace the white cap (keeps it waterproof)
You now have a flare about 1 inch in diameter by 4-5 inches long that burns ~3 minutes.
Roughly the size of the red section in the photo.
Disclaimer:
THESE ARE NO LONGER HANDHELD FLARES!
AS SOON AS YOU LIGHT IT YOU NEED TO DROP IT SO HAVE YOUR FIRE BUNDLE READY FIRST!
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:52 am 

We get these at work: http://www.galls.com/goid/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=HS165

they come in boxes of 36 and you can get them with the stands or spikes.

Biggin wrote:
I still want to see this.... I mean, a dude weeping and fapping in the wild? Awesome.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Nim I actually just did that, and all I can say is that my right hand makes an even shittier ACOG than it does a vagina.

LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

This is pretty small.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 am 

Dave Carroll wrote:
Hi All,

So I looked at "pencil flares" but it appears they are a projectile. That's fine. But are there any products that act like a flare (like we keep in vehicles, cops use at accidents, etc) that are pencil sized?
A couple of these in a BOB, INCH, or Vehicle would allow you to easily fire start in wet conditions. PROS: lightweight, burntime, etc...

I'm not going to hump the fullsize flares in my bob, but maybe a few small ones.

-Dave

For those that didnt read the OP
He is NOT looking for aerial, rocket, or parachute flares.
He is NOT looking for full size road flares.
He is looking for a product that can function as a short stationary signal flare / firestarter.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:23 am 

Necrodamus wrote:
Dave Carroll wrote:
Hi All,

-Dave

He is looking for a product that can function as a short stationary signal flare / firestarter.

Reading comprehension is a bitch, eh Necro? :lol:

Oh well...the other responses in this thread just may help someone else (other than the OP) find something they were looking for.

I've heard about folks cutting down flares, but it seems too dangerous to me. Have you ever had any problems with yours?

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:36 am 

I have not tryed them yet.
I think they are the same thing you linked to, the ones in the link are just manufactured that way.

Compare my dimensions to the listed dimensions on your link and comparing burn times.

• Burns for 5 minutes at over 3400 degrees.
• Waterproof.
• Self contained ignition, no matches required.
• Great Day or Nighttime Signal.
• Weighs only 5 ounces
• Measures 5 1/4” Long, 1” Diameter

Necrodamus wrote:
You now have a flare about 1 inch in diameter by 4-5 inches long that burns ~3 minutes.

To clarify, what I describe is not cutting the flare.
Its cutting off a hollow handle that was designed so these could be light and still held in the hand.
They are for marine purposes because lighting a flare and laying it in a liferaft is a bad idea! :lol:
My idea is to neuter the handle so it could be struck then dropped.
Losing the weight and bulk of the "handle".

BTW thanks for the link, I knew they had made those before but I have not seen them in a while.
I think the assorted kit would be awesome. Covers pretty much every scenario.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:48 am 

An idea I thought would be cool would be to have flares the size that Ripley used in Aliens.
The basic concept would be an aluminum tube 3/8" in diameter by 6" long.
The tube would be filled with a flare compound with a high content of magnesium, iron dust and aluminum dust. The striker end would be like a regular flare tip, remove a cap and strike.
I guess you could call it a thermite match. The burn time would be short, maybe 5 minutes.
That would be one very hot flare though, and inextinguishable!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 am 

Necrodamus wrote:
An idea I thought would be cool would be to have flares the size that Ripley used in Aliens.
The basic concept would be an aluminum tube 3/8" in diameter by 6" long.
The tube would be filled with a flare compound with a high content of magnesium, iron dust and aluminum dust. The striker end would be like a regular flare tip, remove a cap and strike.
I guess you could call it a thermite match. The burn time would be short, maybe 5 minutes.
That would be one very hot flare though, and inextinguishable!

I think it would also end up pretty darned hard to hold on to as the aluminum tube conducts the heat back to your hand- aluminum's an excellent heat conductor. Also, unless you have a degree in chemistry, years of experience, or some other hugely qualifying traits, I'd avoid trying to "make" anything involving magnesium, or mucking about trying to make your own thermite. Which is illegal in most places, if not all, btw. Even if making your own thermite WERE legal, considering the current social.political environment, I'd be trying really hard to NOT advertise I even knew HOW to make what could be considered WMD's, bombs, or incendiary devices- unless you LIKE living in large groups and wearing blaze orange.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:10 am 

Roc has a good point about the handles. I would suggest using a wooden dowel for such a device soaked in a flame retardant. Not AS conductive, but a cheap and light alternative. Incidentally, I was going to suggest using a similar dowel in the aformentioned cut down flares. You can have several flares and one handle of about the same length and size, alowing you to insert the dowel into the leftover tube and hold the flare instead of just dropping it. Assuming you get it in there tight that is.

As to making thermite, it's lawful however your intent of use may be criminal. In California for example it is unlawful to manufacture, transfer or otherwise "dispose of" and incidiary with mailicious intent. (PC 12301) Basically this appears an after-the-fact bylaw to nail people for using incidiaries for burning/destroying things with a less than honorable intent. However, manufacturing, storing and USING an incindiary is not illegal when used appropriately/harmlessly. At least, I have not seen any such law prohibiting that.

Thank you guys for the links to all of the signal flares, I've been looking for options lately.

M1A/9mm/Green Wire/Pie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:12 am 

To clarify, Im talking about a firestarter. No different than a magnesium block from walmart, just something that is ready to light. Its not intended to be held. Anything can be misused.
Intent is an emergency firestarter that would ignite even saturated wood.

Last edited by Necrodamus on Sun May 09, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:18 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9487&familyName=Orion+Solas+Parachute+Rocket

Be advised, I very nearly started a fire with one of those. They are not what I'd call predictable with regard to direction of flight. We were using them reenacting, and the first one flew up behind us, illuminating our rear for the enemy, and pissing off the mortars. The 2nd one went up perfectly, so we assumed the first was a fluke. The 3rd one flew completely horizontally about 15ft off the ground, for an absurdly long distance and buried itself in some scrub, where it briefly caught, but thank god went out on its own. We put them away after that.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:05 pm 

Czechnology wrote:
Be advised, I very nearly started a fire with one of those.

Remember, most arial flares are designed to SOLAS/USCG specifications. For people who are acronym challanged, it means they are designed to be used over water. NOT land.

Before you think flares for land, unless you are trying to get through heavy canopy (oh, shit, canopy can burn), a bunch of flares that can be used exactly one time, even if they don't get any attention, is going to be similar in bulk to a fat assed D-celled strobe, and we have better. More modern strobes can run all night on a pair of AAs and be seen for a couple miles.

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:10 pm 

While that is true, the OP is actually looking for flares to be used for firestarting as well as signaling. So the AA or even D cell strobes wont be very helpful at that but then neither will the aerial flares. So far very few people have actually read his post.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:29 pm 

I'm surprised nobody posted them sooner:
maybe package them in a orange PVC pipe with a screw off cap and a bic taped to the housing.

The world is an onion made of spiderwebs.

"I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."
-Duke Leto Atredies

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Necrodamus wrote:
Dave Carroll wrote:
Hi All,

-Dave

So, what you're saying is he wants one of these, right???

:wink: :lol:

OT, I used to use these when I had my boat down in south FL. Back before I got old and crotchety, and moved to the woods. They work well, and have a lone shelf life. Hope this help! (Sorry Dan, had to!)

RIP Hk33k