Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:49 am 

I suppose a 28 Days Later "zombie" would starve as fast as a normal human. Maybe faster since they're all hopped up on adrenaline and probably not drinking either. But what about a "true" zombie? Would they starve, or would they simply rot?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:53 am 

With billions of people on the planet to eat what makes you think they could starve ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 am 

Well I think water would be the stopping factor so 3 days for a non-feasting zombie, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 am 

If it's all ready dead then why does it have to eat or drink at all ? It's a freakin zombie.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:40 am 

bonanacrom wrote:
If it's all ready dead then why does it have to eat or drink at all ? It's a freakin zombie.

+ 1

Viruses and prions can survive for years without food in the harshest environments, then spring to life and reproduce when the conditions are right.

Zombies might go "dormant" but expect them to become active when a food source is available.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:55 pm 

bonanacrom wrote:

Good point. So why do they feast on brains (or flesh, or blood, or whatever)? Also, wouldn't they need some sort of fuel?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:07 pm 

D-Train wrote:
bonanacrom wrote:

Good point. So why do they feast on brains (or flesh, or blood, or whatever)? Also, wouldn't they need some sort of fuel?

To multiply, just like viruses and prions.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:54 pm 

Ok, I'll buy that. But I still say they need some sort of fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'd say that since a zombie is still biologically a human (although a dead one) they'd still have somewhat normal caloric requirements (unless the zombification has somehow made them more efficient) so they would still have to have some sort of food intake to keep going.

So if a zombie doesn't eat enough - even if they never die - I'd think that some time in the future, without enough food, they would reach a point where they would no longer be able to function reliably.

I did some looking around on the Internet. In 1981 a series of prisoners in Northern Ireland went on a hunger strike. Ten of them died, one after 46 days, and some after more than 60 days. And this is with very limited activity under medical supervision.

I'm guessing that while maintaining any activity level that is normal in zombies (shuffling about, groaning, grimacing) after about a month or so, they'd just be twitching on the ground waiting for a brain to fall into their open mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm 

Zombies don't die from dehydration. They just get to dried out to move. But watch your ass, because as soon as it rains they get back up and run amuck all over again. They don't need to eat per say. They are hungry and eat. But since they are dead they don't digest anything. It just goes through them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 am 

On a related topic: how long would it take a zombie to rot? Assume they are, in fact, dead. All normal biological processes have ceased. How long until the literally fall apart? I'm sure some of that depends on the climate, but I figure their eyes would go fairly quickly and that would render them largely ineffective for chasing the living.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:19 am 

Now you have forgotten that zombies depend more on there sense of smell and hearing then on sight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm 

Are you sure? Because humans have a notoriously poor sense of smell relative to other animals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:54 pm 

Zombies can smell fresh brains from hundreds of yards away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm 

They are basically land sharks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 pm 

CitizenZ wrote:
Zombies can smell fresh brains from hundreds of yards away.

Based on what?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 am 

CitizenZ wrote:
bonanacrom wrote:

+ 1

Viruses and prions can survive for years without food in the harshest environments, then spring to life and reproduce when the conditions are right.

Zombies might go "dormant" but expect them to become active when a food source is available.
A prion has no senses, cannot move, in fact it cant do anything it is only bad because it can be used as model to fold other prion proteins (i prion is like a wall in the middle of the highway its only dangerous because its there and not because of what it does, which is nothing). A virus can't do anything outside a host, it can't move, it can't really sense its only bad that once in a host (a entierly passive process), if it finds a suitable attachment it can use its host to reproduce itself...
A zombie that can't sense or move needs no energy but is also no danger (unless you eat it). Physics dictates that energy cannot be created spontaneously (no perpetuum mobile of the first order), therefore any moving and sensing zombie requires energy, in fact energy input must be larger than output...

I for one would train Zombies to eat plants, due to the low iron they will feel constantly tired and be less a threat... Go vegans go...

Rule 9: Guns Are for Hunting, Not for Zombie Killing: When your running who has time to stop for bullets? Keeping a shotgun on hand is important but only when your pinned in and need a quick getaway. Its not a proper means for killing zombies as they run out of ammo and need reloading. Remember a Cricket Bat, or Toilet Lid do not need loading!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm 

A zombies is going to expend a lot less in calories than a living human being. A warm blooded mammal spends a huge about of calories just to maintain its own temperature. That is why cold blooded animals don't have to eat nearly as much. Zombies don't really have a temperature anymore. Take that on top of the fact that much of a zombie's life functions are no longer functioning, and therefore not using up calories. No beating heart, or enzyme creation, chemical balancing, etc. Heck, the human brain eats up about 25% of your calories on its own, and I figure a zombie brain is going to have a lot fewer working parts than a live one.

And who's to say that they need fuel anyway? With a dead body, normal cellular respiration has ceased (which is what makes them dead). If you insist that they need to eat for fuel you are getting close to breaking the definition of a zombie, namely that they are dead. What ever keeps a zombie moving, even after it's dead, may not be the same thing that animates a living human being.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 am 

It depends on how the zombies came about.

Bio-zombie (Rager): Still basically a human, only reduced to using the base animal part of the brain. It has been stated multiple times that there is no way for prions or viruses or bacteria to truly re-animate a corpse. They might take control of or alter a living host, but not a dead one. But the reduced brain requirements does have an effect. It would result in a reduced caloric requirement, as a good chunk of your calories go to your brain for higher functions. Still, the requirements of a metabolism would mean they would still need to take in food. I remember hearing that an average human can go a week (or thereabout) without any calories. That could be wrong. Then, they would probably last a few days to a week after that.

Techno-zombie (Borg): Since they're really just a robot built around a corpse, I'd say they wouldn't starve until their power runs out.

Paranormal-Zombie (Army of Darkness): What? You think that something that used magic or hell filling up to come back to life is going to starve to death? Nah. They can be as patient as they want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 am 

Rezz wrote:
I remember hearing that an average human can go a week (or thereabout) without any calories. That could be wrong. Then, they would probably last a few days to a week after that.

A human can live much longer without any calories. You'll burn up your own body wich is a lot of meat. The average time it takes to die would be more like 40 (source: school textbook) days. If someone is obese it could take even longer for him/her to die.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Marinus wrote:
Rezz wrote:
I remember hearing that an average human can go a week (or thereabout) without any calories. That could be wrong. Then, they would probably last a few days to a week after that.

A human can live much longer without any calories. You'll burn up your own body wich is a lot of meat. The average time it takes to die would be more like 40 (source: school textbook) days. If someone is obese it could take even longer for him/her to die.

Right; see my post above. But that's not 40 days of activity and then death; the last stages of starvation, when the body has consumed all the stores it possibly can internally to fuel itself, are really very lethargic. You can barely move. Read up on some of the concentration camp survivor stories about the effects of long-term malnutrition.

So I think that they would be able to go shambling about for a while before they hit the wall and go into some sort of zombie "hibernation" where they're not really completely dead, dump some Ensure down their throat and they'll be running about looking for brains again. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:28 pm 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
So I think that they would be able to go shambling about for a while before they hit the wall and go into some sort of zombie "hibernation" where they're not really completely dead, dump some Ensure down their throat and they'll be running about looking for brains again. :lol:

As I see it, zombies are only motivated by food, i guess they would go in hibernation when that's not around anymore. They would quitely stand, sit or lay around until someone came in close vincinity. And then: "Moan, you're fokked"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:41 pm 

They don't eat for reasons of biology, they eat to ease the hellish pain they are in. Thus, they do not starve to death (being already dead), they just get more vicious.

-KD0TCZ/AG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:47 pm 

Tater Raider wrote:
Thus, they do not starve to death (being already dead),

It doesn't matter if they're dead or not, everything that moves (be it humans, cars or zombies) needs an energy source.