Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

J&G Sales got me again...they have gotten in a shipment of police trade ins that include the venerable Model 15. These are blue, K frame, DAO, adjustable sight .38's. At $239 apiece I ordered 2 of them and for an extra 20 they will hand pick the two best pinned barrels for me. These will be tuned up and shot in competition this summer, in many of our combat shoots we allow BUGS so I will have to find leather for both sides. I am considering getting matching poly-ivory grips for them and having one scrimshawed Righty and the other Lefty :lol: . At any rate 2 of these are on their way....

Last edited by Absintheur on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm 

just got my first revolver from my father in law, actually its my wifes but she still hasnt shot it so its mine until then :). its a blued model 19. i actually like it more than i thought i would but dont want to shoot the crap out of it since it holds a lot of sentimental value with my wife.

at the prices listed on their website, i amy get one of these to keep as a shooter. may put off getting the .22lr conversion kit i was looking at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I saw J&G had the trade-in 67's and I had to just throw the flyer away; it's like dangling crack in front of an addict.
Every time I go to the range some smart-alec pipes up about my old school revolvers and how they thought nobody shoots those anymore. Then I let them shoot my 67 and they are always amazed at the accuracy. I rub salt in by mentioning that the gun is 30 years old and will last many more decades, then I wonder aloud how well the plastic pistol, that they are currently enamored with, will endure the next 30 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Man, that is a good price! If I had a license and the funds...

My Dad has a Model 65 in .357 and it is a joy to shoot. The sights are dead on, thankfully, since they are fixed. It also has the recesses for the case rims on the cylinder, a feature that was don one some the of the older versions.

This also was a police trade in that he bought for $160, but that was 15 years ago or so.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies.
And when the catch you, they will kill you.
But first they must catch you."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 pm 

Wouldn't mind a DAO (bobbed hammer) 4" RB 64. A revolver like that should be .357, but one could do with .38 Spl. +P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Everyone has the revolvers hitting their shelves right now...Dad bought a 64 and a 67.

Quote:
I saw J&G had the trade-in 67's and I had to just throw the flyer away; it's like dangling crack in front of an addict.

Like I needed 2 more revolvers...lol...and this is just one safe and about half my revolvers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 pm 

Subrosa71 wrote:

Every time I go to the range some smart-alec pipes up about my old school revolvers and how they thought nobody shoots those anymore. Then I let them shoot my 67 and they are always amazed at the accuracy. I rub salt in by mentioning that the gun is 30 years old and will last many more decades, then I wonder aloud how well the plastic pistol, that they are currently enamored with, will endure the next 30 years.

How are the USPs and Glocks from the 1980s holding up?

JamesCannon wrote:
First they came for the cough medicine and I said nothing, because my throat hurt.

Code:
A65864
Opn U  Pro D  Rev U
Ltd U  L10 C  SS  U
http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/db_lookup_class.cgi?number=a65864

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm 

Funny, I was just thinking about posting a similiar thread.

I had my Model 10 and my Model 13 out today. I wasn't at the range: I just wanted to take a look at them and oil them up again.

My carry gun is a S&W Model 65 with a 3" barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

[/quote]How are the USPs and Glocks from the 1980s holding up?[/quote]

I can’t give specifics, I don’t have them. Will a polymer frame structurally degrade over time, yes it will. How much and at what rate will correlate to round count, exposure to harsh chemicals, and UV light. Am I saying polymer frames suck and should be avoided, no; modern stable polymer should last longer than a human life span with minimal care. Most pistols are designed for a life expectancy measured in rounds, as in 20,000- 50,000, not years. Steel frames have their problems too: stretching, oxidation, and rust are a few. I personally think steel pistols hold their values better, and I like them unless weight is an absolute factor. I just like to dish back some crap to those who feel the need to denigrate people (or their revolvers) around them in order to bolster their own esteem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Absintheur wrote:
Like I needed 2 more revolvers...lol...and this is just one safe and about half my revolvers.

It’s good to see others that have my disease. It makes me feel less abnormal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:01 pm 

Subrosa71 wrote:
Absintheur wrote:

It’s good to see others that have my disease. It makes me feel less abnormal.

You revolver addicts SICKEN ME!!!!!!............ please please let me be sick with you! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am 

So can you run +P ammo through these?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 am 

I carried a S&W Model 15-4 (4") Combat Masterpiece for six years before my department switched to SIG's. With another agency I carried my own Colt Trooper Mk. III .357 Magnum (6") that I had tuned and custom blued. It pained me when I had to sell it due to a divorce. I love the .357 Magnum caliber and never felt under armed with my Colt. (It helped that I carried 4 speedloaders with it. :twisted: )

As for S&W K-Frames, I like the Models 15 and 19 but the older Models 10 and 13 with the tapered barrels not as much. We has some Model 13's with 4" bull barrels that looked good but by the time I joined the department they were pretty shot out. The K-Frames are all reliable weapons able to handle .38 Special +P loads but I wouldn't trust them to handle +P+ or .357 Magnum (i.e. Model 19) all the time without them wearing out quickly.

If I can swing it I would love to pick up one of these Model 15's from J&G. I've been thinking of getting a wheelgun that my youngest daughter can train on. It would be a big step up from the .25 ACP Raven she shoots now. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:05 am 

Istvan56 wrote:
With another agency I carried my own Colt Trooper Mk. III .357 Magnum (6") that I had tuned and custom blued. It pained me when I had to sell it due to a divorce.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Damn, that sucks.

Anyhoo, I might have to pick up a Model 15. Would be a nice addition to my humble arsenal.

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Istvan56 wrote:

If I can swing it I would love to pick up one of these Model 15's from J&G. I've been thinking of getting a wheelgun that my youngest daughter can train on. It would be a big step up from the .25 ACP Raven she shoots now. :P

I would be hard put to find a better wheelgun to train with. I learned on a Police Positive starting when I was 10 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 pm 

My Model 10 2" snub is the best gun I own, period. Sweeeeet trigger, too. Smooth as a baby's bottom :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have owned a couple of snub 10's but once I got my hands on my Model 12 the 10's just didn't hold my attention anymore...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 am 

I was going to order one of the Model 15s, but bluing is too easy for security guards and police officers to scratch the hell out of. I got one of the Model 64s and it is absolutely beautiful. The exterior was in excellent condition (it's hard to mess up stainless steel) and the inside was all brown and goopy, I thought it was rust. I degreased it and the gunk came right out. There was a small amount of surface rust inside (what do you expect from a gun that is a few decades old) but it came off with ease and now the gun feels like a brand new S&W.

The K-frames with the firing pin mounted on the hammer represent some of the best years of production, and are much more valuble to me than the $700 new guns made with cheap parts that come with an internal lock.

This is a fantastic deal, get 'em while you can.

Edited to add:

I've been carrying this for a few weeks, it's very comfortable inside the waistband with a proper belt.

Last edited by RatDrall on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Summit also has good deals on Colts, they have old model Detective Specials and both new and old Cobras, a couple Official Police. They also have some nice looking Police Positives. I haven't seen these being offered at these prices for a long time, if you are in the market I would hop quick on these. Same with the Smiths from J and G...if ya snooze ya lose!

btw...the Diamondback is sold...I already tried to buy that one...lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm 
BANNED

I LOVE K frames! I own 2 police trade in model 10 bull barrels (square and round butt), a model 19 and two model 15's. Gotta love cops who sell great guns for $50.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 pm 

Absintheur wrote:
Summit also has good deals on Colts, they have old model Detective Specials and both new and old Cobras, a couple Official Police. They also have some nice looking Police Positives. I haven't seen these being offered at these prices for a long time, if you are in the market I would hop quick on these. Same with the Smiths from J and G...if ya snooze ya lose!

You got a link to the Colt's at Summit?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 pm 

Here's my carry gun: A S&W Model 65 with a 3" barrel.

And here's my carry load: Federal .38 Special +P 158 gr LSWCHP.

Last edited by Trebor on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Trebor wrote:

You got a link to the Colt's at Summit?

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/ and click on Colts in the menu on the left...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:28 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I so want a Smith just like DeNiro's .38 in Taxi Driver

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw