Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm 

I have a small horse trailer that fits two horses and I would like to convert it into a camper/BOV. It has been about three hours and I have not found a place to buy factory camper parts. I am more than likely going to make everything myself for this project. Do any of you have any ideas, concerns, pictures, or examples that would benefit me? My main concern is water and power. I have searched for RV sinks and apparently there are hand pump faucets but I am not so sure it is just that simple. I plan to have about 10-15 gallons of water. A gas generator will be mounted on the front of the trailer. Electrical appliances used will be lights and a small fridge. (Pics soon to come)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:22 pm 

Check around you area, there may be a place that sells used trailer parts. I know of one place near me that does. You can get whatever you are looking for from them. Other stuff, like closets and stuff you can build yourself with a couple tools and ingenuity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm 

Yup This idea is dead lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 am 

FFRob wrote:
Yup This idea is dead lol

Don't let your idea die. People live/camp in horse trailers all the time. You'll just have to get creative with it. Check out current livable horse trailers, and modify the designs to your needs.

Hell, the hard part is over. The trailer is already built. :D

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 am 

For water. Hang the bucket either strapped against the wall or just straight mounted, this way you can let gravity do the pumping for you.

Storag. You might want to check local garage sales for plastic or metal shelfs or even containers. You can mount these against walls and the floor so they dont go flying.

Seating/bed. Have a plank fold down from the wall, use cable or chains to support it once folded out. This will also save space.

Power can be as easy as hooking up a second battery to your car to charge and just run one or two bulbs to light up the trailer. Paint the inside white so the light reflects well off of everything.

Does the trailer have windows or just cut outs? Fiberglass roofing is cheap and can be made into widows.
Window tape seal can work great around doors, or even some long rubber pieces screwed to the corners of the doors.

i dont think you need factory camper stuff. IMO you can improvise and save more money by finding used item taken from a home remodeling.

El que quiera ser mi amigo mi mano le brindo yo
Pero si quieren problemas a sus ordenes estoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:07 am 

Making a sink would be fairly easy also. You just need like a large plastic bowl drill out the center for your drain attach plastic drain pieces (seal really well) and pipe your drain out the side or bottom of your trailer. I would think that the Electricity would be fairly simple just run your wires from a battery that can either be charged from your car or make up a small version of a wind generator that will recharge your battery as you drive down the road or even a solar panel on the roof of the trailer. The space saving idea about the bed folding down is a great one. You have a really good idea with doing this you just need to sit and think about what you can do your self.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am 

Also, as far as power goes. Use 12v lights, fans and such. Grab a 110v to 12v converter out of a junk trailer, or source one out new. That way your basic needs, light and ventilation can be simply switched over easily. I say this plan over simply getting a 12v to 110v power inverter, because it'll be harder on the car batteries and the inverter to power everything. What if you have a cloudy day, and you're using a solar charger, and the batteries don't get a full recharge? You'll need to run the vehicle to power everything. This wastes gas, and makes noise. Both of which will be very important as a BO/PAW/Camping experience. Also, very important, do not attempt to run a 12v to 110v inverter on a partially discharged battery. You will ruin the inverter. :x

Wire your plug-in receptacles for 110v. That way you can limit the power draw, and only use these accessories when needed. Think of "power vampires" in you home. Electronics that still draw a low voltage, while waiting to be turned on. These can add up, and stress an already fragile system.

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:20 pm 

Get a pop up or cheap beat up camper for cheap on craigslist. Harvest the propane system and water system. You can snag the lights and all kinds of stuff to perform your build. Sell the trailer frame when your done.http://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/1459055377.html I used snap together like a puzzle foam tiles from Costco for flooring. They are basically the same thing as camping pads only tuffer. You could even glue the panels on the walls for insulation.