Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:48 am 

I would prefer not to get into a pro/con Mini-14 discussion... I love mine, and nothing you can say will make me love it any less.

The one I had 'access' to as a kid and fell in love with was a factory folder, and I really miss the folding aspect and have decided to get ahold of a folding stock.

I generally prefer wood, but I refuse to pay $400+ for JUST the stock for this option:

I think that $400 could be much better used elsewhere in my preps... So I was looking at this:

And while I prefer wooden, I dont really mind this option even though it is a bit tacticool for my tastes, anyone have experience with this stock?

Quote:
http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_Ruger_Mini_14_Strikeforce_Package_RUG_2200.cfm

ATI Ruger Mini-14 Strikeforce Package RUG 2200

Thanks for the opinions and feedback.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:01 am 

man that woodstock looks sweet I love my mini as well with the orignal folder style I bet it would be a mean looking sbr.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:14 am 

From personal experience- if you're wanting a folder, a telescoping stock just won't scratch that itch.....

Keep looking, says the man with a pile of close-but no cigar AK stocks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've had a choate locking folder for 25? years. The bulter creek ones are very similar.

Next to a taken down AR:

What's key to me is that it locks very solid, both in and out. When it is folded it, it stays put, and when it is out you get a full stock feel from it.

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:53 am 

Well even Ruger is putting thier new "tactical" Mini in that stock straight from the factory, so its probably an OK stock. Personally though, I would get a BC Folder if I wanted it to fold, they have a great reputation. Otherwise the factory stock or a Hogue synthetic would be my choices.

If you haven't alreadey, go over to Perfect Union and look around as they have a HUGE mini-14 fan club.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:10 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Obviously the factory wood + metal folder is the most badass looking thing out there, but if you're finding 'em at $400 and up, yeah, I'd be reluctant to pay that for a stock for just about anything.

ATI is total garbage and should be avoided like the plague. Multiply this exponentially when you're talking about a folding stock; their mechanisms are huge, giant, ugly pieces of shit. Even if they do function fine, which I doubt, they're ugly as shit.

Choate is good. Not quite as pretty as the factory underfolder but probably just as, if not more, practical. If you want a folder, I'd go Choate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:14 am 

I'd just save up for the factory original folder.

Yeah, it's more expensive.

But if that's what you really want, you probably wont be happy with a collapsible stock, and the other folders may not please you either.

Get what you want the first time, rather than three or four stocks trying to get what you want, only to buy the factory folder in the end anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

TravisM.1 wrote:
I'd just save up for the factory original folder.

Yeah, it's more expensive.

But if that's what you really want, you probably wont be happy with a collapsible stock, and the other folders may not please you either.

Get what you want the first time, rather than three or four stocks trying to get what you want, only to buy the factory folder in the end anyway.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm going to reverse myself and agree with Travis here.

The Choate would be perfectly functional. But, as Travis says, it probably isn't going to "scratch that itch."

I'm not a huge Mini-14 fan; I'm usually among their detractors. But, even I drool when I see someone with that underfolder on there. So, I think you should save up for that underfolder, if for no other reason than you can make Mini-haters tremble. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have a Butler Creek folder for one of my Mini-14. It works well and I can recommend it. They are widely available for about $100.

Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm 

I've had Butler Creek and Choate. I prefer the Butler Creek. Unless you're a big A-Team fan, it'll work for most things that one would want a folder on a Mini for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:56 pm 

Mine came with the Butler Creek, but the wood at the bottom is the original stock. I've had it going on 9 months now and still haven't shot it. The 10/22 at the top has since been put in a Tapco stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 am 

hmm I wunder if you could modify an orignal wood stock with say a romanian wirefolder and a pistolgrip??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm 

I put a Butler Creek folder on my mini-14 and was very pleased with it. IMO, the Butler Creek stock is better than the factory folder from a usability standpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 pm 

I pity the fool who won't cough up for an original Ruger folding stock!

:lol: (Sorry, I had to...)

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:01 pm 

Shit, that factory folding stock will make a Mini-14 so accurate you'll be able to lean out of a moving van, fire from the hip one handed while smoking a cigar, and shoot out the tires of a moving car.
It also creates a force field that prevents bullets from hitting you, even though they're being fired from scoped bolt action rifles from a supported position.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:11 pm 

TravisM.1 wrote:
Shit, that factory folding stock will make a Mini-14 so accurate you'll be able to lean out of a moving van, fire from the hip one handed while smoking a cigar, and shoot out the tires of a moving car.
It also creates a force field that prevents bullets from hitting you, even though they're being fired from scoped bolt action rifles from a supported position.

the A team never actualy SHOT anyone else. they always shot the tires or the ground around the people. the only person to get shot is BA Baracus every now and then, but he was fine by the next episode

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 am 

like I mentioned above about fitting an Ak folding stokc and pistol grip to a wood stock I found a video that shows my genral idea.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwUwDOL2mU8&feature=related

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have that ATI stock it is very wide so if you are looking for a folder to take up less room that is not the one you want but it also is a collapsible stock and the adjustable cheek rest is nice if you decide to scope it.