All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Pistol Lanyard?
yes 33%  33%  [ 24 ]
no 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
maybe so 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Pistol Lanyards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:38 pm 

i know they arent at the top of the "TACTICOOL" list but i mean in a SHTF situation...

so my question to ya'll: if the SHTF would you rather have or not have a Pistol lanyard?

that being said i think it might be useful to a point but i could see it getting hung-up on a lot of shit.. so i'd say yeah in the right situation..

I take up arms to defend what all Americans hold dear: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Grant me the strength to live according to these ideals, the courage of my convictions, and the resolve to endure whatever dangers threaten. With you at our side I fear no evil and resist every enemy.
Amen.

Post subject: Re: Pistol Lanyards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:47 pm 

If I don't need to shoot something, it's securely holstered.

Sig_Ocelot wrote:
Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:49 pm 

i say yes if you can loop the lanyard into say Pals loops so its controlled when the pistols not employed.

i actually have been trying to find a lanyard loop for my Sig.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:52 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

No. One more thing to snag. If you have a good holster and are in control of your firearm it shouldn't be necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 pm 

Hoppy wrote:
i say yes if you can loop the lanyard into say Pals loops so its controlled when the pistols not employed.

i actually have been trying to find a lanyard loop for my Sig.

they make the coiled bungee ones.. those seem like they'd be the best option..

and my thing is yeah i'm good about being in control of my firearm but what happens if the situation changes and i dont have control of it all of the sudden.. see what i mean seems like it'd be a good idea at least for a BOB

I take up arms to defend what all Americans hold dear: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Grant me the strength to live according to these ideals, the courage of my convictions, and the resolve to endure whatever dangers threaten. With you at our side I fear no evil and resist every enemy.
Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 pm 

No thanks. If SHTF, then the last thing I need is to be in so many gun fights that I need an extra retension system. Battle fields yes, SHTF no. The best battle is to not be in one.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:22 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I think there are situations where a lanyard would come in handy. I have one for my glasses, binoculars, camera, etc. I do not always use them but I like the option of having one available.

Link to The Street.Com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:28 pm 

i dummy cord everything. I have a lanyard loop on my 92, and it isn't too much of a problem.

"God does not punish us, he gives us challenges and opportunities to kick ass. If God is angry, it is because we are pissing and moaning and whining and not kicking ass. Go forth, and kick the shit out of the zombies, amen."

DavePAL84 wrote:
I'm a floral dress wearing, mojito drinking kinda gal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 pm 

retractable, nothing hanging out to snag. i've never dropped my pistol but have seen guys in a hurry or under stress just not get it all the way back in the holster and in a full run it bounced back out. for you guys that say you have control, you need to try grabbing all your shit and going while being shelled or shot at. and if your holster does'nt hold your pistol in while it's upside down and thumb strap open then you might need a lanyard. not for everyday, but imagine the SHTF and your on the move buggin and fall while running from zombies. you don't want to either have to go back for your weapon or find out later that you dropped it and now it's gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 pm 

Options... I have multiple types of hosters for my pistol and multiple types of slings for my rifle; so I have a Tactical Tailor bungee/phone cord type lanyard. If I have to be around water or helicopters I like having one attached (regardless of holster type)...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:32 pm 

EDC? No.

SHTF? Yup.

I wanna be able to flee with confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:35 pm 

Situation would dictate for me.

Around water, (fishing for me, I don't do any 'huah' stuff around water) I wouldnt mind one.
For bugging out, I wouldn't mind one. If I loose mine on a hike or even fishing, yeah that sucks balls (speacially cuz my fishin gun has lately been a SW Pro Series Model 60) but I still have more go-to guns at home. Bugging out, not so much to go back to.
Durring my time in the desert, I never used one, didn't like it. I also carried in a SERPA mounted on my vest. In a drop leg I was a little more open minded toward them.

Funny story. My patrol was flaged down by a little kid in southern Iraq. He was all pointing a frantic and shit. We thought "IED" but really it was just my buddies M9 dangleing out the door of a HMMWV getting banged up on the ASR. He was using a Safariland drop leg.

Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I like them, I use them for pistols that have lanyard rings. For the ones that don't, I adapt and over come.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm 

I would use one if I were allowed to own a handgun here in Swillinois.

I remember Dave making a thread about DIY Lanyards he whipped up using old cell phone chargers. I thought it was a pretty slick cost alternative option versus going the Blackhawk tacticool route.

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:21 pm 

I have always wanted a lanyard for the magazines, but I have not got around to making some,
as for the gun, never thought about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 pm 

I've always felt that you either like something or you don't,pistol lanyards included.I only own one pistol and that's a Russian Nagant M-1895 which came with a lanyard.If the gun comes with one I may use it,but I'm not going to go out and drop some of my cash on something which is basically a bungee cord for your gun.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm 

I was not a huge fan of lanyards till a few weeks ago when during a tactical shooting class one guys M9 fell out and was dragging behind him. That was dangerous for the rest of us standing there as it was loaded and fire :shock: (AF way of carrying), but in combat it would have been so much better than losing it all together. So I think I will be using one now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Lanyards only get in the way...

Until you need them.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 pm 

I do not use one, and have never used one unless forced to by unit sop. In most cases where you need a pistol you need it urgently and any delay getting it into action could be fatal. I personaly do not know of any cases where a lanyard has saved the day, although I am sure there are a few. I also feel that most of the quality holsters being made today sufficiently minimize the risk of losing your pistol enough to make the risks of using a lanyard outweigh the benefits.

Having said all that a lanyard is not a piece of equipment I feel strongly about. If some one were to make me start useing one tomorow, I would bitch a little ,but it certainly would not be the end of the world .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:40 pm 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
A good, retractable or coil lanyard is a nice thing to have, IMHO. As someone else said, if I'm anywhere near water or in a helo, I definitely want a lanyard; no matter how good you are, you can screw up and drop your pistol, and that is the opposite of good.

Also a good idea if you're traveling by vehicle; dropping a pistol and having it bounce out of a truck at 60 mph would be almost as bad as dropping it off a dock. When you're on foot and dropping the pistol would just mean having to pick it up, then you can always disconnect it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:41 pm 

Ive though about getting one mostly because my motorcycle is my main transportation, i worry that if i drop the bike the guns going to slide 500 ft down the highway and some kid or criminal, (or greedy bastard :D ) will get ahold of it.

My EDC holster doesn't have a retention strap. I wear a chain on my wallet for the same reason.

Does that seem like a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I've had a pistol slip out of my hand while cramming myself into a ditch and trying to find a grenade. It was immediately covered by loose dirt, and the lanyard saved me a few seconds of frantic scrambling. I also saw someone knock a pistol out of their hand by turning quickly in an enclosed area, and the lanyard did stop the pistol from hitting the ground, though it bounced into his balls. From that experience alone I recommended everyone else in the unit use a lanyard, just to increase the likelihood I'd get a good laugh.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:39 am 

OK well I guess for people that don't have a loop on their pistol (me) how would you go about so you can attach a lanyard?

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:42 am 

nimdabew wrote:
OK well I guess for people that don't have a loop on their pistol (me) how would you go about so you can attach a lanyard?

what kind of pistol do you have?

edit, FNP-9?

find a back strap with lanyard loop. they used to offer them i think.

Last edited by Hoppy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.