It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:32 pm 

This is the kind of bare-bones survival kit that is intended for uses such as being stranded in a lifeboat. They're not really intended to enable you to feel strong enough to be able to paddle or swim or really contribute to your own rescue in any meaningful way. It is intended to keep your heart beating and your lungs pumping air, with hopefully enough presence of mind to keep from falling out of the lifeboat. If, for you, "survival" consists of simply not dying for six days, then a kit like this would have served the need. Most of us, in a true survival situation, will not be hitting on all 8 cylinders like we normally do. Probably very few of us have missed more than a meal or two. Aside from feeing pangs of hunger (which can be distracting) there is the fact that you become light-headed, easily distracted, have difficulty concentrating or working with anything complex. This can cause you to make mistakes which cause loss of equipment and material (such as tipping over your water container) or injuring yourself (a bad thing in normal times and a disaster if it happens during a crisis situation). Being dehydrated can cause similar kinds of issues, as can lack of sleep. You will not have the strength and endurance you normally have if you have not eaten. The danger here is overestimating your ability such as, you would normally be able to lift this heavy item or perform that strenuous task, but because you are weakened with not eating, you slip and drop the heavy item or slip or misjudge something during the task.

Most of us, our "survival" plans hinge on us having the same abilities we have now in this time of normalcy. We would do well to imagine we are ill, maybe injured, short on sleep, and 3 days without food. For instance, that thing you can remember now off the top of your head, no problem? Might be good to write it down in the form of simple instructions, because when you need it it might be just beyond your mental ability to recall. And reducing strenuous tasks so that someone with half your physical abilities can manage them all right. Such as, dividing that 50 lb container into two 25 lb containers. That way, if your physical abilities are compromised, you will still be able to get the job done, or even delegate the task to someone without your strength (young person or petite woman).

Great item, BTW and thanks for sharing! Put me in the "don't open the cans" choir.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:11 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Alchemyguy wrote:
Geez, don't open them. I'm a big fan of scientific exploration, but that's for the old can of peaches you find cleaning out your grandmother's pantry when she passes on, not for such neat conversation pieces as these.

Geez, open them and give us a taste test!

They arent much of a conversation piece unless you have the story about what 50 year old peaches look like.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 pm 

Chef wrote:
That's an interesting apocollectible you have there, Das.

Apocollectable. Startlingly brilliant win! Respect.

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 am 

thats pretty cool, now you should go out and find a new one. and compare the differences :D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:33 pm 

Those are the same cans of water that we carried onboard Coast Guard Cutters, in our lifeboats and life rafts back in the 70's and 80's.

pop one gently with the heel of your hand from below coming upward,,,if you hear a "click", the water inside is still good. If a sloshing sound or silence, the water has gone bad.

Try it out.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks for sharing; that's pretty cool.

das wrote:
Interestingly, the house did not have a fallout shelter or bunker..

Wouldn't it be a hoot if you stumbled on an underground bunker on your property?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:58 pm 

When I was a kid a friend of my grandfathers who owned a gun/ sporting goods store aquired some of that water... I think he said it came off of a destroyer from the 50's. I wanted to see what the insides looked like so we cracked one open. The inside of the can was foll of nasty red rust water. The lining in the can hadn't stood the test of the years and had given up allowing the water to rust the inside of the steel can

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:43 am 

That is really cool!!! Thanks for sharing pictures. I love to see old CD & prep stuff from 50's & 60's.

If that was mine I wouldn't open it either! Keep them sealed up & intact.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 am 

rpc wrote:
I don't think they make them any more, so if you want a guinea pig to taste test the old Hershey Tropical bars, I can probably be talked into it. My insurance is all paid up to date, so what the heck.

You would think a big corperation like Hershey's would be dusting off the recipe and cranking those out right now....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 am 

what........ no lucky strike's

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 am 

mega-hertz wrote:
what........ no lucky strike's

This is a Mormon firm in Utah. :roll:

My folks had cans and cans of Perma-Pak canned food stored. I "inherited" it when they moved from Utah back in the early '80's. It was 20 years old or so and I dared to open some of the dehydrated corn, dry packed wheat, etc., cooked it and ate it. Needless to say it it was not a pleasant experience when it came back out. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:17 am 

Get the Andrew Zimmerman to try to eat that stuff on TV!!

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-revi ... ndrew.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am 

Nice i found 2 of these once in my friends basement. They were metal and had simular things to yours in them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:27 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 pm 

This has to be one of the best first posts ever! Bravo!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 pm 

Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool item.

Several of the food storage outfits have, over the years, offered something along this line of 72 hr pacs or 'weekender' food packs.
Rainy Day Foods (Walton Feed) offered a 2 person, 3 day package in 3 cans - you were to do all the cooking in the cans. Just food, all other needed items were up to you. 3 days of dried granola and soup isn't much, but as noted elsewhere, it did help pass the time - even if you were still humgry.
Their current 72 hr kit is 165 USD, and I could not find a detail listing of what is carried for food, likely Mainstay bars.

Pemmican is actually a pretty good foodstuff.

I found this site dealing with exploration - it has a recipe for rolling your own pemmican.

From the site:
Pemmican was basic nutritious food that also had the added advantage of remaining edible for years though it is not terribly appetizing. It was often made up into a thick meat soup when simmered with melted snow known as "Hoosh", this was eaten with butter-laden sledging biscuits.
and
Amundsen believed the pemmican he chose for his team made a crucial difference to their success. It included both berries and dried peas (the later particularly containing necessary B-complex vitamins, without which their diet was entirely devoid). Scott's was a meat/fat only type. That the death of the latter and his companions was complicated, if not hastened, by scurvy (and probably beri-beri - see the research by Hunstford with nutritionists on this issue) is now accepted and well-known - although the British authorities such as the Royal navy and Geographic Society did their best to hide it at the time. It reflected poorly not only upon Scott's choices but also on the persistence of obsolete theories and poor sources of information and knowledge throughout these institutions - a dangerous heresy during WWI. The considerable propaganda surrounding Scott was to propagate a hero-myth by insisting they succumbed to nature's forces by bad luck and not by poor preparation, questionable leadership and the inflexibility and absurdity of the Navy's cleaving to the outmoded tradition of man-hauling.

This BBC history site goes into detail on the food and gear of both parties, well worth for read for us even today.

THis site is from a fellow that provided the food for a flim about the 'Race to the South Pole" using original food. Again, very intersting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:48 pm 

The booklet said the best fallout protection was 3 or more feet of earth!

Dammit those zombie movies LIED!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:59 pm 

Fantastic Post!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:24 pm 

Vintage Survival Rations for the WIN! :D

thx for sharing your really cool find!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm 

I have a tin of Civil Defense Survival biscuits -419 to the tin.Dated October 1962, the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. I keep it with my cold war memorabilia. I tell my kids that I am certain they are edible. These biscuits are as described, and they are the same when they were fresh. If you ever had the misfortune to eat C-rations, the anti-personnel crackers in them were the same thing.
The reason I am certain they are edible, these are also called Hardtack and have been issued to the military since before the Civil War. The US Cavalry was still eating Civil War hardtack and salt pork when they were chasing Geronimo in 1880s. If those biscuits were edible when packed in a wood box, the ones I have in that tin are pristine by comparison. By the way, the ones the Army ate were so full of weevils they were called wormcastles...
Google hardtack and see how universally loved it was by the soldiers of World War 1 and earlier conflicts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 pm 

It would seem Yukon biscuits can still be had.
http://store.allinonepreparedness.com/yukon-biscuits-25-can-3266.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:13 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Very nice! count me in with the don't openers...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 am 

Awesomeness! I wish I had one of those as a manipulable when I was teaching my Cold War unit to the kids. As it was, I had to make do with a CDV-700 and a thorium mantle. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 am 

What, no Pip-Boy in there? :wink:

Very cool stuff, I love the sort of Cold War era apocalyptic survival items, like in the movie City of Ember.