Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 am 

Looking at the Savage Model 10 or possibly a model 11 in .308

I picked out a scope, now I'm going to need some mounts for it. I want mounts that will hold zero if the scope is taken off. What's my best option? I understand the necessity of spending more than $20 on the scope mounts, but I don't want to spend $200 either.

Then I need to find some rings...

painiac's Essential Guide to Concealed Carry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 am 

Just based on my own experience with using various gear, I would be comfortable recommending a Ken Farrell base with ARMS 22(?) throw lever rings.

I have never used throw levers on my precision rig, I use TPS lows instead. There are no irons on my Savage so if the scope eats it, well, that's it for precision at long range for me! But I have used the ARMS throw levers on other stuff...solid.

.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 am 

Nobody else has any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 am 

What do you think of this one?
http://www.opticsplanet.net/dnz-dednutz ... mount.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 am 

Well, it's for a rimfire...to be honest with you it looks up to the kind of punishment a rimfire would dish out and not much more to me.

If I were you, I would be looking for a big, solid picatinny or weaver rail to bolt down to the top of your rifle, something that looks and feels like it will never budge, no matter what.

Then I would put a solid set of rings on that.

A savage 10 is a very accurate rifle. If you want to get the most out of it, you will want to ensure your optics are locked down HARD.

This is something like what I use:

That will give you a good solid base for optics.

.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 pm 

I have a Leupold one piece mount on my model 10. I really like it. It is very solid. The only bitch was having to send it back the first time because they sent the wrong mount. Apparently, some model 10's have a flat receiver, whereas mine is rounded on top. So if you go that route, be sure to get the correct one the first time. I also have Leupold rings. They "lock" onto the base by a quarter turn. Then the scope is layed in, and the rigidity of the tube holds them in place. This allows you to add additional adjustment to zero by tightening or loosening the rings. It is a tedious process, but it seems very solid and I am happy with the results.

Oh squiggly line in my eye. I see you there lurking on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you do you return to the center of my eye? Oh squiggly line it's all right you are forgiven.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 pm 

misanthropist: you're probably right. That would be why it's so inexpensive. Your picture isn't showing for me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:26 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Ive got a set of Leupold bases and rings, the quarter turn kind. It's solid as hell. I don't take them off though.

You're getting a model 10 or 11 with iron sights on it? Good on you.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:06 am 

crypto wrote:

That would be my preference, but their catalog doesn't show such a thing. The model 10 and 11 are listed as not having sights, with the exception of the scout model.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:14 am 

Any solid one-piece base should do nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

painiac wrote:
crypto wrote:

That would be my preference, but their catalog doesn't show such a thing. The model 10 and 11 are listed as not having sights, with the exception of the scout model.

That sounds about right. Whichever model you go with, if you want a QD scope mount on a non military gun, I'd go with the Leupold QD scope bases:

[img]http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_710517_imageset_01?$main-Medium$[/img]][img]http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_710516_imageset_01?$main-Medium$[/img]]

I hate putting military hardware like a ARMS mount on non-military-pattern guns, the Leupold system works really well, and is pretty inexpensive. ($50 from cabelas for the base, $40 for the rings.)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 pm 

If you want to save a few bucks look at the Savage/Stevens line. You won't have the accu-trigger with these but they come with Iron sights for the most part. BTW I have the Savage scout and love it. It replaced my lever gun in the truck. Just as quick handling and more accurate. Not trying to hijack the thread, just putting info out there I thought you could use.

Keep your knife sharp, trust your instincts, and howl often.

The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.