Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:52 pm 

I am doing some research for my FAK and it sounds like the izzy bandage is a must have. I am curious about the 2 expiration dates on the back of the package. There is a sterile date and an expiration date. Most of the ones on ebay tend to be very close to their expiration. I was wondering why there would be a sterile date, if the item was sterile when packed and the vacuum seal is unbroken? Also, can the bandage be used after the expiration date? Put some sterile gauze and then cover with the izzy? And finally, I would appreciate any suggestions about a reputable dealer and a reasonable price per bandage.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Fuck the expiration date.

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:21 pm 

Doc Simon wrote:

Roger that.
The date's just to cover the company.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Agreed. If it ain't opened, it's GTG. Try looking through the links at the "Where to buy medical stuff" thread; I know for sure Chinook Medical, as well as a few others have them. This will give you an idea of the retail price. Then check Ebay for deals.

RIP Hk33k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 am 

Sweet! That make a lot of sense - I didn't understand how something that was sterile when packaged and remains in a sterile environment could then mysteriously lose its sterility???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:23 am 

I was at a trade show a couple of years ago and I ask a bandage manufacture why they had an expiry date. He said that’s how long they will guaranty the plastic wrapper to stop contamination. Apparently after time the wrapper can degrade and become porous to bacteria / viruses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:41 am 

Quote:

Brilliant in it's simplicity and so very true.

Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Still though, an emergency dressing need not be sterile, just clean.

Remember, you're not providing definitive care and sealing up the wound forever, you're just trying to get to hemostasis until your patient gets to a doctor. The first thing they'll have to do is remove all your hard work then irrigate, clean, debride, and actually treat the injury. The fact that you didn't have a sterile dressing on there is of little consequence, as long as it's not covered in dirt and poop.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:26 pm 

crypto wrote:

Remember, you're not providing definitive care and sealing up the wound forever, you're just trying to get to hemostasis until your patient gets to a doctor. The first thing they'll have to do is remove all your hard work then irrigate, clean, debride, and actually treat the injury. The fact that you didn't have a sterile dressing on there is of little consequence, as long as it's not covered in dirt and poop.

Big +1

Don't sweat an expiry date, the fact that it was sterile at one point is good enough IMHO.

TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

crypto wrote:
The fact that you didn't have a sterile dressing on there is of little consequence, as long as it's not covered in dirt and poop.

Eeeeew! Poopy Dressings, FTL! :lol:

Oh yeah, and QOTD'd.....

RIP Hk33k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm 

toocaffeinated wrote:
Sweet! I didn't understand how something that was sterile when packaged and remains in a sterile environment could then mysteriously lose its sterility???

The same way that a helium balloon goes flat in just a couple of days -- the helium molecules are smaller than the elastomer that the balloon is made of, so they leak out.

Medical packaging, no matter how intact it may appear, will still allow transfer of microscopic organisms at some rate. Granted this process may take several years before any appreciable amount of foreign matter has entered the packaging, but eventually it will reach the point that the manufacturer is no longer willing to claim that the item is sterile.

crypto wrote:

Exactly.

People often fail to realize that whatever is was that created the wound in the first place most likely wasn't sterile, so as long as you don't make the situation worse, you're doing no harm.

Jim

My Wilderness Ditch Kit

My STOMP II Medical Pack and ACLS Module

"Death awaits you all, with nasty big pointy teeth"