Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:38 am 

Has anyone ever done this and does anyone know a good resource for cleaning an armadillo?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

No, I have never done this for 2 reasons:

1) no armadillos in my neck of the woods

2) article on the prevalence of leprosy among armadillos... :shock:

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm 

I've been reading about the leprosy it is contracted by consuming under cooked meat, as long as you cook the armadillo thoroughly you will not contract leprosy. The thing is I live in Florida and they are abundant. I know people hunt and eat them I just haven't talked to anyone who has. I am mostly interested in the cleaning process. They are easy to hunt, being practically deaf and blind, my culinary skills are up to the task, but cleaning them is outside of my experience realm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse
This whole business about armadilloes and leprosy is largely overblown. Yes, they can carry the disease but the number of infected animals is very small as a whole. There is an extremely small occurence of leprosy in North America. Most humans have a natural immunity to the bacterium.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:09 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

My great-grandfather raised 10 children in the depression, and they called armadillos 'Hoover Hogs'. Basically, pull it from the shell and cook it.

The armadillo to human transmission of leprosy is not proven, but there are very few lepers in the south USA who had not handled an armadillo within a year of when they contracted leprosy.

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 pm 

Fried armadillo has been a favorite of Florida Crackers for more than 100 years. The easy-to-catch animals provided meat for many a pioneer household. They got the nicknames "Hoover pork" and "possum on the half-shell."

Some good ol' boys say it tastes like pork, though the cleaned carcass resembles a skinned rabbit.

When cleaning an armadillo, try not to cut into the digestive organs, as the strong-smelling juices can contaminate the meat. Many people parboil the meat and trim off all fat, which gets rid of any wild game taste.

RECIPES

ARMADILLO AND ONIONS

1 armadillo
11/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 c. flour
3 tbsp. fat
3 lg. onions, sliced
1 c. sour cream

Soak meat overnight in salted water (1 tablespoon salt to 1 quart water). Drain, disjoint and cut up. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, roll into flour and fry in fat until browned. Cover meat with onion, sprinkle onions with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour in the cream. Cover skillet tightly and simmer for 1 hour.

ARMADILLO MEATLOAF

11/2 lbs. ground meat
2 eggs, beaten
1/8 c. dry crumbs
1 c. evaporated milk
1/4 onion, minced or grated
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Soak meat overnight in salted water (1 tablespoon salt to 1 quart water). Remove meat from bones and grind. Mix thoroughly with other ingredients. Place in meat loaf dish. Place dish in pan containing hot water. Bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees for 11/4 hours to 2 hours.
__________________From Veggieboards.com

Travis, I thought it would be bigger.
Reeearrr!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm 

[/imImageg]

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......................

Reeearrr!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm 

That there 'dilla looks Delicious! Thanks for the recipes. Have you ever been armadillo hunting or do just eat road kill???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm 

cougar1578 wrote:
That there 'dilla looks Delicious! Thanks for the recipes. Have you ever been armadillo hunting or do just eat road kill???

I wouldn't eat roadkill, unless I hit it myself... you don't know when the last time someone washed their car.... :wink:

The Teachers Lounge, a free online forum dealing with issues in today's schools.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 pm 

Quote:
I wouldn't eat roadkill, unless I hit it myself... you don't know when the last time someone washed their car.... :wink:

They always look like they are just sleeping on the road.The hardshell must keep them intact after impact. If they dont smell too gamy they should be fairly fresh. I am having a little dilla problem in my yard and have plans on repaying him or her for the 200 plus holes that I have in my yard. I never see them just lots and lots of holes. Bastards need killing and I will try my traps this weekend and update any results good or bad.There is no bag limit and you can kill them year round..................

Reeearrr!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 pm 

cannondale126 wrote:
Quote:

They always look like they are just sleeping on the road.The hardshell must keep them intact after impact. If they dont smell too gamy they should be fairly fresh. I am having a little dilla problem in my yard and have plans on repaying him or her for the 200 plus holes that I have in my yard. I never see them just lots and lots of holes. Bastards need killing and I will try my traps this weekend and update any results good or bad.There is no bag limit and you can kill them year round..................

Are they 'dillo or mole? Big holes = armadillo. Little hole = mole.

This Is Me Surviving (another serialized story)
Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men (Asteroid Strike)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm 

Big holes. I have moles also but there are a couple of areas that are worn under my fence where they are going through. My neighbors garbage cans all have holes chewed through the lower areas that he thought were caused by racoons but he said he saw a dillo in the yard eating the garbage.i will stake it out and see and i should have some luck with the trap

Reeearrr!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 pm 

No problem with eating armadillo, but the other aspect of the armadillo is the possibilities of using the hard sections of the skin as a natural armor plating of sorts.

Stuff like shin gators. elbow pads, knee pads, ect. Worth thinking about if your gonna kill it use as much of it as your able to.

Miles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:49 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Armadillos make a noise all out of proportion to their size when coming through a palmetto thicket-- sound like a damn tank.

Quote:
the other aspect of the armadillo is the possibilities of using the hard sections of the skin as a natural armor plating of sorts.

Stuff like shin gators. elbow pads, knee pads, ect. Worth thinking about if your gonna kill it use as much of it as your able to.

I bet you could get a lot of money for that sort of stuff from the SCA crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse
Chef wrote:
Armadillos make a noise all out of proportion to their size when coming through a palmetto thicket-- sound like a damn tank.

Quote:
the other aspect of the armadillo is the possibilities of using the hard sections of the skin as a natural armor plating of sorts.

I bet you could get a lot of money for that sort of stuff from the SCA crowd.

No, you really can't. We hammer out our own stainless steel in the backyard. Infinitely superior to armadillo armor.

If you have an earthworm bed around your property, that's like an armadillo buffet.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:32 am 

Armadillos look to much like opossums for me to think about eating one. But as far as cleaning them, it would be the same as cleaning any game animal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:32 am 

Chef wrote:

Same with those little lizards. I swear I'm out pulling weeds in the hedges and hear this mess going on in the oak leaves and I'm positive I've run into another snake. :roll: Then out pops this little lizard doing the head bobbing thing and I feel like a dang fool. :oops:

At least I don't yip if they jump on me. I've had a couple of people tell me they are scared to death of the lizards because they remind them too much of small dinosaurs. What the heck to alligators make them think of?! :lol: :lol:

This Is Me Surviving (another serialized story)
Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men (Asteroid Strike)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:54 pm 

I just recently watched Bizzare foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel channel the other night and they were down in Mexico. One of the dishes he ate was Armadillo. He said that it tasted good, but a little gamey, but it was definently a food he would eat again. So i would say that it would be a good food, but they didn't go into a whole lot of detail on how to prepare it. If you are wanting to try it, i would suggest to search for that show and watch it and maybe get some tidbits from it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm 

bonanacrom wrote:
Armadillos look to much like opossums for me to think about eating one. But as far as cleaning them, it would be the same as cleaning any game animal.

Opossum isn't that bad, just a little greasy.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am 

My brother in law lives in Brazil and really likes Armadillo. He had a big smile on his face when my wife was talking to him about it. I'll ask if there are any secrets to prep and cooking. If there was any chance of illness she would have told me right off the bat and said her brother was crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:44 pm 

Cool I found a bunch of recipes on line but one from somebody who loves it would be better. I crossed paths with an armadillo over the weekend they sure are funny little creatures.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

mlbfanatic0317 wrote:
I just recently watched Bizzare foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel channel the other night and they were down in Mexico. One of the dishes he ate was Armadillo. He said that it tasted good, but a little gamey, but it was definently a food he would eat again. So i would say that it would be a good food, but they didn't go into a whole lot of detail on how to prepare it. If you are wanting to try it, i would suggest to search for that show and watch it and maybe get some tidbits from it.

I don't trust half the stuff that crazy bastard eats. His show is like an unholy union between Fear Factor and Passport to Great Weekends.

But seriously, he does eat some interesting stuff, and I gotta give him credit for choking down food that you KNOW is really triggering his gag reflex. And some of the foods look downright tasty. The piece he did in Spain, where he was at the shop with that huge selection of ham really got me drooling.

For those of you that have experience with armadillo, just how gamey was it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am 

I grew up on the Texas Gulf coast. We would catch armadillos by hand at night. You grab them by the tail and quickly lift them. Careful of the digging apparatus, they will scratch the hell out of you.

We would cut them up like rabbit and grill 'em or pan fry them. IIRC, they tasted closer to jackrabbit than cottontail.