It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:49 pm 

I'm planning to hit Walmart and stock up on a few cases of Top Ramen. Anyone have any advise for long term storage? The thin packaging would deteriorate over time and exposure to air would surely lessen the life of the dry noodles. Would vacuum sealing a food grade 5-gallon bucket work, or would it just pop all the individual packages? I figure metal containers would be best for any foods packaged in plastic or paper, to avoid rodent/insect infestation. Was thinking surplus ammo cans, but they seem like over-kill. Maybe I'll try vacuum sealing a whole case of ramen in one of those bags made to compress bedding for storage. They seem pretty heavy duty. Guess I'm just thinking out loud here, but give me some suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:16 pm 

Just chuck it in an airtight container and add some of that cheapo oxygen absorber if you're feeling like it. You probably won't need it though, foil packages kept in the dark and dry are more or less fit for eternity.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:17 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I think the main potential problem with ramen is the oil content. The noodles are fried before packaging so they will soften without a prolonged boiling, and some of the grease remains in the noodles. Under normal conditions, the oil will turn rancid; I've had ramen go bad before. I doubt it would kill you, but it certainly tastes bad. I wouldn't buy any I didn't plan on consuming within a year or so. Make sure to check the expiration dates!

Pasta is pretty frickin' stable. As long as you keep moisture and vermin out, it'll last indefinitely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:54 pm 

I read recently that Nissin is coming out with a "lite" ramen, which isn't fried in oil. I wonder what that does to the calorie density? Thanks for the info though, maybe I'll only buy two cases instead of many.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:54 am 

I definitely agree with Chef on this.

Some sort of air tight storage may extend the life of your ramen, but, left in original packaging, they defintiely start to taste a bit off within about a year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:58 pm 

I just started to consume Top Ramen after storing it for 2 years - just to get rid of the old ones.
Still tastes ok to me, but I'm no gourmand.
Stored in a cool basement pantry. No special preparations.

However, I boil the ramen then get rid of the water I boiled it in. I then use vegetable stock to serve the ramen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:00 pm 

Long term Rasta storage? I think they're... well, smoked. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Top Ramen, if I recall correctly the "flavor Packet" is super heavy in sodium which is not good for the old heart, might want to have an alternative to the "flavor packet"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 pm 

Itoz wrote:
Top Ramen, if I recall correctly the "flavor Packet" is super heavy in sodium which is not good for the old heart, might want to have an alternative to the "flavor packet"

Unless you're one of us desert dwellers. The summer heat can quickly sap your body of electrolytes and susch, thru means of sweat. If the scenario is one with no electric power, then guess what, no A/C. Now you're sweating your mother fucking balls off, which likely means you're losing salts. So those flavor packets might just come in handy.

Never did sling load that Gama Goat.

Image You can't stop the signal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:17 am 

I don't eat ramen, but regular pasta is almost as indestructable as dry beans. Just keep it dry and away from bugs (bugs don't eat dry beans) and it should last nearly forever.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:14 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Isn't ramen pretty much nutritionally useless?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:59 am 

Unless you have a totally secure fresh water source, I would keep foods that don't need water to prepare.

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Last edited by goblin on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:26 pm 

What about purging the storage containers with Co2? Does that work?

Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:29 pm 

wow. here i've been spending most of my time in the gear section, when contingency planning is where it's at. i'm glad everyone has had so many great replies to such a mundane subject. Let's see, first:

I'll have to watch out for oil content. Keeping a supply of oily foods on hand would be smart short-term planning, but I'd have to keep it rotating.

I imagine those little foil "spice" packets will last MUCH longer than the ramen, so maybe the wise thing is use up your bullion or dry spices in the ramen first, while hoarding the little foil packets. In time, even those once worthless little packets could almost be currency.

I should definitely look into regular dry pasta in bulk. I used to work at a natural foods store that got whole wheat spaghetti is 30lb boxes that we filled the bulk bins with. Maybe I can find a distributor. Ramen, however nutritionally lacking otherwise, does have a high calorie density. And though one couldn't survive on ramen (or bread) alone, while burning LOTS of calories preparing your stronghold for the waves of undead attacks, a high calorie supplement to your normal rations would get you through the days without depriving your body of much needed fuel.

If you don't have access to a clean water source, you're in more trouble than not being able to cook your ramen. (clean) water is life. it's off topic, but access to water is one of the main reasons I've hesitated moving out west. water rights in the west are going to become one of the main issues facing our country in coming years, just you watch and see. If someone can invent those "Dune" water collectors (cheaply), you'll be a rich man.

and last, I considered Co2 or Nitrogen purging, but it might not be cost effective in small scale. Maybe if you're a welder or scuba diver or someone with easy access to inert gasses, but just the tanks costs like $100.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:47 pm 

If you have friends in the food industry most have access to co2 from soda mixing they might let you have a few rounds for free. :mrgreen: I purged some 5 gallon buckets back in 1999 with co2 by filling up the bucket and then lower a match to test for o2 and if it goes out you know how much you need for the rest. I never ate the suff I packed though. So I don't know if it works.

Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 pm 

Jvandenhaus wrote:

Outide of carbs and calories, pretty nearly. They've got some minerals and nutrients, but not enough to sustain for long term. I look at it as being there to supplement my stock so I can stretch it that much further. It's a rediculously cheap source of carbs, sodium, and calories. Cook up some beans and pop a multivitamen in the morning, and you're good to go.

Never did sling load that Gama Goat.

Image You can't stop the signal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:50 pm 

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emer ... al_lid.htm
gamma seal lids on 5gal bucket with nitrogen purge. flood the container with nitro to displace the oxygen.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/info ... vation.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:39 am 

Itoz wrote:

When I cook ramen, I usually use half the seasoning packet, a small dash of soy sauce, some rice wine vinegar and a bit of sesame oil.

I don't keep large quantities of sesame oil on-hand, because it goes off in about six months in this climate, but, the soy and vinegar are both storage items I keep on-hand.

With a box of tetra-packed tofu and some veggies stirred in, it's not a half-bad lazy meal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

scottiej wrote:
and last, I considered Co2 or Nitrogen purging, but it might not be cost effective in small scale. Maybe if you're a welder or scuba diver or someone with easy access to inert gasses, but just the tanks costs like $100.

You should be able to get dry ice for around $1 a pound. Dry ice is pure carbon dioxide, and is heavier than air. It's the easiest and cheapest way I know of to purge the air from your mylar storage bags. Just don't do it in a poorly ventilated area or a small confined space....because it can kill you.

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:04 pm 

I store dried grain, and can turn it in to pasta any time for tasty fresh whole grain pasta.
whole grain stores for a very long time while holding nutritional content (just a thought)

be careful if you pack foods without oxygen, it can get botulism if the moisture content it high.
I would recommend a silica gel package as well as the O2 absorber to keep the moisture down.

also, the O2 absorbers take quite a bit of air out of the air,
so if you put one in a 5 gallon bucket, it will crush the bucket, also 5 gallon buckets are to some degree moisture permeable.
my point is that it is easier and better to use mylar bags.
I was thinking about getting the bigger ones here
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/stockziplock.html
but I don't need 250 of them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:30 pm 

Molon Labe wrote:
Jvandenhaus wrote:

Outide of carbs and calories, pretty nearly. They've got some minerals and nutrients, but not enough to sustain for long term. I look at it as being there to supplement my stock so I can stretch it that much further. It's a rediculously cheap source of carbs, sodium, and calories. Cook up some beans and pop a multivitamen in the morning, and you're good to go.

It's got a few grams of protein as well, iirc (not a lot, but protein's good stuff in any quantity). I don't have any in the house at the moment or I'd look.

Edit: /slaps head ... google... 5g protein, 7g fat, 190 calories, and 26g carbs for most varieties of Nissin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:58 pm 

Most people find it gross, but I like to eat the ramen without cooking it.

Start by crushing the contents. I find a slow press against the table is better than a punch/hit as punching will cause the bag to burst. When you have broken all of the chunks to smaller than a dime, open the top and pull out the seasoning packet. Pour it into the bag, seasoning to your heart or desert's taste. Fold the top a few times to create a seal. Shake vigorously to mix up the packet. Be sure to finish with it upside down, as the seasoning tends to sift to the bottom.

Open and enjoy. Keep a canteen handy as it'll make you thirsty. To me, it's a lot like barbeque chips. You can eat it on the run and don't need to cook in a pinch.