Kukri for $20-30 48%  48%  [ 26 ]
SP8 for $50 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
SPAX for $70 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Woodman's Pal for $80 28%  28%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 54
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:57 pm 
BANNED

Jeriah wrote:
If you're chopping down trees, splitting firewood, or doing anything else that involves turning big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood, get yourself a real axe or hatchet. I have a Gerber Sport Axe and it splits kindling like nobody's business. The Woodman's Pal, which I also own, was decidedly inferior at this task. It could be done, but it was frustrating, involved a lot more baton work.

If you're cleaning game, making spears, whittling, cutting soft materials, etc., get yourself a normal, fixed blade knife. I have a Cold Steel SRK and it's ideal; a Ka-Bar is good, too.

Ask Mr. Right Wing what Khukris are good for; I hear they're good at everything and he swears by them, but the only one I own is a piece of tourist shit and doesn't really do much well.

The Woodman's Pal is probably best suited to clearing brush. It can chop through small branches way better than a machete, and can tackle light brush in a way a hatchet cannot. You CAN split wood, carve spears, etc., with it, but there are better tools for those jobs.

I have no experience with the SPAX or the SP8, but typically my experiece has been that tools that try to do too many jobs well, end up doing all of them badly.

Exception: the Leatherman Wave can do many, many tasks very well. But you can't chop with it, nor should you use it as a hammer. So, multitool + hatchet?

Amen brother- A leatherman wave is an essential piece of kit.
Anyway, it looks like your looking for a heavy hitter. I live in Florida, so I'm dealing with brush clearing and softer wood most of the time. A full size machete is a great choice for that. For the harder wood, I highly recommend Estwing axes. Both are highly effective combat weapons. I imagine an axe would be more useful for an urban or northern enviornment.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 pm 

G.I. Jarhead wrote:
Here are my reasons for the SP8:

1. Thick and wide enough to use as a prying device.
2. Heavy enough for serious chopping work on wood or similar materials(or as a meat cleaver for dressing game).
3. The flat side can be used as a makeshift hammer.
4. Saw back.
5. In a pinch it could also make an adequate digging tool due to the flat, squared blade.
6. The flat, but sharpened tip is also good for scraping or gouging work.
7. It costs less than the Spax (even wholesale which is how I get them).

Keep in mind that I have yet to test all these possiblities with my SP8, but fully intend to get maximum use from this particular tool. I also look on it as more of a tool than a weapon, though I'm sure it would be formidable in a fight. I view my kukri as more of a weapon than the SP8 and the Spax to me will simply be a more versatile alternative to a tomahawk (once I actually purchase it).

I can vouch for the SP8's beefyness, I Also can say that I would like to carry it because it is very easily carried, the sheath is great, espically because it can be strapped to a duty belt, and carried very easily. the square tip makes it useful for many things that would break sharp tipped knives. I live in an area close to a city so the prospect of carrying a prybar + knife that is less than two pounds and that be strapped to a duty belt is very appealing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 pm 

To me, the main advantage of the SP8 over other machetes is the ability to dig with it. You cant do much heavy duty digging, but it is perfect for digging a cat hole or a small fire pit, and those are the digging tasks most often done in the field anyway. It works perfectly for the tasks that I most often use it for, cutting branches, making kindling for the fire, and digging cat holes.
I'm sure other tools work better for the tasks that others have to perform, but for me the SP8 is great. The only thing I might prefer is a Spetsnaz machete.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:27 pm 

if your just clearing brush try the Fiskars/gerber brush axe I love this thing

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/store ... e=products

they can be had at walmart for around 20 bucks

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:12 am 

Sorry to get slightly off-topic, but that Fiskars/Gerber stuff is pretty good. I've got a sliding saw (they call it a pruning saw I guess) for backpacking, it's light, tough, and cuts like a motha.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-PowerTooth-6-Inch-Pruning-9259/dp/B0000950Q1

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/gerber-sportsmans-wood-saw.aspx?a=522695

nnmnu1 wrote:
if your just clearing brush try the Fiskars/gerber brush axe I love this thing

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/store ... e=products

they can be had at walmart for around 20 bucks

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:26 pm 

Shmeg wrote:
To me, the main advantage of the SP8 over other machetes is the ability to dig with it. You cant do much heavy duty digging, but it is perfect for digging a cat hole or a small fire pit, and those are the digging tasks most often done in the field anyway. It works perfectly for the tasks that I most often use it for, cutting branches, making kindling for the fire, and digging cat holes.
I'm sure other tools work better for the tasks that others have to perform, but for me the SP8 is great. The only thing I might prefer is a Spetsnaz machete.

Got pics of the spetsnaz machete?