It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:36 pm 

Does anyone know where I can find a "Sniper" style stock for a Remington 710? I've found several replacement stocks but not what I'm lookin for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 pm 

Did you try Brownells of Midwa yet? I would look there first, and if you can;t find one there try the manufactures sites directly like Butler Creek or who ever. Also, I thought that the 710 was a stripped down 700 ( I know this osunds crazy) thqt you couldn't find parts for. I was told not to buy one because if you wanted to put an atermarket barrel on there you couldn't due to how it was attached to the reciever.

Is the 710 the one with the grey synthetic stock and all of the plactiv parts on it?

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:55 pm 

Yea, its the one with the grey synthetic stock. I like it because its flat shooting, reliable and cheap. Plus, it comes with nice optics. I'm debating on making it tacticool or just biting the bullet and buying a "tactical" .308.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:18 pm 

In the end, you'll be a lot happier buying a rifle worth making tacticool from the start. Savage has some nice tactical rifles, like the 10BPLE, and you can get a Remington 700 ADL synthetic from Wally World to build a tactical rifle off of cheaper than you can typically find a barreled 700 action by itself.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Well since he already apparently HAS a 710...it's never BAD to get another rifle, but why spend money you don't have to when you can get a stock?

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm

I don't see a 710 but they might make one. Prices are reasonable.

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com Custom blades and historical costumes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:24 pm 

foo

Last edited by xringmick on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:55 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

That depends on who you are, your research, experience with tools and approach.

I've built a number of sub MOA platforms from bare receivers.

Changing a stock is not a custom build. It's changing a stock. Inletting and bedding isn't very complex.

action and barrel work is a bit more involved.

It also depends on what you want. If you shoot 3MOA, a sub MOA rifle doesn't help much. Changing a stock can give better ergonomics, a slight improvement in barrel geometry, and is easy to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:09 pm 

foo

Last edited by xringmick on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Ergonomics plays a part, too.

I can shoot an antique Mauser much more comfortably/efficiently with a modern stock. Whether or not it's considered a "sniper" stock for marketing doesn't really matter.

I agree a stock change won't make a sniper rifle. But it can make shooting more pleasant and accurate.

Besides, how many of us are actually going to be "snipers" even with a $20K weapon platform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 pm 

I picked up a couple 710's when they were $199 at Sports Authority. They are decent rifles for the price, but putting more money into one is a poor investment. When I was young and stupid, I looked at the right now price and ignored the total cost of ownership. The 710 is a cheap rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to throw one in my trunk and not worry about it. Once sighted in, the accuracy is reasonable and consistent.

I've put a $70 stock and $60 scope mount on a $99 SKS. In retrospect, I got perfectly usable bolt action rifles with scopes the less than I spent on making the SKS more hunting rifle like. Sure, the 710 isn't semi-auto, but I probably wouldn't have put the extra money in the SKS if I compared that to what else I could do with the money.

Savage rifles are very good for the money. I have a 110FP from before they started putting better triggers in them and have no problem getting groups smaller than a quarter at 100 yards, with me behind the trigger. I make no claims of being a strong marksman, so that level of accuracy meets my needs nicely. I've had nothing but good experiences with Savage rifles and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone who doesn't have the money/inclination to buy the current incarnation of the Remington 700 PSS.

I'd recommend that you keep the 710 as it is and save up your money for what would really make you happy. I have stocks and barrels sitting around as a testament to the times I bought something that wasn't what I really wanted. However, I never seem to be deeply concerned that I have nice rifles, and ones that I wouldn't hesitate to take hunting in the rain, all of which are complete and I can pick up and use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:08 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Of course, I have a $130 MISP surplus Remington 870 with $600 of ACOG and $400 of AR stock conversion on it.

Hey, it wins in the "looks evil" category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:38 pm 

I know a very capable and talented long range shooter who did all his own work the stock of a Remmy 700: bedded it himself, then glopped a whole bunch of bondo on the comb of the stock andaround the grip. After it dried he got out the disc sander and fit the stock to himself. Shoulder it, girnd a little bit, shoulder it, grind a little bit more, maybe go to the range, fire a few, come home and grind some more.

He never painted it either. Still has this ugly, bubble gum pink crud on it, and swirl marks from the sandpaper...

But he hits targets at 1300 yards, which is what a 300 mag is supposed to do.

You go to the range to shoot, not for a fashion show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:16 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

It shoots 2" groups at 50 yards with slugs. That's as good as a smoothbore gets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:18 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

xringmick wrote:
Trying to piece-meal a precision rifle really doesn't work. You wind up spending more money and have less performance than if you would have saved-up and purchased a "complete" rifle.

Eh, that's kind of a generalization on everyone else's skill set isn't it?

I didn't start building AK's just to save money (although I have saved a lot of money doing so at this point), I started building AK's because I like the satisfaction of doing something myself and I love projects. I heard a lot of naysayers when I started building, a lot of, "Why don't you just go out and buy a WASR? It'll cost less and probably work better". I thank God I didn't listen. Same thing with AR's. Same thing with modifications to my pistols ("Why don't you just pay a gunsmith to work on your 1911's trigger?")

Currently, I have a money pit bolt-action that I'm slowly doing small things on. Yeah, I could just go out and buy an FN SPR and be done with it, but I like the journey. I have a good time planning out the project and doing my own glass bedding and installing ceramic pillars and deciding how thick of a barrel I want and should I change the caliber and what kind of scope and what kind of mount etc etc etc... I could never have this much fun if I just saved up and purchased an FN SPR or something similar.

But I'm mechanically minded and not everyone is. For some people, purchasing the rifle they want instead of building one up is aok. Myself, I'd rather have a good DIY project.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:34 am 

DavePAL84 wrote:
xringmick wrote:
Trying to piece-meal a precision rifle really doesn't work. You wind up spending more money and have less performance than if you would have saved-up and purchased a "complete" rifle.

Eh, that's kind of a generalization on everyone else's skill set isn't it?

I didn't start building AK's just to save money (although I have saved a lot of money doing so at this point), I started building AK's because I like the satisfaction of doing something myself and I love projects. I heard a lot of naysayers when I started building, a lot of, "Why don't you just go out and buy a WASR? It'll cost less and probably work better". I thank God I didn't listen. Same thing with AR's. Same thing with modifications to my pistols ("Why don't you just pay a gunsmith to work on your 1911's trigger?")

Currently, I have a money pit bolt-action that I'm slowly doing small things on. Yeah, I could just go out and buy an FN SPR and be done with it, but I like the journey. I have a good time planning out the project and doing my own glass bedding and installing ceramic pillars and deciding how thick of a barrel I want and should I change the caliber and what kind of scope and what kind of mount etc etc etc... I could never have this much fun if I just saved up and purchased an FN SPR or something similar.

But I'm mechanically minded and not everyone is. For some people, purchasing the rifle they want instead of building one up is aok. Myself, I'd rather have a good DIY project.

No.

If someone is of sufficient skill-level to build a true "precision" rifle, I doubt that they are going to start with putting a sniper stock on a Remington 710. If you had read my previous posts, I stated that starting from a receiver, barreling the action, etc. etc. is not "piece mealing". It is building a rifle with proper planning from the outset.

If you want to build a precision rifle, the Remington 710 is not best action to start out with. I don't think you'll find any skilled gunsmith (particularly not any known for building precision rifles) that would recommend you put additional money into a Remington 710; they will tell you to purchase a new/used Remington 700, Savage 110, Winchester Model 70, or any one of a myriad of other actions.

If he is interested in learning the process for working on his own firearms, fantastic. Again, the Remington 710 is not the rifle to use. For one thing, you can't rebarrell the thing. No need for further discussion. I don't see a point in learning "how to gunsmith" on a rifle that really wasn't intended to to "customized" in any way.

I'm not knocking the Remington 710, or questioning the poster's decision to purchase one. I am stating that if he is looking for a precision rifle, the Remington 710 is not going to fulfill that role and it is not logical for him to spend money trying to do so.

If he is looking to learn more about working-on/accurizing rifles, the Remington 710 is again not the proper choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:33 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find a "Sniper" style stock for a Remington 710? I've found several replacement stocks but not what I'm lookin for.

Where exactly does he say he's building a sniper rifle?

He says he wants to find a "sniper" style stock.

I tried to answer his question with a couple of potential sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 am 

mzmadmike wrote:
Quote:

Where exactly does he say he's building a sniper rifle?

He says he wants to find a "sniper" style stock.

I tried to answer his question with a couple of potential sources.

Right here:
WTF?_Over wrote:
Yea, its the one with the grey synthetic stock. I like it because its flat shooting, reliable and cheap. Plus, it comes with nice optics. I'm debating on making it tacticool or just biting the bullet and buying a "tactical" .308.