Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 pm 

I've had this bag for little over a year and deceided to give a review on it.
Here is a link to the previous descions on this bag
HawkePak Rifle Bug out Bag

Front when load the flip just covers on the magazine pouches

The back is interested in that you can attach it to your belt, the belt loops are velcro so you can adjust the wideth and a thigh strap also. All can be easly removed. As you can see if you do have it attached to your belt you only need to unclip it to remove the bag

This give you an idea of want how many magazine it can take. Both the pistol and rifle magazine pouches have adjustible flaps. The rifle pouches will also hole a 50rd box of pistol ammo.

As you can see here the other pouch can easly hold a 32oz Nalgene bottle

Here is a look at the interior. On side does have an elastic loops
Behind the elastic webbind is a document pouch.
ImageImage

At each in is a pocket end for various things

There is a removible pocket that will hold things like IDs or in my case a HKS magazine loader

Now there are some issues as now thing is perfect. The flap is the only way to secure the opening of the bag, so if its not closed and lock and you fall all your gear is coming out. That has to be my biggest complant. Even though I wanted a low profile bag this fall into the semi-low proflie range in that you can see the magazine pouches though the black does lower their profile alittle. Its a great bag for taking to the range or as a grab and go bag. I hope my reveiw helps some folks out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:40 pm 

Is there a way for this thing to help carry your rifle?

-Erik

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:02 am 

Erik wrote:

-Erik

No. It's made to carry all the stuff to keep your rifle going in a bug out situation. It's really a great little bag and pretty low profile too. The guys on the Warrior Talk forum seem to like using the bags that folding camp chairs come in to discretely carry an AK or similar sized rifle.

I got one about 2 months ago and haven't come up with a finished gear list for it but I think it's a great option for carry your ammo, cleaning kit, individual FAK or VOK, a bottle of water, survival kit, a little bit of food, etc.

It's not meant to replace a full size bug out pack but it's a lot lower profile than bugging out wearing an assault vest or chest rig. I'll post some pics of mine too once I get it loaded up to my satisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:13 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Roadpirate wrote:
Erik wrote:

-Erik

The guys on the Warrior Talk forum seem to like using the bags that folding camp chairs come in to discretely carry an AK or similar sized rifle.

That's my solution as well. I happened to have one around, and also, I think maybe there's some kind of human logic that makes a person think a gun can't be inside a bag that's bright blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:11 pm 

Here's what you need if you want to carry it all.

http://www.downrangesports.com/browsepr ... -Pack.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:43 pm 

Problem with the gunslinger is, it LOOKS like something you'd carry a gun in.

The ideal at WarriorTalk was to have a bag that would not look like you had a gun in it.

Camp chair bags work. So do bags to hold a Yoga mat (tell me anyone is going to think a friggin YOGA bag is going to be packing an AK).

There's also tennis racket bags (will hold an folding AK), baseball bat bags and instrument cases. Only downside is those are all fairly high-profile for theft, people often wanting what they think is inside more than the gun that actually is inside.

As for the BOB, I ordered the black one. Reason being, thanks to metrosexuals :roll:, black is no longer a "stand-out" color, and magazines that are black in color (AK and Glock, in my case) stick out like sore thumbs in all the other colors. Even though the AK mags do hang out a little from under the flap, it's only the very corner and with the black on black color, they will handle casual scrutiny, or moderate scrutiny at longer distances.

Only real problem I had, was that the elastic that holds the rifle mags in was very tight, and had to be exercised a bit before I could get the AK mags in without a lot of effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:48 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I like the looks of the Gunslinger. It's big enough to carry useful gear, small enough to stay out of the way, protects the rifle, and you can tuck the scabbard out of the way when you aren't packing. If your fireamr had a folding stock, the only giveaway would be the bottom of the scabbard, which could be covered with a bedroll or something.
For all that, $200 doesn't sound bad. Has anyone on here owned/used one?

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:17 pm 

I'm probably going to get this in the next 3 months, I'll let you know what I think then. I figure with my AR-15 with stock collapsed it should easily allow me to fold down the top flap and as someone said a bed roll would cover the bottom. I have no idea when I'd need to sneak around with a rifle, you use a handgun if you want to conceal carry!
Here's a pic with the top flap down, it definitely doesn't draw much atention and you're much more mobile than while you are busy being clever with a yoga mat.

Here it is completely buttoned up,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:15 pm 

#1 Zack Killer wrote:
Here's a pic with the top flap down, it definitely doesn't draw much atention and you're much more mobile than while you are busy being clever with a yoga mat.

Not really.

The plus of the Yoga bag/ camp chair bag, even tennis racket bag, you can access and fire the weapon from inside the bag. You'll not get to it quickly with that bag.

Everything has plusses and minuses. Pick what works for you.