Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAS 49-56 and FAL mags
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So I picked up a MAS 49-56 in .308win. I heard I could convert a FAL mag to fit it pretty easily. All I would need to do is attach the Mag catch on the magazine and possibly do some filing. My question is, are there any of the similar rifles that would work as well. Like the G3/HK91/CETME and such. I see some cheaper G3 mags and others, but fal mags are pushing 50 dollars these days. I would prefer to work and chop on a cheaper mag than the 50 dollar FAL mags.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 am 

Mags for the FM 24/29 light machine gun will apparently work.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=398886

Here's a source for them.

FM 24/29 Mags from IMA - $9 (*Click*)

I owned an MAS 49/56 and when I owned it I thought about doing the same thing a couple times. Mine was in 7.5, but I didn't feel like sinking a bunch of money into such a project and when ammo became really scarce (it was never all that plentiful to begin with) I sold it. Cool rifle though, lot of history. Kind of like a French version of the FN-49.

"Cynicism is my armor, sarcasm my sword and apathy my shield."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 pm 

I had a MAS set up this way a few years ago. In fact, it had the magazine mod and also an adjustable gas system mod. The guy I bought it off of said he had a 'smith in North Carolina do the mods and they were apparently such a large PITA that he would never do one again. Said the magazine mod was the hardest, which I found interesting. Aside from "because I can" reasons, I don't really see a reason to do something like this, since the thing is so heavy and they're plenty of better options out there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm 

If you did want to try using FAL mags, your best bet would be to order 'em from DSA, I think - they were charging about $25 per for both 20 and 30 round units. Of course, like everyone else, they're backordered right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I really appreciate the start. I'm ordering 3 of the 24/29 Machine Gun Box Magazines to see if I can work them to it. I'm a little worried about mine being .308. my father in law has a MAS in 7.5mm and these will turn into birthday presents if they only work in 7.5mm :awesome:

I'm just in need of a mag catch now. I don't want to ruin my only mag and I'm just going to see what I can find at the hardware store. Do you guys think I could just find a new part or should I be salvaging from old 49/56 mags? I'll probably end up trying one and if it works stopping at that. Whichever is cheaper first of course.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll make a video of my process once they arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm 

Probably easier to salvage old catches than to fabricate new ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Brandr wrote:

Easier yes, but defiantly not cheaper. I can't find these mags under 20 dollars right now. I'll keep searching and please let me know if you guys find anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 pm 

Slugg wrote:
Brandr wrote:

Easier yes, but defiantly not cheaper. I can't find these mags under 20 dollars right now. I'll keep searching and please let me know if you guys find anything.

What about using an easy to find and cheap gun part for the mag catch with a hole drilled in it with a metal spring clip to provide tension?

That's all it looks like really.

For example an AR-10 or AR-15 bolt catch and then grind off that back piece that juts out, leave the hole, but round the underside (as a fulcrum) and then shape the end into a claw. Then use a butterfly shaped spring to provide tension.

Another angle with both AR-10 and 15 bolt catches in the pic.

I looked real quick and I found some for $10 (AR-15) or $16 (AR-10).

All this would require quite a bit of filing, fitting and a bit of spot welding. Just throwing out an idea.

Edit : Found some at Sarco for $7.50 a pop.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=Ar15+bolt+catch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thank you browning, I'm probably going to do something like that. I'll hit up a few local surplus stores and check out the local funshows to see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 pm 

Sure, no problem. I don't know if it's all that great of an idea, but it's a place to start.

At least with actual gun parts you know that the steel's good.

Automotive parts might be an idea too. Wandering around some 'pick-a-part' place might be time consuming, but you might find a whole lot of decent scrap metal of the approximate size you're looking for at almost zero cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So the mags came in today that I ordered. They don't fit in initially, but it seems like a simple fix. There is some kind of load assist type thing on the rear of the mag. Also, there is a little tooth for a mag catch on the original firearm. So with a dremel tool and some work we will see how it goes. I have 3 so I'll have room for error. Here are the comparison pics before I start.

Sorry, I'm not a good photographer at all. I just hope it helps you get the visual of my project.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I just finished working on this for the night. I learned how to use a dremel tool along with this project, so yes my metalwork is horrible. I'm just glad I got done what I did.

Here is how the mag "fit" before I started. Yes its backwards, but I was just holding it up to the rifle for a second to show its obviously bigger than the magwell.

Here is the mag apart.

After some cutting with the new dremel tool i got for christmas.

Pow it fits in the magwell.

So everything was running perfect, until I realized a problem. The angle that the metal lips of the mag for the 24/29 are different than the 49/56(my rifle) So the rear part of the lips are perfectly against the rifle where they should be. But, the front of the lips are lower, and no matter how much I remove from the front of the mag, its not going to fit in at the correct angle so the lips are lined up properly. So the round just gets pushed into the rifle below the feed ramp. Here are the pics of my original mag, and then my new homemade one.

Original.

New modified mag.

My ideas where to look next are either a new follower that points the rounds up more, or modify the lips of the mag. I'm just not sure how I can modify the lips of the mag. I guess I get 3 tries at it, but I'd like some second opinions on this before I start hacking anything else.