Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Here is a thread for showing off your CB, ham radio, or other communications setups. They can be in your vehicle, at home, or wherever you're talking from. Pictures and links only, please.

I'll start. Here's the amateur (ham) radio station I have set up in my basement:

From left to right, I have...
...an MFJ antenna tuner so I can use my Windom Half-Square antenna on several different HF bands
...my Icom-718 HF transceiver. This is the radio I use to talk worldwide. I bought it brand new from a ham who had won it at a hamfest, so I got it for $100 below the retail price.
...a Tom Barrasso Iron City beer can from the early 90s. Go Pens!!
...behind the beer can, the blue box is a power supply
...on the far right, sitting on the matchbox, is my Radio Shack 2 meter transceiver. I need to work on it, since there is only one volume - all the way up.

The 2 meter antenna is a homemade dipole thumbtacked to the basement ceiling. I can hit all the local repeaters, even with a ground-level antenna.

The HF antenna, as I said, is a Windom half-square up about 10 meters from the ground. It works on all the HF bands from 40 m to 10 m, except 15 m. I'm thinking of building a 20 meter quarter wave vertical as well since the one at work gets out so well.

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 pm 

So, here is the gear I had on me during the photoshoot this past weekend.
Note that I did not have the amplifier connected that day. Also I was using a single white ear bud instead of the earphones in the pics.
ImageImage
Radio: Yaesu VX-170 2 meter, 5 watt Hand Tranciever
Antenna: Homebrew "Jiffy Pole," see this link: http://hometown.aol.com/alonestaryank/MANPACK.html
Power source: 12v 7.5amp gel battery
Amplifier: Tokyo-Hypower HL-35V 35 watt amp
Accessories: Yaesu E-DC-5B 12v Cigarette Lighter Adapter. Yaesu MH-57 handmic. 4 ft SMA to PL-259 jumper cable. Nifty Quick-Reference Card. Koss earphones. Small carrying case for earphones.

The cig. lighter adapter provides filtered, regulated 12volts to my radio off the gel cell--for long lasting pleasure :D and can also simutaniously power the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:30 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Not very exciting but I thought I'd share. That desktop computer on the far left is what the forum is on (one of the mirrors anyway) as well as Kylenet.com.

The HF rig on the left isn't set up completely yet, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:34 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Snagged from the ZS networking thread:

Cromwell wrote:
Doctor Jest wrote:
I don't know how many Generals we have. Do you have one?...(snipped)....

You bet! See the fourth post in this thread for all the pertinent details!

Sounds like we may want to wait until Kyle and Ollie get the "/AG" after their name, if 2now and Ghostbear don't show up that often. Otherwise it will just be me and Dr. Jest. And while we will no doubt have a blast, it kind of leaves everyone else out in the cold.

But I am up for about any kind of QSO, with anyone who wants to shoot the breeze. Except my CW is a little..uh..a lot...rusty!

Kyle, I don't know what kind of rig Dr. Jest was gracious enough to supply you with, but for my radios I use a bank of 4 golf cart batteries to provide power. I thought about buying a power supply, but I spent the money on the batteries and a Vector "Smart Charger" instead. You can see them off to the left in this photo.

The battery bank has obvious uses besides powering radios, of course. Not much of a shack, but it works for me. Sorry about the mess.

Cromwell

Also I apologize for not getting the size (width, specifically) of my post under control. I don't know how to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:32 pm 

Here is my little shack.
Icom 718,270,2100
Yaesu ft-50r

Running G5RV jr. 40 ft up in the trees, 2 verticals vor V/U

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a Galaxy DX959 CB.
Kenwood TM-G707A (2m/440)
Astron 30amp power supply
MFJ power bus
Radio Shack PRO-2052 Scanner
Uniden Bearcat BC350 Scanner (not pictured)
2 Motorola Talkabout FRS/GMRS radios
Icom T7H Handheld (2m/440)(3rd pic)
Icom R20 Wide Band Receiver (not pictured)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 pm 

From left to right..
(bottom) MFJ Antenna Tuner
(top) Yaesu FT-7800-2m/440
Kenwood TS-480sat-HF and 6m, I did the MARS mod so I can use it to tx on CB also
Uniden GMRS/FRS HT's
Macbook....OSX lasted all of like 3 months lol...back to windows and im gonna put ubuntu on it as well.

Not pictured is a pyramid 35amp power supply below the desk, little mag-mount antenna for the yaesu that's sitting on the bookshelf nearby and a hustler vertical on the roof for hf.

The whole setup is gonna be moved to the basement eventually...Im remodeling upstairs so the shack is getting the boot for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Here's my setup. Icom IC-735 10-180m HF rig, Yaesu FT2500M 2 meters. Not shown are my 2 meter and 2m/440 HTs, or my new Vectronics 6m FM receiver kit. I still don't have a decent antenna for the HF rig, but it's coming.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:09 pm 

Here goes, not the fanciest setup but I think it will get the job done. Everything except the antenna and power pack fit into an emp resistant aluminum case with a gasket seal. I don't trust the gasket since the case is probably 15 years old, so everything that is sensitive to moisture goes into a plastic bag (or a water-proof bag, which is what the big yellow thing is in the 2nd pic). First, everything packed up:

The small black bag on the left is the antenna (didn't want to have to set it up, link: http://www.superantennas.com/html/mp-1_portable.html ), and the "jump 'n start" is the power pack. It has a 12 Ah sealed lead acid battery, two 12V cigarette lighter sockets with a combined max of 15 amps, a small area light and a neat little compartment for the charger. I got really lucky on this power pack. It was one of the cheapest ones I looked at at walmart, but it had the highest capacity battery, and the charger has the same voltage and amperage output, as well as the same plug with the same polarization as my NimH battery charger. This way I only need one adapter for both. On to the rest of the gear:

The solar panel removed showing the contents below. a 25 foot RG-8x coax cable and sheet with ham bands and instructions for the antenna.

VHF commo gear. All my vhf gear is handheld for now. From left to right: (3) frs radios with a few batteries. I have more AAA batteries but to keep the weight of the case down I keep them elsewhere. DC power connector for charging the ham HT's to the right, along with a wall wart charger. (12) 2100 mAh Nimh batteries for the HT's and the scanner. A NiCad battery for the HT's, along with (2) AA battery cases. Vertex standard VX-150 2m HT, yaesu FT-60R 2m/440 HT. Both these take the same batteries and charger, and have water resistant cast-aluminum chassis. The radio farthest to the right is a radio shack scanner for police/fire/air bands. And last but not least a 4 cell AA or AAA Nimh and nicad quick charger. The wall wart is attached but it runs off a 12V cigarette plug as well (didn't get a pic of that).

HF commo gear. Alinco DX-70T HF+6m transceiver and cheap autotuner.

eton crank radio with am/fm/tv bands

Power pack and topray solar fold-up solar panel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:24 pm 

Station of K8CIX. Back Up Power is Solar powered. Bug Out Station can be packed and ready to leave to "hole in the wall" in 15 min. Bug Out Station is Solar powered and can operate indefinetly on all amateur bands. (Icom 751A)(Full 2 meter and 400mHZ also) (county radio system and repeaters access available). Roger K8CIX

Last edited by k8cix on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 pm 

Here is what I started with. Yaesu VX-5R and a homemade J-Pole.

I am now using a Yaesu FT-2800M as a 2m base.

Homemade J-Pole mounted to the plumbing vent.

A homemade 6m dipole. There is not a lot of 6m traffic around here, plus my HT is the only radio I have that will do 6m so its put up for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This is a photo of my very basic radio setup. I now work mostly digital modes useing a Icom IC-718. The Kenwood TS-520S is used for SSB on some of the local nets and to talk with friends. Having owned a lot of the higher end rigs, I find I enjoy the simple rigs and setups.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 am 

IC-E20
aldol MMG-SM Minimag/Diamond SRH-940
FRS/PMR446 radio's
Uniden UBC-3500XLT
Directional antenna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 pm 

Here is my updated shack.

MFJ-941D tuner
Yaesu FT-897 HF/VHF/UHF transceiver
MFJ-44256 power supply

For antennas, I am using a J-Pole for 2m, a homemade dipole and a Butterneut HF6V vertical for HF.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:05 am 

Portland Office of Emergency Management's new mobile radio center. They just bought this a few days ago. This is the 3rd time they've ever set it up. They're going to get a 6500w generator, a trailer, and some solar panels next so they can last longer when they are mobile. (Currently they estimate they'll be good for "days" with the battery). I didn't want to inline the big photo so click through to see details:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:24 am 

Icom IC-706MKIIG all-mode transceiver provides 100 watts on HF and 6 meters and 50 watts on 2 meters plus 20 watts on 440 MHz. It receives from 30 kHz to 199 MHz and from 400 to 470 MHz.
The IC-706MKIIG goes mobile with us.
The Yaesu FT-767GX is an all-mode HF transceiver covering 160 to 10 meters bands. Plus optional band module for 2meters. Radio includes a built in HF antenna tuner. It's an oldie, but, works great.
Base antenna; Gap Challenger DX Bands: 80, 40, 20, 15, 12, 10, 6, and 2 Meters. (Tuner in Yaesu does a good job getting even more out of the antenna than what is listed.)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm 

just me on a field trip. Las Vegas is Hot!!!! (KE7NJN)

& at home.............

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:10 pm 

I seem to have a fetish for green radios and here are a few of my favorites. These are probably the latest mil radios you can legally own and anything newer will probably have embedded Type 1 encryption that you really don't want to be associated with.

The front unit is a Harris PRC-138 25w HF/VHF manpack, 1.6 to 60MHz continuous AM/FM/SSB/Digital voice/frequency hopping/encryption. It has a built in antenna tuner that will tune anything and the radio is full DSP with selectable IF bandwidths and syllabic squelch.

The rear radio is a Harris PRC-117D(E) that covers 30 to 420MHz AM and FM with frequency hopping.

Radio Guy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Flea wrote:
I have a Galaxy DX959 CB.
Kenwood TM-G707A (2m/440)
Astron 30amp power supply
MFJ power bus
Radio Shack PRO-2052 Scanner
Uniden Bearcat BC350 Scanner (not pictured)
2 Motorola Talkabout FRS/GMRS radios
Icom T7H Handheld (2m/440)(3rd pic)
Icom R20 Wide Band Receiver (not pictured)

I know this is an old post, but damn nice rig

I've used the newer iCOMS at my old job and they are nifty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 pm 

I work 20 meters and 40 meters with the Icom 718 with folded dipoles at 35 feet. I work 2 meters, 440 and 220 with the Yaesu FT-60 and Yaesu VX-6.

Ed
KI4SBU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm 

CWL wrote:
Portland Office of Emergency Management's new mobile radio center. They just bought this a few days ago. This is the 3rd time they've ever set it up. They're going to get a 6500w generator, a trailer, and some solar panels next so they can last longer when they are mobile. (Currently they estimate they'll be good for "days" with the battery). I didn't want to inline the big photo so click through to see details:

Funny. I built that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:59 am 

Here's mine so far:

Alinco DJ175T 2 Meter HT

Cobra SSB/AM CB

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Since all the guys in my PAW Posse live within 5 miles of each other, we all just picked up the basic Icom from hamcity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:07 pm 

First post I've made on ZS in forever, and well I figured what better than this.

Home and Portable set up.

Yaesu FT100
MFJ 16010 Antenna Tuner
29ft Random Wire Antenna, and not shown is the Dual Band 2m/70cm Jpole.

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter